RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Procedure/checklist for turbine aircraft maintenance (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/1532683-procedure-checklist-turbine-aircraft-maintenance.html)

Ragz 02-16-2004 05:59 AM

Procedure/checklist for turbine aircraft maintenance

As I await a new set of wheels for my p120 powered roo, I would like to do a thorough check of all the systems. This being my first turbine powered jet, I want to develop correct practices for maintenance. During the last two flights, I noticed that the engine did not ignite in the first 5 seconds of the stater motor spooling. It ignited in the second attempt attempt. I figured its time for a check up of all vital system parameters like fuel filters, UAT, clunk etc. Does anyone have a proper check list for this? Moreover, would someone like to share their experiences of what should be checked and how it should be done. Last week my friend had a flameout on his brand new Behotec engine on its 7th flight. The engine survived, the plane did not. I want to be very careful.

viper1 02-18-2004 06:21 AM

RE: Procedure/checklist for turbine aircraft maintenance

Anurag,

I'm a bit surprised nobody replied on this post yet. Specially because RC-Jet fliers are known for logging their flights.
I'm just starting as well, about 25 flights on my Facet, and thus far I only keep small notes about every flight like location, flight time, and notes if something odd happened.
I had thoughts to make a sort of log as well, small, with only the necessary things in it. And as you mentioned with a maintenance schedule in it (like between every 4 flights oil the propane solenoid, things like that)
Maybe we should work together on this one?

Regards, Gert

Ragz 02-18-2004 12:00 PM

sure viper...we are ON. lets devise a good system. mail me offline and we can talk abt this. I think its imp for the longevity of our jets.

Wayne22 02-18-2004 09:20 PM

I have not written anything down, but before the first flight of the day, and during assembly I check everything by doing a very thorough preflight, starting at one wing and working my way around the plane clockwise. I check every servo screw, linkage, hinge, surface integrity, wing bolts, wheels, brakes, canopy, as well as the interior including servo connections, fuel and propane lines, tanks (full and no bubbles in the lines) battery voltages, antenna...everything. And before each flight I have a thorough ritual check fuel, propane, switches, fuel valve, volatage and receiver switch, as well as making sure that the fire extinguisher is in place and within reach of one of us....

Kevin Greene 02-18-2004 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Ragz

As I await a new set of wheels for my p120 powered roo, I would like to do a thorough check of all the systems. This being my first turbine powered jet, I want to develop correct practices for maintenance. During the last two flights, I noticed that the engine did not ignite in the first 5 seconds of the stater motor spooling. It ignited in the second attempt attempt. I figured its time for a check up of all vital system parameters like fuel filters, UAT, clunk etc. Does anyone have a proper check list for this? Moreover, would someone like to share their experiences of what should be checked and how it should be done. Last week my friend had a flameout on his brand new Behotec engine on its 7th flight. The engine survived, the plane did not. I want to be very careful.

Hi Ragz!!!

Your engine failing to ignite on the last two attempts could be due two things...The first just over filling the start gas reservoir. Too much pressure will cause an incorrect air/fuel ratio and the engine will not ignite. Too much gas is as bad as too little. Also, a large change in weather can cause a failed gas ignition. I've found that colder weather really affects the gas air/fuel ratio and gas pressure. You have to compensate at times for abrupt weather changes.

The other probable cause could be the glow plug. What was once a favorable air/fuel ratio setting for the plug to ignite could now have become unfavorable due to the plug deteriorating. The plug, when new, glows very hot, but with time and starts the plug can develop resistance. This causes the plug to not burn as hot as when new. A new hot plug will start a turbine more easily if there is a little too much gas on start up than old plug.

I would change the plug, noting that you must expose the coils. Exposing the coils is best done after the plug has been annealed. To anneal the plug just connect it to a 1.5-2.0 DC voltage source long enough for the coil to burn bright. This makes the coil less brittle, enabling you to easily pull out the coil with out breaking it.

If the changing the plug does not solve your problem then I would look into seeing if you are using too much gas for your given temperature at the time of the failed ignitions. You should fill the reservoir exactly the same every time. This gives you a base line. Then, you can use your GSU to alter the propane ratio up or down for consistent starts. Also, check in your GSU to see what your plug voltage is. I believe I have mine at 2 volts and it starts easily. My propane setting is so that I get a very gentle poof on ignition and I refill the gas reservoir before every start to ensure consistent starts. Just my .02....:D

Kevin

hornet driver 02-19-2004 03:07 AM

fuel filters.....your filter and its cleanlyness is directly related to how you store it...how pure it is..do you strain it ( filter it good enough ) in the fueling process...where you got it....and all the bad things that can happen to your supplier and right on down the supply chain...i could go on and on....therefore ...since we use amt..and their edt has a ...vmax display to show max voltage used during the flight...i always make note of the vmax...thus telling me my filters are in good shape ....if i ever get a high voltage i start looking...and begin with the filter...since i have great sources and i am very annal as to pre filtering...i have yet to have any problems yet with clogged filters......however last summer a god friend who has had turbines for 6 years flamed his jetcat and crashed ( totaled the plane )...and whne investigating his fule filter looked like a unflushed toilet after fat ******* sat on it.......awe if he only had an amt!!!!!!!!he would still be flying it...as i would of looked for it...btw the jetcat have a vmax display

hornet driver

FlyinTiger 12-24-2012 01:10 PM

There's some good info to be found on the Jet Pilot's Organization web page and on BVM's site:

http://www.jetpilots.org/knowledge_b...aintenance.pdf

http://www.jetpilots.org/knowledge_b...rturbineen.pdf

http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/Safety/safety.htm

Jet Cat manual has a ton of great information for turbine users to know that applies to all brands. Page 39 has a "Maintenance" section, but this is just for the turbine itself, not the airframe. Also, on page 5 of the Jet Cat manual there is a generic starting/shutdown checklist (not for maintenance though):

http://www.jetcat.de/downloads/manualp60p200eng.pdf

Most turbine and jet manufacturers/distributors make the assumption that every turbine pilot is an experienced modeler (builder). In the age of ARFs, it is quite possible that a good number of people have never actually built (not just assembled) an aircraft from the raw components.

A good working knowledge of glue and some composites knowledge could come in handy. Anyone can search for and read about "Aeropoxy" and composite technologies independent of the RC jet threads/sites to gain more knowledge.

Great thread! I hope to see some good stuff posted on here that others find...when I finish my checklist and information packet for new jet turbine pilots that I'm building for a club beginner's turbine course I will post it here for all to critique and make recommendations/suggestions on. If you have one already I'd be glad to read it and pass you feedback.

Boomerang1 12-24-2012 02:23 PM

The Australian MAAA has a published check list:

http://www.maaa.asn.au/maaa/mop/form...Feb%202011.pdf

Is this what you are looking for?

John.

rctech2k7 12-25-2012 10:57 AM

My simple checklist when doing preventive maintenance for turbine jet:

1. Radio and electronics
__ check receiver connections, mounting and antenna
__ power switches and wiring
__ servo leads and connections
2. Batteries
__ full load test
__ charge and dischage capacity test if needed
3. Landing gear and doors
__ retracts, gear trunion and cylinder
__ mounting block, bolts and plates
__ struts and shock absorber
__ cleaning if needed
__ lubrications
__ tire, wheel bushing, security and locks
__ door cylinders and hinges
__ air lines and connections
__ check leaks for gear down and up
__ wheel brakes
__ nose gear steering mechanism
4. Airframe structure
__ seam lines, connection and joints
__ wing structures and attachments
__ tail surfaces and security
__ openings, latches and locks
__ jet intake
5. Flight controls
__ control surfaces joints and hinges
__ horn, control arms and linkage
__ servo mounting and screws
__ mechanism, locks, bolts and nuts
6 Engine
__ turbine mounting, strap and bolts
__ exhaust pipe security, attachment and inside wear and tear
__ thermal insulation and protections
__ ECU, electrical leads and connections
__ turbine intake obstruction
__ electric starter
7. Fuel system
__ check fuel lines for leak and obstructions
__ fuel filter
__ valves and fittings
__ fuel tanks mounting and structures
__ filling and emptying

Hope it helps. Merry Christmas to everyone...!