RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/2394577-new-arf-boomerang-14lb-thrust.html)

digitech 04-21-2005 07:37 AM

RE: new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Sandor

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Alan,
Any progress on the new manual with pictures?

I'm getting alot of PM's from Intro builders with questions.

Dave

Dave to be honnest
most info can be found here
this topic has become a "phone book"o f pictures ,questions , and answers
i think the manual is pretty clear as is and just needs more info the next time he makes a revision
but then maybe there will be a price increase...
Sandor,
I'm just asking as Alan has posted to this group he is working on it. I'm sure it will answer alot of the questions I'm being asked. I posted a bunch of pictures to help out in the meantime. I'm sure Alan is working to get this out as soon as possible to new and existing customers. MOST qquestions have to do with the retract install.
Remember most customers are first time turbine pilots and the lack of install pics and info can be frustrating. To an old hand like yourself..."We don't need no stinking instructions!"

Dave

Dave

well i gave up the full retracts and just made them solid but with my own oleo system
it seems not much difference in speed with gear in
i will search for myself for a cheaper solution then the spring air,s
and will make a combo package that will work perfectly

Budgy545 04-21-2005 11:25 PM

mkguyuk

Just got going on my new intro and coming along quite quickly now.

Would like to stick the cockpit panel detail in you have before gluing the canopy. Do you have a higher resolution photo you can email me which I can then print off on our colour laser? pm me for email address if you have. Cheers

Just installing the nose wheel at the moment and this seems fine. Had to remove the servo mount over to the other side as stupidly fitted the springair valve on the wrong side ( to get the nose leg centred taking into account the coil spring) Anyway, the servo mount wood work snapped out ok without taking too much wood away and I am in the throws of reglung the mount on the other side. I will post some progress photos shortly.

Overall impression of "kit" so far is excellent.

Anyone

I hear that there maybe a glass fibre version of the intro in the pipework, is this true?

Also, anyone got a good source of intake grill mesh so that I can do themods identified on here. Tea strainers have been mentioned but the ones I have seen are curved.

Another also, does anyone know where I can get the battery power handheld compressor for putting air in the retracts? The one that looks like a rechargable screwdriver.

Thanks

Ian

john agnew 04-22-2005 02:31 AM

Ian

PM me your address and I will send you some mesh. I got mine from rcguy!

John

rorywquin 04-22-2005 02:39 AM

I know John is sending you mesh, but for future reference the tea / flour strainer mesh flattens perfectly because it is woven! I used it on all my intakes (2 existing plus 2 new)

saddler 04-22-2005 10:15 AM

Can someone post their thoughts on the fixed gear setup of this airplane. I want to keep the cost down and keep the airplane simple by installing the fixed gear. I have read all 18 pages of this thread and although people have mentioned they installed the fixed gear, not much has been mentioned about whether or not they had any problems or how it is holding up? I know there was some information about the gear blocks splitting but has this been solved? I would just like some info from someone who has installed the fixed gear.

TIA

john agnew 04-22-2005 10:39 AM

Saddler

If you read my early posts you will get my views on the fixed gear. The noseleg is ok as it is sprung but the supplied steering tiller arm needs replacing, I used a springair one( see pics) The main gear blocks need replacing with solid hardwood to avoid splitting. Alan may be able to supply these by now. The main gear legs should be replaced with sprung legs. These should be available at a good model shop otherwise springair ones should do the job.

With this setup you should not have any problems.

John

saddler 04-22-2005 12:45 PM

John,

Thanks for the info. I read your earlier posts about the gear legs being weak but it didn't elaborate much on the details of what you found. I talked to Patricia and she said she would send a springair nose leg as it is weak and also recommended shortening the mains by 1" as they are too long. I am trying to get this info before i order an airplane. I have not seen one in person yet so i am not familiar with the method Alan has come up with to make the fixed gear. I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel when it comes to this yet i still want to stay with fixed gear if possible.

Thanks

Meesh 04-22-2005 01:11 PM

All you would have to do is take the laminated blocks in the kit and cut a solid piece of hardwood the same size.

Should be easy enough.

Bob

TREADSTONE. 04-22-2005 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Budgy545
..Another also, does anyone know where I can get the battery power handheld compressor for putting air in the retracts? The one that looks like a rechargable screwdriver....
Thanks
Ian
..Ian

Give Ali a call at Al's Hobbies i think he has some left...stood next to him last Saturday when he pumped up the retracts on the big Zero he flew with an O.S. Sirius..... [:-]certainly made life easy

David.

Wayne22 04-22-2005 09:17 PM

stood next to him last Saturday

hobnobbing again, sir ??????????

:D

TREADSTONE. 04-22-2005 09:35 PM

Oh No..... You again...:D.....

We Were down there purely by accident...;).... it was a flying doo next to the "Shuttleworth Collection"....which is well worth a vist i might add..:)....No Moose anywhere to be seen..:D L8R..

David.

Wayne22 04-22-2005 10:42 PM

..I was going to ask for your autograph !!! :D If there was any hope that a little bit of that talent would rub off on me, I would be standing next to Ali too !!!!!

"Shuttleworth Collection"....which is well worth a vist i might add..
yeah, that is one on the to-do list..........

TREADSTONE. 04-23-2005 12:02 AM

...Where's that Aviation /Engineering/Transport mueseum in Canada...Ontario someplace..?...I can Remember going but not where....:eek:

Wayne22 04-23-2005 12:17 AM

Are you thinking of the science and technology museum (or what ever it is called now) that had some aviation stuff including the nose of an Arrow?? If so, it's in Ottawa.......

mkguyUK 04-23-2005 12:34 AM

Hi Ian

I posted the pic at the res I downloaded it from, you can always email me at [email protected] and I will send you it via email, it might come out better, I printed it using a ink jet and it looked fine...

I was down at Abingdon yesterday and saw around 5 Intros there, think it is safe to say they all had the shortest take off roll :D I took some film and have made a short 30 min DVD of some of the action, it was quite windy but a good day, my Intro is very close to being ready, I am just finalising a Powerbox back up battery system, waiting for a pilot from Petes Pilots, and fine tune the C of G and thats about it..... I have decided to go for 265 mm from trailing edge, that equates to 185mm from leading edge...

Nice to meet some of the posters from this thread at Abingdon yesterday, if any of you guys want a copy of my very amatuer DVD taken yesterday drop me an email and I will post you one out.....

Andrew

smartmove 04-23-2005 02:38 AM

How about encoding your DVD and putting it online? I'm sure one of us will be able to host it for you (let me know and I can do it).

mkguyUK 04-23-2005 04:39 AM

It about 5 gig DV quality raw AVI and compressed to around 1 gig for DVD format VOB etc..... I am quite happy to send the DVD to someone who can host that size file...... I got some nice planes on it including Ali flying the airliner.....

Andrew

smartmove 04-23-2005 05:12 AM

ORIGINAL: mkguyUK

It about 5 gig DV quality raw AVI and compressed to around 1 gig for DVD format VOB etc..... I am quite happy to send the DVD to someone who can host that size file...... I got some nice planes on it including Ali flying the airliner.....

Andrew
Well, the 30mins of video could be encoded to windows media or real video and this would make it much more "hostable". Sent you a PM.

FELIrc 04-23-2005 09:26 AM

Hi everyone. Does anyone knows what is the top structural speed of the airplane? Is the airplane capable of flying above 150mph?

mkguyUK 04-23-2005 10:49 AM

Hi Simon

Thanks for your offer, I will post the DVD out to you....

Budgy545 04-23-2005 10:50 AM

With regards to the mesh, would it be ok to just place the mesh over the holes behind the scoops or is the debris in question which may be drawn into the scoops small enough to go through the mesh. Hence move the air intake out of the airstream in question

Cheers

Ian

mkguyUK 04-23-2005 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Re the FOD guard, I bought a mesh strainer for £1 and used a rubber grommet to hold it in place, the grmmet has a channel built in to hold the rough edges from the cut mesh, I reckon that with the guard over the engine airtake it will stop anything regardless of how and where it came in....

Andrew

rorywquin 04-25-2005 03:01 AM

Gents

What wheels are you using on your retracts ? I have the Robart scale wheels on mine and they dont really seem up to the job. I lost a tyre on my first flight (admittedly, I did not check that the rim halves were properly screwed together) and now that wheel is definitely not holding up as well as it should. Is it because the rim got scuffed when I landed without the tyre? It looks like a punctured wheel !

I am considering filling the tyres with some sort of RTV rubber. Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks

john agnew 04-25-2005 03:08 AM

Rory

Filling the wheels with dense foam will make them much firmer. I think you might be able to get some from Motor & Rotors as it is supplied with the Eurokit wheels which are also too soft without the inserts. Dave Wilshire will maybe know of another source if he has no spare Eurokit foam.

John

rcguy! 04-25-2005 04:51 AM

ORIGINAL: rorywquin

Gents

What wheels are you using on your retracts ? I have the Robart scale wheels on mine and they dont really seem up to the job. I lost a tyre on my first flight (admittedly, I did not check that the rim halves were properly screwed together) and now that wheel is definitely not holding up as well as it should. Is it because the rim got scuffed when I landed without the tyre? It looks like a punctured wheel !

I am considering filling the tyres with some sort of RTV rubber. Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks
We use Robart scale wheels WITH the foam inserts. I believe Robart recommends the foam insert with aircraft over 12 pounds. No trouble at all with 15 or so flights.

Dave Rigotti