RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/2394577-new-arf-boomerang-14lb-thrust.html)

KBFI 12-02-2004 05:24 AM

new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Looks like this will be a good one. I just noticed they put up some more info on the ARF. I called Alan and he says there will be a new video on his ARF shortly and the design has been improved on from the original kit. I find it hard to believe, but he says it was flown mostly in a 75 yard area on the video. I'm curious to see that. I guess the total weight dry with a P60 is 14 lbs. The name for the new airplane is Boomerang Intro. Here is a link: http://easytoflyjets.com/kits.htm

Turbinac 12-09-2004 06:05 PM

RE: new Arf Boomerang 14lb thrust

Go to http://www.friesianflyer.co.uk/videos/boomerang.wmv for the video. The last 3 minutes are Ali at his amazing best!

KBFI 12-09-2004 07:03 PM

Yep, glad I got my name on the list!

Tom Antlfinger 12-10-2004 01:45 AM

Hi Alan:

Seasons greetings!

Re: ARF Boomer-----Will there be enough room in the engine bay to fit an air-start AMT Mercury? I have a couple of them, looking for a home.....

My Big Boomer is finally finished and glassed---ready for paint.....will be flying this spring....gonna be my short-grass field bird.....

Tom

Ali 12-10-2004 06:01 AM

Tom Hi,
The Mercury can be made to fit but you will have to trim half a former to clear the starter unit. The main problem is that this is the wrong engine for this model. Far too much power for the boomerang intro. But there is always the throttle stick.
Hope you enjoy the big boomer.

Tom Antlfinger 12-10-2004 09:50 AM

Thanks for the input, Ali.......Alan's Intro is looking to be a perfect plane to throw in the back of the minivan, wings on, with a jug of fuel and a tranny, for a couple of quick flights when the sun is getting low.....

Tom

Ali 12-10-2004 09:51 AM

For sure.

lbrannan 12-11-2004 01:13 PM

Ali - if you were the pilot in the video...you are great! Would a 11.5 lb SWB turbine provide enough "oomph" to take the Boomerang ARF off a grass field?

thanks,

Larry Brannan

Tom Antlfinger 12-11-2004 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Turbinac
The last 3 minutes are Ali at his amazing best!
Actually Alan, looks like Ali is just warming up on that video.....you know, nothing too risky with Alan's prototype......:D

I seem to remember Ali really getting his MoJo on at FJ 2002 with the Big Boomer...... Rolling Circles around the windsock, but only 1/2 as high as the windsock (ala Quique Somenzini), and that landing approach starting with a Blender, carrying the Inverted, Flat Spin till he almost touched the fins, and then onto a base and final, inverted, only going back upright when barely 1/2 wingspan above the runway, finally stopping at his toes.....all deadstick, if memory serves.....had all the Yankee Hot Sticks wondering who the new kid on the block was.....;)

Tom

wd40 12-11-2004 05:18 PM

I will have to get one.

trumpetjet 12-11-2004 05:41 PM

Looks good, but $770 USD. Ouch! Im glad I got my kit version!

Nathan

Robrow 12-12-2004 12:58 PM

Hi Ali, I mailed Alan but so far no reply. Does the Intro have flaps ? I have a requirement for an ultra short take off run model and wondered what was the shortest distance you could get it off in ?

Thanks, Rob.

KBFI 12-12-2004 02:30 PM

Yes, it has flaps.

Robrow 12-12-2004 02:49 PM

Great !!..any idea of t/o roll ?

Rob.

Ali 12-13-2004 04:55 AM

It really depends on thrust, weight and length of grass.
The model in the video has a Jet cat P-60 and is flying from the longest wettest grass I would suggest and it takes approx 30 meters to get airborne. On short grass and held back before release this take off length can come down to 20 meters. Funnily enough I found that flap made very little to no difference to take off length. Great for landing but not so for take off.
Larry. The swb Will be ideal. Plenty of power and nice and light.
Tom,
I thought I would target the more conservative flyer in that video. Some people told me that watching the big one fly put them off jets for life;)
To be fair I have such a blast just stooging around with the intro I forget to do all that animal stuff. I guess I must be getting old.

Turbinac 12-24-2004 10:39 AM

Here's a shorter link "just stooging around." I like this one. http://www.friesianflyer.co.uk/boomerang1.wmv

rcguy! 02-20-2005 12:29 PM

Anybody take delivery of the Boomerang Intro ARF yet? Love to see a post on your first impressions.

Dave Rigotti

3Demon 02-20-2005 01:50 PM

As far as I am aware the container only cleared the docks on Friday so as of Monday they should start shipping.
I have one of the first kits in the workshop right now and I am very impressed by the quality and some of the neat little ideas already built in. All the woods seems geat and the covering is neat and tight. For the money I couldnt ask for any more.

jlmaviation 02-20-2005 09:42 PM

I spoke to Alan's sister in Texas on Saturday to find out the status of my order. She said if the cantainer arrives the first week of March than she will start sending them out around March 8th. for the U.S. buyers.

rcguy! 02-20-2005 11:15 PM

3D,
Thanks for the reply. Can you post a few pictures of it? Looks like us Yanks will have to wait until almost mid-March for ours to arrive at our doors!

Dave Rigotti

john agnew 02-22-2005 12:33 PM

My Intro came through the letterbox this morning! It's about half built already. Just the control linkages and fixed landing gear to install tomorrow and it'll be ready for the turbine and radio installation. Going to use my Wren 54 Mk3 manual start, Dry weight looks like being
13 1/2 - 14lbs wiil try and post some pics tomorrow.

John Agnew

rcguy! 02-22-2005 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: john agnew

My Intro came through the letterbox this morning! It's about half built already. Just the control linkages and fixed landing gear to install tomorrow and it'll be ready for the turbine and radio installation. Going to use my Wren 54 Mk3 manual start, Dry weight looks like being
13 1/2 - 14lbs wiil try and post some pics tomorrow.

John Agnew
Thanks!

Dave Rigotti

kmorgan 02-23-2005 05:04 AM

Good to hear, quess that means that mine will be here any moment provided the post can make way through the snow. Alan informed me last week that all prepaid UK orders would be dispatched the beginning of this week, can't wait to make a start. Will post weights for components when I have them.

Cheers

Kevin

DocYates 02-23-2005 08:52 AM

Yes, please keep us posted, as some of us are waiting patiently for the ships to arrive here in the New World bringing us some new toys. Tell us about the covering? servo placement and reccomendations? Retracts? Hardware?
Thanksin advance.
TOmmy

john agnew 02-23-2005 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok Guys

Here is the Intro after about 12 hours work. Only radio install and control linkages to complete. Very easy build model is well designed with some clever features.Only negatives are quality of fixed gear noseleg as supplied and CG. It looks like some church roof will be required in the nose or much larger batteries. 2700 mah nimh fitted at present. Specs are Wren 54 Mk3 manual start Hitec 5625 digitals on airelon / elevator 635hb's on rudders. As you can see the Dubro 64 oz is a perfect fit with a 6oz Graupner hopper up front final weight dry should be under 14lbs depending on noseweight req. Sorry about the first pic flash did not seem to work as you can see we have snow in Glasgow today.

John Agnew