RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   F-86 Color Scheme (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/249796-f-86-color-scheme.html)

Charlie H. 08-29-2002 10:10 PM

F-86 Color Scheme

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys
I'm planning my color scheme for my F-86 project.I've saw BVM F-86 painted white fuse, trimmmed in orange with black on the nose.It had Navy markings with stars and bars.Wondering if anybody could give me the history on this scheme.

Thanks
Charlie H.

F900 08-29-2002 10:30 PM

F-86

The BVM F-86 you have pictured was mine before i sold it, I'm assuming you took that at Florida jets 2002.

I have looked on the web and books extensively for these Navy markings and have been unable to find any.

The best i can tell you is that Pro-mark make the complete set of decals for that scheme.

I have seen Few F-86s painted like the one mine was, there was another F-86 at FJ2002 the same except orange and white , as mine is red and white

You can see more pictures of it in my gallery

Good Look !!

Robert

Harley Condra 08-29-2002 11:12 PM

North American F-1 Fury

Charlie H,
Here's a brief history on the airplane:
In 1951, the Navy ordered a prototype of the USAF's F-86 Sabre, with certain modifications for shipboard use. It was designated XFJ-2, and was little more than an F-86 with a tailhook. Shortly thereafter, the Navy procured the second variant, the XFJ-2B, which had folding wings and four 20mm cannons. The production FJ-2 followed and went into service with Marine Squadron VMF-122 in January 1954.
It was followed by the FJ-3, which became the first "Fury" model to operate from a carrier, the USS Forrestal in 1956. There were many variants from that point forward, but concluded with the FJ-4B in 1962. The first FJ-4B flew 3 Dec. 1956; 222 were built, and were later designated AF-1E's.
The most noticeable difference between the Fury and the Sabre, is the lack of dihedral on the horizontal stabilizer and elevators on the Fury. The Fury also had more "bumps and blisters" here and there, as well as the tailhook and folding wings. The wing was slightly larger, the undercarriage had a longer stroke, the fuselage was slightly redesigned, and it had a taller vertical fin than the Sabre.
If memory serves me correctly, there were about 12-15 variations of the FJ Fury.

The Fury was a very rare case, because it was an existing land based fighter that was successfully adapted for carrier-borne operations.
The color scheme that has your interest is on a FJ Fury--not an F-86.
BVM offers the Fury modification kit for the 60" F-86/FJ Fury kit.

See some color schemes for the Fury on the BVM website: www.bvmjets.com

Harley Condra
BVM REP

F900 08-29-2002 11:30 PM

F-86 Color Scheme

Harley

I've been asked this question many times and can't find the answer to it, why was the horizontal stabilizer on the Fury made flat ?, and what aerodynamic difference did it make flying the Navy version Vs the Airforce version if any.

Also did BV finish his Ducted fan FJ Fury yet ?

Thanks

Robert

JohnVH 08-29-2002 11:59 PM

F-86 Color Scheme

Thats a great looking F86!!

Ive been looking at schemes also for mine, where is the best site to find different schemes to finish a model F86?

Thanks

F900 08-30-2002 12:41 AM

Fury FJ-2

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a Scale plan of how the FJ-Fury looks. Such a big difference between the FJ-2 and FJ-4

F900 08-30-2002 12:44 AM

FJ4

1 Attachment(s)
FJ-4

Harley Condra 08-30-2002 12:52 AM

Dihedral vs. none

From a stability/control perspective, the airplane has a high static margin, and I don't think that it could be improved upon (or helped) by adding dihedral to the stab. The designers may have removed the dihedral when they found that it was unneccessary. From a manufacturing standpoint, it is much less expensive and simpler to make it flat anyway. Someone probably suggested that as a "Cost Savings Proposal" and won 10% of the savings.

By the way, the FJ-1 Fury had a fatter fuselage and a straight wing. No sweepback. It had tip tanks, and had very little in common with the F-86 and later model Furys. It looks like a "Brewster Buffalo" on steroids with a hole all the way through it.
It also had a little dihedral in the tail.

None of the FJ-2 Fury's children had dihedral in the horizontal......look at the F-100 Super Sabre, the one anbd only F-107 (a prototype-----located at the Pima County Air Museum, Tucson, Az.) and the RA-5C Vigilante. They all had flat stabs.

Concerning the fan powered Fury---I'll have to ask BV hisself about that one. I don't have the answer. Tonight I'm doing history.

Harley Condra
BVM REP

F900 08-30-2002 01:05 AM

Fj-1

1 Attachment(s)
FJ-1 drawings.

Thanks Harley

Robert

Charlie H. 08-30-2002 02:34 AM

F-86

Thanks for the great feedback!I love this fourm and the smell of Jet A.

Turn & Burn
Charlie H.

fred cesquim 08-30-2002 11:38 AM

F-86 Color Scheme

i had finished the fiberclassics F 86 with this painting scheme from JASDAF (Japan):
http://rcuniverse.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=206925
hope you like it!

JohnVH 08-30-2002 12:06 PM

F-86 Color Scheme

That looks great!

flailing 08-30-2002 12:14 PM

F-86 Color Scheme

F900 I like the drawings any chance you have one for the F86D Saber Dog?