RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   JetJoe OWNERS thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/2944063-jetjoe-owners-thread.html)

Mike06659 02-23-2011 06:55 PM

RE: JetJoe OWNERS thread

I've thought about that in the past but it would cost more to do that now compared to other turbines on the market RTF. Hopefully JJ can help solve this problem.

Mike06659 02-23-2011 07:03 PM

No prob taken BJ64 I understand. I was talking to a US Rep here in the states a while back about the JJ3000 and he said it looked promising but the excel problems seemed to give him trouble. He is no longer a JJ rep here in the states. I think he was the last one standing. It's a shame he offered great help. If JJ just would have paid attention to a couple simple details they could possibly be a success. I'm not promoting Kingtech "I don't own one" but when you look at their quality and success for a great price ($1555 at one time) it shows it can be done.

BJ64 02-24-2011 03:24 AM

Erm... "excel" problems, Mike?

Not really sure what you mean by that...

BJ:)

Mike06659 02-24-2011 06:08 AM

He was telling me the spool-up time was very slow. This was when they first came out so mabe it was corrected?

BJ64 02-24-2011 06:56 AM

Oh... the 'excel'... = acceleration... yah?

juanjulian 02-25-2011 05:20 AM

Still saving for my first turbine, got in contact with Gaspar in his contact address of his web page and reponded very fast and polite getting, clear that he wants no electronics of him having to dog with JJ motors.Think that Gaspar products were a plus to this brand and now with a clone it takes credibility to this brand.CheersJuan

juanjulian 02-25-2011 05:22 AM

Still saving for my first turbine, got in contact with Gaspar in his contact address of his web page and reponded very fast and polite getting, clear that he wants no electronics of him having to dog with JJ motors.Think that Gaspar products were a plus to this brand and now with a clone it takes credibility to this brand.CheersJuan

BJ64 02-25-2011 06:17 AM

Gaspar and JJ don't really get along all that well.

Probably best not to mention Joe if you're talking to G...

CRX Turbines 02-26-2011 09:35 AM

Ilike Xicoy's (Gaspar) current ECUgobs more than the JJ unit that came with my 1400. I was really surpised with how much more expensive the JJECUunit is too!

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

I think that is one of the mistakes they made, they should have stuck with Gaspers fadec rather than doing there own, the best bet is get a turbine in bits and buy the ECU valves etc from Gasper.

CRX Turbines 02-26-2011 09:36 AM

<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 9pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">How you approach someone is often half the battle but an open forum is not the place to hash out differences. I found Gaspar to be a big help but yeah he is mad at Jet Joe. Don't bring this stuff up here though. Talk offline....

All Iam tryingto say here is that the ECU from Xicoyis a lot less expensive than the one from Jet Joe and the functionality of the new Xicoy ECU is ions ahead of the JJECU.

If you choose to buy onefor a JJturbine you might want to sayyou are shopping for a Wren.

</span>

ORIGINAL: BJ64

You won't find Gaspar wanting to have anything to do with JJ.

There's a bit of history there.

And if he knows up-front that you intend to buy one of his units and run it in a JJ, he will flatly refuse to sell you one...

BJ64 02-26-2011 02:35 PM

That's not such a bad idea - thanks or the tip.

I would like to use Gaspars genuine gear because it has a reputation of being the best.

CRX Turbines 02-26-2011 06:32 PM

I will tell you this is a nice ECU compared to the one that comes with Jet Joe motors and the thing that kills me is the cost difference (way lower) for the Xicoy deivice. It is miles ahead JJ's in terms of functionality.

ORIGINAL: croatiablu

You won't find Gaspar wanting to have anything to do with JJ.

There's a bit of history there.

And if he knows up-front that you intend to buy one of his units and run it in a JJ, he will flatly refuse to sell you one...

That's not such a bad idea - thanks or the tip.

I would like to use Gaspars genuine gear because it has a reputation of being the best.

But I don't think I'll be contacting him directly - he hates my guts.

BJ64 02-26-2011 06:57 PM

Ur kidding me - JJ's 'clone' FADEC is actually dearer than the real-deal via Xicoy?

Things get weirder every day... LoL

Donald Trump 03-21-2011 09:11 AM

Hi everyone,

Long story short I'm very close to going forward with purchasing a JJ1200. After research, common consensus is Jet Joe's are hit and miss. With the low price, along with paying via PayPal (i.e. file a graceful PayPal claim), I'm comfortable with buying from the JetJoe guy.

Should I purchase the turbine assembeled? I'm assuming that the builder is using electronc balancers, etc. so the turbine should be working fine until the first matenince interval.

Is the full auto FACED (sp?) nessessary? Can I judge propane input on the first run?

What is the matenince interval on these JetJoes, and what do you do for matenince? Run it on oil-heavy propane for a few mins?

Any comments/suggestions? [8D]

CRX Turbines 03-21-2011 09:28 AM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt">Hi,

I have a JJ1400 and love it but that said, Ithink you need to really ask yourself who the seller is, where this motor came from and who is maintaining it. There are a lot of questions that anyone hearing this post is going to want to hear the answers to before commenting on this. I think that the 1200 has had some issues but not sure. I also seem to remember that the 1200 is a kit that you put together.I have been told that Joe does a spotty job of balancing these engines which is really important. Also the question in my mind that comes to mind is the experience the end user has with jet turbines in general as this is the person (you) who will be working on the motor.

My gut tells me to tell anyone in your boat to look for a motor that has been tested working good and go with it versus a kit unless you have done this before. Mine runs like a top but I worked out a lot of bugs with it and this was a working unit. I can't say I would want to be playing with one of these motors for the first time unless I knew it were working before hand or I had the chance to work closely with the person selling it in order to make it work and assuming the person selling it, knows what they are doing.</span></div>

ORIGINAL: Donald Trump

Hi everyone,

Long story short I'm very close to going forward with purchasing a JJ1200. After research, common consensus is Jet Joe's are hit and miss. With the low price, along with paying via PayPal (i.e. file a graceful PayPal claim), I'm comfortable with buying from the JetJoe guy.

Should I purchase the turbine assembeled? I'm assuming that the builder is using electronc balancers, etc. so the turbine should be working fine until the first matenince interval.

Is the full auto FACED (sp?) nessessary? Can I judge propane input on the first run?

What is the matenince interval on these JetJoes, and what do you do for matenince? Run it on oil-heavy propane for a few mins?

Any comments/suggestions? [8D]

Xairflyer 03-21-2011 12:52 PM

You can purchased it assembled if you want but you still need to take it apart again if you want it to run reliably.

The turbine parts themselves are ok now, but the build/assembly is the problem, they are not being assembled by turbine experienced people, the track record confirms that.
You will have to check the fuel needles, preload and the balance. I would be surprised if all 12 needles are uniform, strongly suspect that the spring is tight in the tunnel and they probably are still using a rear O ring which needs to be thrown over the hedge.
After that you can then check the balance with the methods detailed before.

Then if you use a decent Fadec you have a better bet of having success.

Donald Trump 03-21-2011 04:38 PM

Hmm... it'd be really nice to purchase a used turbine! (anyone?)

f6hlct 03-21-2011 06:02 PM

I sent you a PM

CRX Turbines 03-21-2011 07:38 PM

Mine was set up by Gabe when he was active with Jet Joe.Not sure if he is still with them.seems all the US reps have moved onto other pastures.

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

You can purchased it assembled if you want but you still need to take it apart again if you want it to run reliably.

The turbine parts themselves are ok now, but the build/assembly is the problem, they are not being assembled by turbine experienced people, the track record confirms that.
You will have to check the fuel needles, preload and the balance. I would be surprised if all 12 needles are uniform, strongly suspect that the spring is tight in the tunnel and they probably are still using a rear O ring which needs to be thrown over the hedge.
After that you can then check the balance with the methods detailed before.

Then if you use a decent Fadec you have a better bet of having success.

yuri_h 03-25-2011 05:02 AM

My little comment about quality of JJ - it does not exist in nature. Through my hands passed about 10 new turbines JJ - all has factory defects (large or small), then I gladly bought KingTech k80, then another, then friends suggested.

pulsar110 05-01-2011 03:30 PM

Are all of the USA dealers for JJ gone now? Anyone carry parts or do we need to order from JJ directly?

bzuba 05-01-2011 08:52 PM

Order directly, I just did, go through their web page, List the parts you want and they will send you an email, then pay by PayPal
I hope they stay in business, JetJoe’s are awesome!!!!!

Brian

Wap4life 05-02-2011 02:27 PM

Hey guys i'm new to turbine's as well, so the concensus is to buy 1400 engine and a fadec from some other company maybe Gasper.  what about the starter kit for $299, is it a good by.   Will i habe a good turbine for my nano or i should i purchase a use wren or p60.  I like the idea of having a new one.  I estimate about $1500 total if i go the j-1400 and gasper route and $1800 for use wren or 60.

thanks

fw190pilot 05-02-2011 09:17 PM

Brand new Kingtech K-80 new for a couple hundred more than the JJ1400. You will have a good turbine that will work and keep working. Only problem the K-80 might be just a little too big to fit the nano.

Xairflyer 05-03-2011 03:23 AM

P60 is the perfect turbine for the nano, best bet would be to tried and pick one up used.
As fw190 says the kingtech 80 would be a better buy then the JJ1400 but too big really for the nano