RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Hysol mixing tubes (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/4884475-hysol-mixing-tubes.html)

Will B 10-18-2006 02:52 PM

Hysol mixing tubes

Is there an easy way to get more "mileage" from the self mixing hysol tubes? As I understand it they are considered a disposable item, and you can only use the self mixing nozzles until the catalysed hysol starts to harden withing the mixing tube. On that basis I'll need to organise my building of the SM F16 to get as much glues up in as little time as possible. It would make the building a bit more relaxed if there was a way of prolonging the lifespan of the mixing tubes. I mean could the mixing tubes be purged of catalysed hysol someway so they can be re-used? Compressed air?

I know the tubes are cheap but its more the hassle of having to re-order more and I'm not keen on composing the build of the jet so I can get as much gluing done in as little time as possible before the sodding stuff starts to harden in the mixing tube.

Whats the curing time of Hysol anyway? And whats the best way of application of the glue....are fillets on either edge of the bonding surfaces best or is it better to make a completely wet joint?

Also what is best used to wipe away or clean up Hysol spills? As I understand it this stuff is seriously sticky and I'm sure that I'll manage to make a mess off something else while using it and it would be good to know a good way of removing it from places it shouldnt have got into or off the jeans for that matter!

Cheers!!

Gordon Mc 10-18-2006 02:58 PM

RE: Hysol mixing tubes

Pull the inner tube out with some haemostats, then clean it and the tube with Acetone. A pipe cleaner for the tube and an old toothbrush for the inner part works perfectly

Harley Condra 10-18-2006 03:12 PM

Using a pair of small needle nose pliers, gently pull the "mixing thingie" out of the nozzle barrel. Drop the "mixing thingie" into a small jar of laquer thinner or acetone.
Clean the inside of the nozzle barrel with a Q-Tip and laquer thinner or acetone. When the "mixing thingie" is clean, dry the parts and re-assemble.
Pretty simple and easy.

Alternatively, put the nozzle into a plastic bag and keep it in the kitchen freezer for later re-use. Zero temperatures keep the adhesive from setting up.

I prefer cleaning it out.

It is best to have some Hysol on the faying surfaces, with a small fillet around the bonded edges of the parts to "trap them".

Clean-up is easily accomplished with laquer thinner, acetone, or rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol from your local Chemist.
I think that if you get it on your clothes, you are hosed.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP

ravill 10-18-2006 03:22 PM

Hysol will take at least 8 hours to cure. I'd wait over 24 hours to fly however.....

Raf

cactusflyer 10-18-2006 03:43 PM

Yup, I USED TO pull the innards out and clean the mess up, but seemed to be almost not worth it. I have since devised a system that cleans the nozzles well and only uses 2 oz of acetone.

Here it is:

I use a small (3 ml) syringe (I believe that Horizon sells them with a couple blunt needles in them for glue application) and attach a short piece of medium silicone glow fuel tubing to the syringe. Pour about one ounce (30 ml) of acetone in a small mixing cup. Fill the syringe with the acetone and attach it to the end of the nozzle. Point the thing into the trash can and SLOWLY push the acetone into the nozzle with one hand while hold the pieces together with the other. Now stick the end of the nozzle in the acetone and fill the syringe again through the nozzle. Squirt this into the trash can. Now put the nozzle back in cup and flush the remaining acetone in and out of the syringe a few times. Discard the acetone and refill the mixing cup. Flush it in and out again and the nozzle should now be clean and ready to use another day. Sometimes, I find that a little residual Hysol remains in the very base of the nozzle where it attaches to the cartridge. If needed, I take a toothpick and remove it and then flush it with acetone again. It is important to fill the syringe before attaching it to the nozzle for the first flush. This forces the Hysol out of the nozzle. The subsequent flushes just clean the nozzle. It literally took about ten times longer to type this description than it takes to do it! It's well worth the effort.

Tailwinds,

John

CARS II 10-18-2006 04:47 PM

I had the same dilemma, now days I keep using Hysol but not the nozzles, my fingers do a better job at mixing the hysol. ;)

Have fun.

David Gladwin 10-20-2006 04:25 AM

A couple of tips following recent use of Hysol. Some nozzles are better than others at mixing the glue and the ones from Dreamworks seem to work best as they have what looks like a metal insert with finer "pitch" than the others and are longer than the standard "short " nozzles. I have had occasions when the Hysol has not hardened and its a pain as the glue has to be totally removed from the joint, cleaned up and start again. A couple of days ago I did my usual, prior to nozzle application, I forced glue out of the tubes and quite a lot of hardener, the brown stuff, came out before the white. When both were egressing equally I put on the nozzle squeezed out a couple of inches and started glueing, some of it STILL did not cure. Early this morning I repeated this and squeezed out six three inch long beads of glue, only the third and subsequent beads have really hardened, the first two have stayed soft and gummy. So if you are using Hysol don't be afraid to squeeze out at least eight inches of glue before tackling the joint, wasteful yes but it seems the only way to guarantee a good joint. Of course for small jobs hand mixing of equal amounts of brown and white works, but MUST be mixed very thoroughly.

Regards, David Gladwin.

The Bush 10-20-2006 08:07 AM

I use Araldite 2015 same spec as Hysol , seems to mix better , and more tolerant of poor mixing.
regards
The Bush

Ad Clark 10-20-2006 09:11 AM

These are all very helpful suggestions. Lets face it, Hysol/Aero-poxy is the "motar" that holds our planes together and as David mentioned there is nothing worse than trying to remove glue that did not properly cure. After having suffered similiar problems in the past I added one procedure to the "mix" that has fixed that problem. After removing the cap from the Hysol cartridge I insert an exacto blade,#11, into the exposed glue and remove the brown glue . Wipe the blade off with a paper napkin and repeat the clean-out on the white glue. Some times one or the other or both sides of the cartridge will leak around the cartridge divider or septum and plug or thicken the glue enough to cause the uneven flow that David was refering to. This cleaning prep onlly takes about 15 seconds or so and my experience has been that when done I always get a good result. I now perform the clean-out every time I use it. Less waste and really strong joints.

Ad Clark
BVM-rep

David Gladwin 10-21-2006 07:06 PM

Parhaps I might add that BVM is also supplying these new nozzles. I have also noticed that the old trick of storing the nozzles overnight in the freezer so that they can be warmed and reused the following day does not seem to work with the new nozzles. The glue hardens even in the freezer sugesting that mixing is very thorough indeed.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

dbarrym 10-22-2006 02:34 AM

I've been using the same set of Hysol nozzles for well over three years now...one short and one long. Works if you have a couple simple things available...compressed air, a sealable cigar tube, and acetone. ;)

After I'm done with the Hysol, I remove the tip from the gun (being careful to wipe down the tip of the glue cartridge with an acetone soaked cloth, and then replace the tip seal cap on the cartridge). I grab a handful of paper towels or an old rag with the end of the nozzle pointed towards the center of the bunched up rag(s). Using an air nozzle, I carefully blow out the mixed glue from the tip until it runs clear. Make sure the air nozzle seals tightly against the base end of the tip, or you'll get a serious back blast of epoxy!

After that I insert the tip into a large ring gauge cigar tube - the 50+ Churchill size gauge metal tubes work best - that is 3/4 full of acetone. Screw the cap on, shake vigorously, and remove the tip with some needle nose pliers. Wipe the outside down with a rag and store until needed again.

I've been able to reuse the acetone for 3-4 cleanings before I need to replace it. One note - don't store the nozzle in the sealed tube for too long, or it might dissolve - I've had it happen a couple times. :eek:

Works great for me.

heraldoboldrin 10-17-2007 09:59 PM

Putting the nozzles in the freezer won´t damage the glue...??
After using the nozzles with old glue again..it will hardens with no problem??

Thanks

Heraldo

jroth 10-18-2007 03:17 AM

I store my Hysol in my work shop freezer, it seems to last from season to season without any noticable changes.

marc s 10-18-2007 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You can always discard the nozzles (when used!), squeeze direct from the dispenser into a mixing cup (McDonalds sauce cups or Ikea sauce cups which are plastic and free) and mix it up with a wooden coffee stirer - free from all those coffee shops!

Order some bulk 2.5ml or 5ml syringes (cheap as chips) and transfere your mixed Aeropxy to syringe. Then the only cost item is the syringe which is easier to get into tight spaces and far cheaper than nozzles and acetone - a lot less fuss and a lot less wasteful on the Aeropoxy left in the nozzle.

To get a really thin applicator try adding some cheap silicone tubing to the syringe, heat up a cotton bud (ear cleaning thing) in the middle of the plastic and pull appart with light pressure. The end result is a thinned plastic tube which if cut in the middle and at both ends gives two very fine dispensers when pushed into the oter end of the silicon tube - great for cyan applicators too:)

Synthetic 10-18-2007 01:58 PM

Is Hysol a 50/50 mix between the two ingredients?

If so using no nozzle and a some good mixing while applying with pop cycle stick should work just fine....

marc s 10-18-2007 02:16 PM

yep.

Synthetic 10-18-2007 02:41 PM

Thank you Marc...

flyexperimental 10-18-2007 06:08 PM

I only use mixing tips when I need the nozzle to put glue in a specific area I can not reach.I squirt it onto cardboard and mix it like bondo with a spreader or small brush.The nozzles are a waste of money and material left in the nozzle.Most of my batches mixed probally would not even fill a mixing tip.Just make sure you mix well.Never had a problem this way.

trioval00 10-18-2007 06:44 PM

as for me? I try to plan all of the hysol work to be done as close as I can. and inbetween glueing, i keep the glue in the freezer when i am not glueing.

I then take it out of the freezer about 45 miunutes before i need it and as soon as it is warm to the touch i use the glue.

the nozzle in time will harden, but with this method i get a few days out of that one nozzle

Mark

Kevin Greene 10-19-2007 07:57 AM

A word of caution about incomplete mixing...Although the short nozzles are great for getting into tight places and waste less of the adhesive---I have had conversations with the folks at Loctite about the short nozzles and they recommended that under no circumstances we should use the short nozzles due to incomplete mixing and incomplete curing of the adhesive with Hysol 9462...At the time of my conversation the 9462 was the only adhesive that I inquired about. Although the adhesive may appear to have set up the strength of the adhesive is severely compromised. Using the short nozzles I have had he adhesive cure to a state ranging from rubbery to what appeared to be hard but at times I could dent it with a finger nail after a few days....Just an FYI...

Kevin