RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   MB-339 BUILT TREADS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5162383-mb-339-built-treads.html)

J-PORTUGAL 12-26-2006 08:12 AM

MB-339 BUILT TREADS

Hello friends....

Who can send to me one pdf or scan of MB-339 built tread that appear in this month and last month JET Internacional!!

Thanks

JM

wojtek 12-26-2006 09:53 AM

RE: MB-339 BUILT TREADS

I believe you can still buy backissues from Traplet. Check out http://www.rcjetinternational.com/

brg,

Voy

J-PORTUGAL 12-26-2006 12:55 PM

Yes... but i need the first part too!

Thanks
JM

J-PORTUGAL 12-26-2006 12:57 PM

Where i can get under wing tanks!

Thanks

JM

wojtek 12-26-2006 01:50 PM

let me make a suggestion on this plane to you ... the leading edge seams are VERY poorly bonded. Get some kind of epoxy in there ( or i would recommend a poly glue such as Gorilla Glue) ... The ribs inside are also poorly glued, and are mostly cheap balsa. I used some NHP expansion foam trough the tips, and servo bays to strengthen up the wing. I could see it easily failing if not reinforced. I originally hd the SM version, however had to return it as the quality was so poor, and i had not received adequate support from AirPack. I now have the FaeBao version I’m working on now ( people who used to make the exact plane for SM ) and the quality is better, however still leaving a lot to be desired in terms of structural integrity … the RCJI reviews were ok on this plane, but none addressed the actual and serious structural issues ..

all the best on yours , it is an impresive plane with a lot of presence ! [8D]

by the way, FaeBao has the wing tip tanks for this plane ... i don't think the underwing tanks were ever released, however there are other tanks out there that could be used ( like the SM f-15 underwing tanks ..

Voy

ColinSt 12-26-2006 03:29 PM

Hi,

I am the builder of the MB339 that is currently being reviewed in RCJI, and I am surprised to read the comments about the wing structure, as the model I built does not seem to suffer from any of these issues. The ribs that can be seen through the servo bays and the undercarriage openings are extremely well bonded into place, with a solid glue fillet, and the leading edge of the wing seems equally solid.

Going by the weight of the wings, PLENTY of glue has been used in the structure, and they seem extremely stiff and strong. Rest assured, if I felt there were any weaknesses in the model I would have mentioned them in the review, but I have not come across even one poor joint in this model. As an aside, this model was bought from the stock of the UK distributor for Skymaster at the time, Als Hobbies, and had not been selected by the factory.

Now this does not mean that all the MB339 kits produced are of the same quality, I can only go on my experience with the review model, but I was very impressed by the quality of this model.

As an aside, I have built my own tip tanks for the model, as the tanks used by the New Zealand Air Force are different to the tanks currently available for the model MB339. These tanks were built up from balsa and ply, and details will be in the next and final article on the model, due to be in the next RCJI issue, which should be available at the end of January.

Colin

wojtek 12-26-2006 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: ColinSt

Hi,

I am the builder of the MB339 that is currently being reviewed in RCJI, and I am surprised to read the comments about the wing structure, as the model I built does not seem to suffer from any of these issues. The ribs that can be seen through the servo bays and the undercarriage openings are extremely well bonded into place, with a solid glue fillet, and the leading edge of the wing seems equally solid.

Going by the weight of the wings, PLENTY of glue has been used in the structure, and they seem extremely stiff and strong. Rest assured, if I felt there were any weaknesses in the model I would have mentioned them in the review, but I have not come across even one poor joint in this model. As an aside, this model was bought from the stock of the UK distributor for Skymaster at the time, Als Hobbies, and had not been selected by the factory.

Now this does not mean that all the MB339 kits produced are of the same quality, I can only go on my experience with the review model, but I was very impressed by the quality of this model.

As an aside, I have built my own tip tanks for the model, as the tanks used by the New Zealand Air Force are different to the tanks currently available for the model MB339. These tanks were built up from balsa and ply, and details will be in the next and final article on the model, due to be in the next RCJI issue, which should be available at the end of January.

Colin

on both the SM and FB versions of the plane the leading edges were coming open. The ribs in both had already been cracked. The SM version ribs were VERY weak. Even lightly squeezing the wing cracks these ( which were not already cracked) .. the balsa is of the worse quality i have ever seen on a jet arf or kit... i don't understand why these cold just not have been made of liteply .. the wing is already heavy as it is anyway .... On both airplanes, there was also not enough glue around where the wing tubes attach to the wing structure. The SM version of the main gear doors did not shut all the way either, and woud need to have been cut up to close over the gear. The FB one came with all the gear doors affixed, and made to match up to the fuse properly, and close over the landing gear ... lastly, on the fuselage of the SM version, each bulkhead former ws prominently visible through the skin. The FB one is 100% smooth ... both versions have imperfections out of the mold, which requires redoing a lot of the intricate detail, such as rivets and panel lines. Skymaster informed me that their version I had never passed QC and AirPack should not have sold it to me, so maybe other production models were better ..

After some modifications and A LOT of reinforcing, i think all in all this is a very impressive airplane. I am putting a at450 in mine ( yea, i don't need that much power, but its what i have around ) ..... the plane is HUGE !! and even with the problems, its worth the $ .. ( just don't buy one from AirPack ... [:o], as i think they might be looking for someone to stuff with the one i had returned :eek: )

Voy

Boomerang1 12-26-2006 04:11 PM

Really, has anyone ever read a BAD review in a magazine? That's why forums provide such a good guide to what works & what doesn't.

Once you work your way past the losers who would have trouble with any product regardless of who made it and the distributors slinging BS at each other and anyone else who questions their products.

Until forums put advertising dollars before 'fredom of speech' this is the best chance you get for unbiased product reviews. - John.

ColinSt 12-26-2006 04:43 PM

Interesting comments these.

Regarding the MB339, the main doors on my Skymaster model fitted perfectly, and close completely flush with the underside of the wing, however the large front door did not match the fuselage underside at all well, and I had to use heat to modify the shape, as well as filler, all this being mentioned in the review.

After much handling I have not had one wing rib crack, both panels are as solid now as when I collected the kit. The only problem I have since come across with the wing is with the small wing fences which are made from thin perspex or something similar, and which can be broken off very easily unless very carefully handled.

I would agree that some of the fuselage formers do cause slight ripples in the skin, but on the model I have these are so minor I was not concerned, as they cannot be spotted unless a very close view is made along the fuselage with a strong light behind. Once the model was painted they almost vanished.

Regarding reviews in general, and speaking only for myself, I have bought and paid for every model I have ever reviewed, and if I was really unhappy about the model I would not carry out the review, and would return the model for a refund, as any paying customer is likely to do. I have never been approached by a manufacturer complaining about a review, and have never been influenced by anyone. Beyond this, no review I have written has been changed by an editor after submission.

The vast majority of modern models are reasonably well designed and built, and any model that has been reviewed with a positive conclusion should be safe to buy, although useful further opinions can be gathered from forum sites such as this. I would be more wary of mainstream models that have been available for some time, that have never been reviewed, as this may indicate that potential reviewers have been deterred by comments from other builders.

I accept that every reviewer is an individual, so reviews will vary, and that different types of model will have varying appeal. I have reviewed a number of Mick Reeves jets, and of course these are very different to a model such as the MB339, but the basics of a review are the same. Is the kit/ARF well designed, are the components of good quality and fit for purpose, are the instructions good/adequate/poor, is support and back-up available, etc, culminating in the flying abilities of the model.

It is incumbent on the reviewer to take an objective view, and to report this to the best of his ability, based on the model he has built. Potential buyers of one of these models can then used this information as part of their decision of whether to buy this particular model or not.

Colin

J-PORTUGAL 12-26-2006 04:53 PM

Hello...

Thanks for your help!

About this plane i agree with some reenforces in the balsa where we fixed the servos.

My gear doors fixed without problems... in the same model sometimes some are little diferents!!

I will change my hinges.... i would like more strong hinges!

Thanks
JM

Boomerang1 12-26-2006 05:12 PM

Sending you a PM, Colin. - John. [sm=wink_smile.gif]

u2fast 12-26-2006 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
i am currently completing a fei beo mb 339. for the price, it has to be the best deal out there. this jet is 100% finished. just screw in retracts, servos, radio, turbine and go. i did look it over a bit. i added aeropoxy to the gear door hinges, a few other minor mounting details. but the seams are as good as it gets, carbon seems to be were needed, and aeropoxy is perfectly placed. the main gear took a small shim to keep the tire from being pressed to tight into the upper skin, resulting in a bind and maybe preventing a proper cycling of the retracts. i like to be able to turn a tire with ease when in the up position, a shim was needed and then the large outer gear door took a little heating and bending to clear the strut and still fit down into its seat well. a very easy task. i watched one of these fly at superman and ordered one before i left. here are a few pics of the inside, wheel well, gear doors, and leading edge seams. i will be putting a titan in mine. just ordered one from ray blair tonight. barry

wojtek 12-27-2006 12:55 AM

http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/up...51/Ig12915.jpg

mine did not have the carbon lay-up in the fuse .... i guess some more inconsistency with FB ... I might reinforce this area up in mine also as well ..

besides the needed fixes, it rerally is a bolt together and go plane ....

Voy

J-PORTUGAL 12-27-2006 06:03 AM

Hello U2FAST...

Did you have any problem with yours?

JM

u2fast 12-27-2006 08:08 AM

i am just now starting mine. all servos and retracts are mounted. no problems so far. voy, sorry to hear yours did not have carbon. must have been layed up on a monday:D, barry

u2fast 12-27-2006 08:17 AM

i should have her in the air in a month or so. barry

J-PORTUGAL 12-27-2006 09:19 AM

I think that this plane is great!

The landing gear is fantastic!

Everything fix perfectly and this plane is made his good quality!

João

J-PORTUGAL 12-28-2006 05:43 PM

Nice video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT2K0jzGMvU

João Matos

www.aerocarcontrol.com
www.jets-munt.com
www.rt-hammer.de

"Why be ordinary when we can be extraordinary"

wojtek 12-28-2006 08:03 PM

i lso have a video of a MB339 posted on Youtube ( just looks up my user name : xiwanczyk )

its of the one that was flown at FLJ06 .... My friend Mark Mallory shot the video ... I believe it is Ali from the UK flying this one ..

Voy

J-PORTUGAL 12-28-2006 11:50 PM

Hello.
If you are talking about this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOieszqb9Ig

I believe that is Mr. David Murray model!
I think that Alli have the Frecce Tricolori squeme!

JM

www.aerocarcontrol.com
www.jets-munt.com
www.rt-hammer.de

"Why be ordinary when you can be extraordinary?"

wojtek 12-29-2006 12:02 AM

Thats right, it is David's, however in this video it is being flown by Alli .... ( at leat im 99% that it was him piloting it here ... )

Voy

deweyd 12-29-2006 12:37 AM

Hey Voy , How is it going?

I have servo's mounted, control horns, and push rods installed. Some of the airlines are now hooked up. and I'll be trying to finnish the plane in the next few weeks. This is a Large plane approx 100" wing with the tip tanks. if anyone has any advise on the install please feel free to share some ideals. I personally couldn't be happier with the plane I got. I will share some pictures as progress continues.

Dewey

mick15 12-29-2006 04:32 AM

That video from post#18 is mine its a Skymaster 339 I purchased from Ali

m

J-PORTUGAL 12-29-2006 01:58 PM

How knows one shop with MB-339 Cockpit 1: 5 in stock?

Thanks

JM