RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   DH Vampire Build Thread Anywhere??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5650345-dh-vampire-build-thread-anywhere.html)

Brian Borland 04-11-2007 06:15 PM

RE: DH Vampire Build Thread Anywhere???

Ok ...if you go to the Airsail site ..click on "About Us" ...scroll down and click "page 2" ...scroll down and you'll see your's truely at work on the plug. I could post more pics if people are interested. I just wish there were a lot more to post!

Cheers .. BB

Glen Roberts 04-11-2007 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike.

This is the start of my 1/4 scale T11. Hope to produce some kits.

Glen

Brian Borland 04-11-2007 10:37 PM

Ah Ha ...I wondered if you'd surface on here Glen. Making good progress I see ....but it's never enough done in the time available is it?

Cheers .. Brian B

Mike Emilio 04-12-2007 03:42 PM

David (Skywarrior)

The mail came in. 2 CD's.

- Construction manual - Cannot access the file.
Appears to be a Powerpoint presentation, not a slide show. I do not have Powerpoint. It's about a $375.00 program that I'm not too keen on buying.

- CD with the color picture on it.
I use Windows XP Professional SP2. Windows cannot identify what appears to be some kind of movie.

So basically, both CD's are not readily accessable without having to obtain the software that was used to create them.

skywarrior 04-12-2007 05:38 PM

Mike,

You are right in that the manual is at present in Power point. This I could print for you if required later . Since it is 100 pages long it seemed better to send it in disc form , perhaps I should have enquired if you had access to Power Point and for that I aplogise.
The DVD is prepared in universal format and should ( and has ) run succesfully on most DVD player/recorders as opposed to a computer set up.

I hope this helps for the present.

Regards

David

Gordon Mc 04-12-2007 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike Emilio

David (Skywarrior)

The mail came in. 2 CD's.

- Construction manual - Cannot access the file.
Appears to be a Powerpoint presentation, not a slide show. I do not have Powerpoint. It's about a $375.00 program that I'm not too keen on buying.

- CD with the color picture on it.
I use Windows XP Professional SP2. Windows cannot identify what appears to be some kind of movie.

So basically, both CD's are not readily accessable without having to obtain the software that was used to create them.

To access powerpoint slides without paying for MS Office, I believe you should be able to use http://www.openoffice.org/ or similar freeware.

Gordon

Gordon Mc 04-12-2007 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc
To access powerpoint slides without paying for MS Office, I believe you should be able to use http://www.openoffice.org/ or similar freeware.

Gordon

Just confirmed that this works - the "impress" tool within the openoffice suite will open powerpoint slides for ya.

Gordon

Mike Emilio 04-13-2007 09:42 AM

David , , ,

I didn't try my DVD machine, just the computer. I'll try tonight when I get home.

I found a friend that has Powerpoint on his machine. He'll try and print me out a set, or else convert the whole thing to a slide show.

Thank's

------------------------------

I tried it in my DVD machine. No luck. Took it to the local video movie rental store. They also tried it with no luck.
I'm told that the British format will not work in any North American DVD machine and requires some sort of conversion. Lots of Bucks!$$$

skywarrior 04-13-2007 05:15 PM

Mike,
sorry about that.
I will investigate and find a solution if possible. I work on a Mac ( thats not the reason this problem has occured though). If you have a friend with a Macintosh it will work on that as it works on mine.

Regards

David

skywarrior 04-13-2007 05:21 PM

Re: DVD universal format on Windows
Posted: Apr 13, 2007 10:14 AM in response to: DAVID BUTT1
Reply Email

The problem could be two main things: the format in which it is saved in or the encoding. Windows will hardly ever decode Mac products, especially if they are in a Mac format. There are some solutions to some of the compatability issues between the two OS but not many.

The encoding is another issue. Guys in the US and Canada use NTSC encoding. The UK and most other European places use PAL encoding. Because your friend cannot play the DVD on his XP it is possible that his DVD player on his computer is a European one or even worse... (I can't really say this cause I am British) ...one from the UK. The European DVD players will play PAL B/G these are the usual PAL formats. The UK has to be difficult and it came up with it's own PAL format, PAL I. NTSC DVDs will NOT play on PAL DVD players. PAL DVDs will NOT play on NTSC DVD players. I have come across issues where PAL I DVDs will not play on PAL B/G DVD players.

Now your DVD should play (as you said) on all DVD players - however they are external DVD players, not on a PC or Mac. So basically, if it is an encoding issue (PAL or NTSC) then your friend will not be able to play the DVD on his computer. If it is a format issue, then there may be some possible way around it, but my advise is to just play the DVD on a DVD player through his TV.

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike I posted on a Mac forum and got the above. However if it does not play on your home DVD player then it does not play. I will ask further.

David

Mike Emilio 04-15-2007 01:06 PM

At a marketing perspective, It sounds like you might want to consider two different formats, PAL for the UK, and NTSC for the rest of North America.

skywarrior 04-15-2007 03:45 PM

Mike,

Its going to be top of the list

Regards

David

skywarrior 04-19-2007 03:07 PM

Mike
have sent you a copy NTSC format.
Hope this helps.

David

Brian Borland 05-18-2007 08:32 PM

Let's see if I can post a couple of pics of the "development model" here.

Progress is slow but it's getting there. The problem is is being designed backwards and what you see is patterns for laser cut woodwork. The short nose of the single seater poses more problems than just the nose leg assembly. Every effort is being made to get all the heavy stuff up the front, hence the tray between the inst panel former and the front former. This will carry two 5 cell packs plus the dual switch.

Custom retracts will be part of the deal ...but the clock's ticking!

Cheers ..BB[img][/img]

Brian Borland 05-18-2007 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK Try this

Mike Emilio 05-23-2007 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: paul Lewis

Hi Mike

I'm building a 1/5 scale Kerry Sterner Vamp but stupidly haven't taken any photos of the build and what a build it is, a bit like Kiel Kraft if you're old enough to remember them, lots of bits of stick and lumber! The instructions supplied are fine if you've built from a plan before and the lazer cut bits are perfect. I've modified it quite a bit though with removable booms and less of a hatch on the top. As soon as I can get my hands on my camera I'll take some piccies.

Cheers

Paul
Hi Paul , , ,

I'm not so sure about the laser parts being perfect. But as far as working from the plans go, I have found parts that when assembled, are out as much as almost 5/8"!
And today, I made a note of issue number lucky 13!
It's been a while now, surley Mr. Sterner's builder must have found some issues.
Has anyone got any leads yet for any posts by Mr. Sterner's builder.

F106A 05-23-2007 10:43 PM

I'm curious, what part(s) are out 5/8"?
When I built mine, I didn't notice any parts being off that much.
If you have found some errors, please post them in order to help future builders.
BRG,
Jon

Mike Emilio 05-24-2007 03:07 PM

F106, ,

I'd like to, and I did take a picture, but on the Mr. Kerry Sterner thread, I perceive that Mr. Sterner would take such info defensively, as opposed to politely commenting what I did wrong.

I'll consider posting it depending on wheather or not Mr. Sterner makes a reply on that thread.

Are you using the laser kit?
Perhaps the laser cutting file is more accurate than the plans.

Overall, they're pretty good though. Nothing serious that would stop me from continuing.

My exhaust pipe issue might have been the only show stopper, but I think it's solved from a real great guy that took the challenge.

And for that kind of support alone I'm going to buy a 19 pounder from him!

I have somewhat of an issue with the tail, so I'm changing that slightly as well.

Mike Emilio 05-26-2007 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: F106A
I'm curious, what part(s) are out 5/8"?
If you have found some errors, please post them in order to help future builders.
BRG,
Jon
I got a few more emails about run-ins with Mr. Sterner. Please guys, lets just let it go. Receiving customer feedback much beyond a circle of friends would not be taken well.
A wise man told me "nobody wins in this kind of situation".

By numerous request, I'll post a few pictures.

- It first looked like about 5/8", but now looks closer to 7/16" - 1/2".
One might say that it helps in aligning the dihedral, but to me it's a rather moot point and doesn't matter.
Just pack it up with ply.
Note: Plans were glued to the wood and belt sanded to the line.

- The text is from an instruction sheet. Followed by a table saw picture. I wouldn't go out and buy a table saw for this, kind of obvious why.

As simple as these issues may be, history has now shown that sending even private comment emails will be ignored, and you will in fact be declared "condeming". I can only add my appologies for being foolish in thinking he would have been genuinly interested in customer feedback.

Sorry, , , I had to edit this a few times to get the pics to upload.
Also, please don't interpret my comment(s) wrong, , , not meant to "target" Mr Sterner, but some amount of description is required.

The fiberglass cloth and 5 gallons of resin is in.
I hope it's enough and I don't run out.
It's a right chore to get another 250 pound roll in!!

Props4ever 05-27-2007 08:27 AM

Yikes Mike thats not good, somebody building this jet without scratch building experience will defiantly have serious issues with it, one would wonder if fixing rib is the way to go around this or fixing angles of former will be way to go. In both cases customer service would be more important from designer and from what we have been reading it's not worth taking on this particular project as there are so many gaps left by designer.[:o]

I was thinking to take on this project myself too as Saudi AF had Vampires and i really wanted a RC model of this jet since i was 8-10 years old, i think my personal opinion is to contact you Mike instead of original designer of the plans as you are the only one bringing out errors as you are working on the project and have knowledge to over come them also. Let us know if you don't mind PMs regarding fixing these errors for future builders from these Strener plans....

Mike Emilio 05-27-2007 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Props4ever

Yikes Mike thats not good, somebody building this jet without scratch building experience will defiantly have serious issues with it, one would wonder if fixing rib is the way to go around this or fixing angles of former will be way to go. In both cases customer service would be more important from designer and from what we have been reading it's not worth taking on this particular project as there are so many gaps left by designer.[:o]

I was thinking to take on this project myself too as Saudi AF had Vampires and i really wanted a RC model of this jet since i was 8-10 years old, i think my personal opinion is to contact you Mike instead of original designer of the plans as you are the only one bringing out errors as you are working on the project and have knowledge to over come them also. Let us know if you don't mind PMs regarding fixing these errors for future builders from these Strener plans....

ORIGINAL: Vampire

Mike,

I have no knowledge of any other forums in which the entire assy. of my Vampire kit has been showcased.

I do have a customer in New York currently building a 1/6th scale version and he has been comissioned to take photos of the entire assy but this is not yet available as it has just gotten under way.

Regards
Props, , ,
The plans overall work for me, but might be a bit challenging for a first time scratchbuilder. Contrary to the designers approach, I wouldn't recommend cutting any wood right away, just take your time and study them for a few days with a pencil and paper handy. Mr Sterner confirmed that there is no build that he is aware of. I only see just the odd sporatic photo, or possibly shots of a finished model, so there's not much other reference around.
I might suspect that the comissioned builder is for some other sales purpose, as nothing as yet has come to light.

All indications show that the designer seems to prefer long distance verbal phone calls as his primary method of business. I would suggest first trying to contact Mr Sterner. Note however, that there is very high confidence that your questioning might hit a perverbial nerve ending. If you feel that you are being ignored, then yes, I might be able to clarify some drawing areas for you.

Should you decide to try it, call me for sure when you get to the wings.

Mike Emilio 06-01-2007 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Props, , ,
You asked to see the turbine.
Since Mr. Sterner doesn't want to sell me a turbine, silly man, I bought something else.

There's never a shortage of dealers when it comes to spending big money.

Brian Borland 06-01-2007 07:08 PM

Hi Mike

Great choice of engine. I run Behotecs in New Zealand and they are a very good product. My own J-66 has had almost 50 hours running and is a real honey. All the Behotecs I've sold have been exceptional. The only thing they suffer from is under-marketing. It's a small company producing a superior product without the fan fare of other brands.

I particularly like the ProJet electronics. I have my J-66 in a demo model (250 flights now) and have never run a whip antenna ...and don't intend to either. The antenna has been located in a number of places from the along the wing leading edge to down the fuselage to inside the fuselage ...not a problem.

A customer of mine has a model ..based on a Facet but better looking ...... and he too has a J-66 with an internal antenna which operates without any hiccups.

Good work ...Brian Borland

Mike Emilio 06-04-2007 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent the weekend working on the intakes, and plug for the ducts.
(Stumbled on issue #14, not related to the intakes)

Mike Emilio 06-21-2007 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
F106A, , ,

I didn't buy the nose wheel just yet, but I'll keep your observations in mind when I get that far, thanks.

(Issue #18)
I'm looking at that gear door issue.

I have emails from 2 others that are at a dead end with this, so I'll post my findings.

Quite simply, the plans do not supply sufficient detail for the nose gear doors. Thus leaving the modeller totally in the dark.

The plans only provide a side view of the nose gear door. As there is no top view plan to clarify, the side view only would suggest that the nose gear door is fixed to the top of the landing gear trunnion block. There is no other clarification.
I can see why most might give up, and just fly the plane without the nose door, or put something in place for a static display or photo shoot.

To get the gear door to properly push outward, the top of the gear door should be fixed to the inside of the nose bowl. There would be a hinging yoke/trapeze required to make the nose door work, but this part, as well as the correct geometry and placement is not shown on the plans. Also, there is no provision inside the purchased nose bowl part itself.
Visually, it looks like the hinging points would actually be much high up than shown on the plans, but it might take scraping a bit of material before the right location and geometry is worked out.

When the door closes, there would be excerted an amount of tensile pull on the top hinging. I already had to repair holes in the perimiter of the fiberglass nose bowl and know that it's quite thin. A constant pull, coupled with vibration might damage the nose of the fiberglass part. I'm thinking that a beam can be glued across the end face of the gear rails to act as a mounting base for the hinging.
Second might be to lay-up more cloth on the inside of the nose bowl, or third, might be to just remolding the nose bowl, but using a heavier cloth.

Without this information on the plans, it would be trial and error with the top hinging/door system because you are working blindly inside the nose bowl. I'm going to have to take some time and think about this one a bit more.

I would venture to say that this is a most significant fault in these Vampire plans, and from what I've been reading, it's the most common compaint.