RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5913492-bob-cat-copy-falcon-120-jet.html)

TURBINATOR 03-26-2009 07:58 AM

RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

ORIGINAL: new2jets

ORIGINAL: Grodus

I am starting to experience some gear retraction issues that I wonder if someone might have some ideas about. I am using the Airpower 250 retracts, Pro-lynx struts and an Airpower EV-2U eletronic valve for operation.
On the ground, all three gear operate normally up and down and even work with about 40psi. I charge to about 100 psi for flight. After takeoff, the nose and left main retract instantly when I hit the switch. The right main will stay down as along as 3-4 seconds and then it retracts. This has been occuring for sometime now but has never failed to go up. Sunday, after takeoff, the right main would not retract. I cycled the gear several times an the right main would not move even inverted and at slow airspeeds. After the flight, with only 40psi remaining after all the inflight cycles, the right main retracted normally in the pit area when tested. I charged to 120psi and flew again. The right main retracted, but again, with a delay.
Anybody have anyone ideas?

Thanks,
Cody
Hi Grodus
Iam running Airpower 250 retracts and had the same sort of problem which ended up the retract unit was getting slightly warped when the screws holding it in the wing were tightend up and making that retract stiffer to move .[8D]

Cody,

I too am running the Airpower 250 retracts and like New2jets, noticed if the retract was slightly off in the mount or the wheel well it would bind up. Also, it seems to be exaggerated with an increase in air pressure as well. I had my right main that would do exactly what u describe and ultimately had to shim it to get it to work properly. It may be that with repeated landings, things have changed slightly to the geometry of the gear in the mount or well. Hope u get her sorted out.

Jeff

Grodus 03-26-2009 08:14 AM

Interesting to know others have experience similar problems. Thanks for your ideas, I will start looking for binding and I will try to simulate an airload by using a leaf blower directed at that gear and try retraction that way.

Thanks,
Cody

Speny 03-27-2009 08:29 AM

Ive had minor problems with my AP250's. They will retract up but not down.

I eventually put it down to the fact that if the retraction of the wheel is interupted by it (the wheel) hitting the inside of the wing ie the bottom of the wheel well - this would cause it to jam because the retract hasnt been allowed to perform its full up & lock proceedure.

I shimmed the retract at the same end as the wheel when retracted and this solved it. The result of shimming allows the wheel to be lifted out of the wheel well slightly giving an uninterupted retract proceedure

I also find that a small squirt of silicone spray before hand aids in the overall functionality of the retract mechanism. Have a look on Ebay - couple of £ for a spray can

This is better than oil, grease or WD40 because it doesn't really soak into the surrounding balsa etc and will evaporate preventing the buildup of dust & debris.

Mart

BaldEagel 03-27-2009 09:27 AM

Guys

I have had no trouble with mine at all, but have noticed on other retract installations that if the retract cage does not sit down level when you tighten everything down this will distort the cage and problems like you describe occur, the way I have got over this before is to put some epoxy on the retract bearers and then put some thin tape over the retract and lightly bolt them down, this should leave you with a level area to bolt too after the epoxy has gone off, if you use Hysol it will not leak away from the area you are applying it to, don't forgett to put some grease on the bolts or you may never get them off, don't ask how I know.[&o]

Mike

steveline9 03-28-2009 03:19 PM

Hi falcon fliers. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the early and later production models and if the early ones were up to wren 54 stress loadings please.

cheers guys

new2jets 03-28-2009 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: steveline9

Hi falcon fliers. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the early and later production models and if the early ones were up to wren 54 stress loadings please.

cheers guys
HI steveline9
your only just up the road from me , i fly an early model with wren supersport which gives very good power to weight ratio but wren 54 is fine.:D

Crazy4Flight 03-28-2009 04:35 PM

Send a PM to Joeflyer in this thread. I think he has had them both. bob

steveline9 03-28-2009 04:44 PM

Cheers guys, all good for the confidence. Will pm joeflyer. Got your ss dialled up to 18lb new2jets? What mods have you done on the model?

steve

Grodus 03-28-2009 04:44 PM

Steve I have both also, personally, I think the earlier ones were stronger and heavier.

Cody

new2jets 03-28-2009 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: steveline9

Cheers guys, all good for the confidence. Will pm joeflyer. Got your ss dialled up to 18lb new2jets? What mods have you done on the model?

steve
there`s only one way to have a turbine and that`s dialed up to max , mods are all on this thread mine start about page 39 have a read.

TURBINATOR 04-06-2009 11:08 AM

Well Gentlemen,

I maidened my second Falcon yesterday morning. All was well until it was time to land and the Airpower 250 retracts wouldn't come down. I spent a week tracing down air leak after air leak in those things. Even left them aired up overnight. All to no avail, they still failed. Going back to the air up spring down robarts i had in the first Falcon. Anyway, I brought her in as slow as possible with full flaps on just a few feet over the tarmac, then at the last second, hit the flaps off to avoid tearing them out. The plane skidded in on the servo arms and didn't even put a scratch on the fuse or wings. Having my Nose wheel just stick out of the well actually saved the fuse and leaving the servos out in the breeze saved the wings. Minimal damage!

Jeff

mtndewdewd 04-09-2009 08:32 AM

Hey guys. Wondering what you have done to attach your canopies? Do you just use screws? Any quick connect ideas? The way these things eat fuel - it would be nice to have a quick way to attach the canopy just prior to taxi.

Thanks in advance for thr suggestions.

joeflyer 04-09-2009 09:46 AM

If you search back in this thread you will find several different canopy attachment methods. Here's how I did mine:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_59...26/key_/tm.htm

Joe

Xairflyer 04-09-2009 03:52 PM

Yes best look back through the posts, also check the nitro planes bobcat threads as the canopy is the same.

I glued a tounge to mine at the front and then a single screw at the back, difficult to get the tongue at the right spacing but works well

resjets 04-12-2009 07:14 PM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_86..._1/key_/tm.htm

On board Fire Extinguishing system

derrickxp8103 04-15-2009 04:17 PM

Does anyone know where I could get a Falcon 120....Nitro planes is out of stock ...6 weeks dilivery time.....[X(]

Derek

joeflyer 04-15-2009 04:34 PM

There are usually some listed on eBay.

Jetpilot24 04-15-2009 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: derrickxp8103

Does anyone know where I could get a Falcon 120....Nitro planes is out of stock ...6 weeks dilivery time.....[X(]

Derek
Derick
Check the RCU classifieds I thought I saw 2 for sale there

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=504451

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=503807

BlazerB52 04-15-2009 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought the Falcon 120 (Black) which is the orange and black one.
From here: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/General-Hobby__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Should be on page 2.

Blazer

derrickxp8103 04-16-2009 12:47 PM

COOL......Found them..........Thanks guys !!!!

Derrick

baldwinc 04-17-2009 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: derrickxp8103

Derek

I just ordered mine from them yesterday- will be here next week.

steveline9 04-20-2009 04:11 PM

Just finished my build on the falcon guys and found it to be quite tail heavy. I am questioning this as i remember in this thread everyone reporting it to be not far off balance even without the battery packs installed.
I need to fil the UAT yet and try it again but with it completely dry i seem to need the batts either side of the nose retract (this is as far forward as i can get them) and also will have to add some lead. I think with the UAT full i could probably get away without the lead.
Anyone else found it to be quite tail heavy?
I am useing a single elevator setup.

cheers

Grodus 04-20-2009 05:10 PM

Steve, what turbine are you using? I have had a Super Bee ( 920 grams) on both of mine and I had to put the ECU batt and both rx packs just forward of the engine mount deck for balance. Theses kits are not all the same but that seems odd unless you have a much heavier turbine.

joeflyer 04-20-2009 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been making some progress on Falcon number 2. After fully sheeting the wings and reinforcing the booms & stab, I covered them with Monokote. You can probably guess the scheme.

Joe

joeflyer 04-20-2009 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The fuse mods are done. I've been taking my time since I had to wait for warm weather in order to paint the fuse outside.

Joe