RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5913492-bob-cat-copy-falcon-120-jet.html)

jets2 08-10-2007 09:46 AM

RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

sorry i don't know how to send a file that large to you, if you have any suggestions on how i could send it let me know and i would be happy to send to you. the file is around 55 KB.

jets2 08-10-2007 10:05 AM

Weight dry-13.4 lbs

Radio-JR790 select scan

Servos-rudder and elevator, hitech HS-225mg, ailerons and flaps hitech HS-475HB

Retracts-Robart 710RS with Robart 652 struts nose strut 656

Wheels-bvm 2 5/8

Brakes-bvm

Airframe mods-great planes 440 push rods and control horns replaced nylon bolt with metal bolts put aluminium tape on bottom of horizontal

jets2 08-10-2007 10:11 AM

i used a 32oz tank, and it flys very well[8D]

jets2 08-10-2007 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here are some pictures of my falcon

NM_Mark 08-10-2007 12:50 PM

That looks good! That engine looks like it was made to be there.

Mark

i3dm 08-13-2007 02:07 PM

Guys,

Does anyone know a feww upload site that we can use that allows DOQNLOAD rather than streaming ?

jets2 / bigplumbs , do you guys have Skype or MSN so you could send me the video direct ?

tim777jet 08-14-2007 04:43 PM

Hi, I bought the Falcon 120, a few weeks ago, she is built and ready to fly. I work away from home so will be a couple of weeks before she takes to the air.
I fitted my own built jet, similar to the KJ66 (arnt they all). The only part not home made is the compressor.
Due to this I limit the engine to a conservative 108,000 rpm, which gives me just over 12 1/4 lbs thrust. i wanted something lightly loaded, which will fly slowly and not have any nasty vises(tip stalling). Because my engine is home built, it weighs 3 pounds without accessories, so have been looking for a model like this for a while. some rough calculations show a wing loading 38.8 oz/foot squared at 18 lbs AUW. My dry weight complete with UAT full of fuel is 14lbs 14 oz. i have tried to keep weight down as much as poss. I have ordered a carbon main spar, which should save @ 35 grms. I weighed the individual parts when the kit arrived, for info here they are

Fuse - 1-045 kgs 2lbs 5 oz
Booms- 255 gms 9 oz (each)
wing - 575 gms 1 lb 4.25 oz (each)
Canopy - 75 gms 2.5 oz
Main spar 100gms 3.5 oz
front spar - 20 gms 3/4 oz
Tailplane - 115gms 4oz note my scales are only acurate to + or - 5 gms
U/c legs and blocks (fixed) 185 gms 6.5oz
optional retracts 455gms 1 lb
Fuel tank 1500ml 190gms 6.75oz
hanson UAT - 55 gms

Although I was trying to save as much weight as possible, I fitted the opt retracts (69 UK Pounds), which added 270 gms.

I used 225mg servos on rudders and flaps, but fitted one DS811 servo into the tailplane to save the weight of two servos and extra wiring. Ailerons are DS811

The Hanson UAT weighs more than I expected, the festo conection on the front is really heavy and has a really small hole in the center (1.8mm, if i remember correctly). I opened this up to 2.8mm and machined the hexagon down on the outside of the festo, this saved @ 10gms.

The canopy was a pain to fit. I steamed some 1/64 ply to the correct contour then bonded on a balsa sheet which I could not bend that much. I cut groves all along it and bonded to the ply, whist supported with pegs on the fuse. I then covered this and bonded it to the canopy to produce a deck. I wanted the canopy instantly removable. tried the normal peg in the front of the canopy and a hatch release pin on the rear, but the rear section of fuse around the canopy area is complex inside and didnt want to weaken it. I settled for two pegs in the rear canopy and a good quality spring hatch release on the front. Works a treat, but a lot of work. I like the velcro, and L shaped catches in the earlier video.

A note on the Dubro Fuel tank. The 1500 ml tank fits in niecly, but it actually holds @1800 ml. I have read about this before. i fitted my tank further back than the one shown in the video, as close the CG as possible. I removed the top web of one of the formers, and trimed the 2 formers rear of this one, so the tank slides in niecly. It is retained by 1 large tie wrap that fits around the front and rear spars beautifully. Niece and easy.

Engine is mounted on an ally angle section at front and a double curved ally plate at rear. I have fitted two failsafe lockwires at the rear until the double bent rear plate is tried and tested. 5 degs down thrust was incorported. With engine running, the tailplane is cool (also covered it in heat resistant tape), and with engine running, I can run my hand all over the rudder/fin and tailplane surfaces, no heat. Obviously the hottest period is at idle power staionary on ground.

I will post some more info shortly, might help new builds,

Kind regards Tim Ps many thanx for everyone who has posted.

tim777jet 08-14-2007 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would try some pics,

Woketman 08-14-2007 05:17 PM

Why did'nt you mount the single DS811 servo in the middle of the horizontal stabilizer? Does a full size servo fit?

Thanks.

i3dm 08-14-2007 05:17 PM

tim777jet, great idea with the servo hatch on the upper part of the stab!!

tim777jet 08-14-2007 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The pic of the inside fuse, shows where I cut the frame top web. I removed the pre-installed throttle cable and trimmed the 2 frames to the rear of this one. Afterwards I fitted a ply top web, held by 1 screw each side.

The nylon wing bolts were binned and I managed to buy some ally 7075 grade 6 mm bolts which weight nothing compared to steel bolts.

When I test ran the engine, I made up a .020" stainless plate to wrap around the tailplane and located it simply with 2 wire clips in case of a hot start. The engine would not light up, strange as for the past 10 years it has always lit up beautifully first time. I had to extend the glow plug leads by around 4 inches, but used high quality wire for this. I found that I had to increase the glow voltage 0.2 volts, then all was well. Strange.

I am using the spektrum 2.4 gig radio and am using DS 821 servos. (sorry i said DS 811 servos in my previous post). The DS821 is designed to run on 6 Volts, unlike other Digital servos. I am using a 5 cell nicad pack, direct into the receiver. Nicads are way fwd in the nose, ahead of the air tank, and receiver near rear of the canopy. I used heavy duty switch harness and wire, but havnt measured the voltage going into the receiver. Is it best to use a high current voltage regulator, or are these Digital servos ok at higher voltages when the nicads have just been charged?
. Recever pack was mounted on 2 carbon rod rails, which locates in a hardwood bearer on one frame ahead of the air tank (I removed the installed air tank holder) and another bearer block one frame rear of the first. My engine weighs @ 3/4 pound more than an MW 54, and this alleviates any nose ballast.

tim777jet 08-14-2007 05:50 PM

Mounted servo in stab towards one end as i didnt want to cut away any structure inside. This install was easy, just added some light ply around the edges and a couple of strips of hard wood to pick up the servo wing mount plate. I also wanted the servo as far away from the jet efflux as poss, but heat is not a problem. I screwed and glued the servo to the servo mount plate. Also the linkage to the elevator is really short so will help to prevent flutter. Tim

tim777jet 08-14-2007 06:04 PM

Just got dimension for the DS821 servo, 0.74 (W) 1.5 (L) 1.47 (H) 88oz/in Tourque at 6 Volts. Weight 1.5 oz

Servo just fits in. You Can just see a slight outline of one corner of the servo, on the lower surface of the solar film covering

digitech 08-15-2007 01:47 AM

anyone have the adress of the manufacturer in china?
nitromodels wont sell to europe...

bigplumbs 08-15-2007 02:00 AM

ORIGINAL: digitech

anyone have the adress of the manufacturer in china?
nitromodels wont sell to europe...

Last time I looked at the flag the UK was in Europe and we have loads over here.....

www.wholesaleplanes.co.uk

sandseeker 08-15-2007 02:31 AM

Hi Sandor, Fly model Factory, search Super Falcon 120. I got a reply from Shaonian Zhang with a quote of $165/ $170. for post to Dubai/ or $15 delivered Shanghai. You get a big discount for 25 or more units.
[email protected] for mr Zhang (v quick responce to e mail)
I am in the UK on leave so I got mine through Colechester models ( pricey option but quick service ) if Emirates bust my plane on the way back to Dubai, I will try Mr Zhang and pick up in Shanghai.

Chris

try ..rcplanemodel.en.alibaba.com/product/0/51761414/Toy_Super_Falcon_120.html

digitech 08-15-2007 03:35 AM

ORIGINAL: sandseeker

Hi Sandor, Fly model Factory, search Super Falcon 120. I got a reply from Shaonian Zhang with a quote of $165/ $170. for post to Dubai/ or $15 delivered Shanghai. You get a big discount for 25 or more units.
[email protected] for mr Zhang (v quick responce to e mail)
I am in the UK on leave so I got mine through Colechester models ( pricey option but quick service ) if Emirates bust my plane on the way back to Dubai, I will try Mr Zhang and pick up in Shanghai.

Chris

try ..rcplanemodel.en.alibaba.com/product/0/51761414/Toy_Super_Falcon_120.html

yep found them.. thanks
no offence to everyone , but most shipping over the channel is expensive..

preston_brown 08-15-2007 12:16 PM

I've ordered the Falcon 120, it will be my first gas/glow plane. I've flown a lot of electric planes and some larger .40 size electric conversion aerobats.

Anyone stuck a gas engine on a Falcon 120 yet? I've just ordered the plane and I'm trying to decide on a power source. Would a 36cc motor be too heavy (50 oz range)? I'm thinking of going gas to save on fuel costs.

Thanks,

Preston

tim777jet 08-16-2007 03:42 AM

Has anyone fitted trailing link struts to their retractable main gears, like the Jet-1A gears. I see Digitech are selling Boomerang trailing link legs for 50 euros each. Anyone know the weight of these legs, and will they fit the Falcon 120.

digitech 08-16-2007 07:00 AM

ORIGINAL: tim777jet

Has anyone fitted trailing link struts to their retractable main gears, like the Jet-1A gears. I see Digitech are selling Boomerang trailing link legs for 50 euros each. Anyone know the weight of these legs, and will they fit the Falcon 120.

i will order soon some
and will see what will fit , i guess if you use the turbine version , it will need the intro legs

BiGToP 08-18-2007 05:03 PM

Well I've decided to upgrade the control rods to 3mm threaded rod so that I can put clevis's on both ends without the need to solder them on. As it's threaded rod it becomes more flexible than no threaded, so I'll be putting a carbon rod sheath over it capped of at both ends with a 3mm lock nut. I'll post pix as and when I start on the build.
As someone said in a thread on here: The formers inside the fuse are loose, well actually there is a lot of surfaces that require glue. Please check all of them before you fly your aircraft!!
It's handy in the build process because they are all easy to get out for the Turbine conversion i.e. putting the large fuel tank in.
I put my air tank in just to test it for size, and then the former moved backward into the fuse so again...check those glue joints!

Grumman 08-19-2007 05:33 PM

[>:] Hello!!! What Prop size for a 1.30 Nitro Engine??? 3 bladed or 2???
Thanks
Mojo

Grumman 08-19-2007 05:49 PM

ORIGINAL: JIMZACH

THE PROP IS A 3 BLADE 16X10 MASTER AIRSCREW, WENT UP TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME, FLEW WELL.
Hello Jim!!! What engine was this prop on..... I just bought a 1.30 and I am trying to decide on a prop...
Thank You,
Maurice

Grumman 08-20-2007 01:23 AM

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

Hello Guys

I have just bought my Falcon 120 and intend to put a wren 54 on her like Steve... I have just started a full build thread over on RC Groups which is located here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...36#post7865189

I think this is going to be a very popular plane.....

www.densplanes.co.uk
Hello Bud!!!! Where is the build thread??? Went to the link in Groups but didn't see any build thread...
Thanks,
Mojo

JustABigKid 08-20-2007 09:57 AM

Can anyone tell me if the Falcon 120 has a symmetrical airfoil? I've heard that the smaller Bobcat 50 has a flat bottom (Clark Y) airfoil...