RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5913492-bob-cat-copy-falcon-120-jet.html)

marineA4 06-13-2008 09:25 AM

RE: Bob Cat Copy Falcon 120 Jet

Noahb,

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the build. I'll post some pics when i'm near my completion.
I forgot about Tam's wheels......I will take a look at his website tonight. I have a set of Robarts for a Hanger 9 B-25. Let me see if those fit. If they do, i'll go ahead and take them down and put them in the Falcon Jet.

Let me try and find some Hysol here in Houston.

Later everyone,

Orlando

sweetpea01 06-13-2008 12:57 PM

Put something bigger than the 32oz tank in that thing. Look back a few pages and there is a pic of a 64oz juice bottle tank. You'll be happier being able to fly for more than 4mins or so on that 32oz tank.

marineA4 06-13-2008 02:45 PM

SweetPea,

I was also considering that. I'll see what I can come across!
I've started gone ahead and applied some DP-420 to the frames and they are drying at the moment. Soon as she is ready, i'll start on the tank installation.
Let me dig around the shop and see what I come across.......

Thanks

Orlando

sweetpea01 06-13-2008 03:33 PM

I'll be starting mine in just 2.5 weeks (I hope)

Grodus 06-13-2008 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a foam plug I have made to fabricate an aft tank for my next Falcon. I have covered it with low heat covering and will lay the fiberglass later. It displaces 24oz of liquid so it turn out more capacity than I thought.

Cody

noahb 06-13-2008 04:42 PM

If you guys are looking for a 64oz tank that is tough, cheap, and will fit nicely in the Falcon (Nalgene type) check this place out.

They are cheap, you can order some tank fittings from Dreamworks or you favorite jet supply place.

I like these as they are pretty tough, they flex so I squezzed the bottom of the container together just a bit and it slid all the way back to the main wing tube.

http://wardsci.com/product.asp?pn=IG...cd2=1213393021

noahb 06-13-2008 04:44 PM

Tank layup looks good. Where you are putting the tank is where I have my smoke pump and also my rx battery.

marineA4 06-13-2008 05:12 PM

Cool SweetPea, I hope to have mine up in the air by then. I will for sure let you and others here know how it went.
I see pretty much all the info is on this thread. If I come across something interesting, i'll go ahead and take some pics and post.

Cheers,

Orlando

marineA4 06-13-2008 05:17 PM

Noahb, Grodus,

Thats where i'm looking at putting a smoke tank and its hardware. I've got that space saved at the moment....

Orlando

noahb 06-13-2008 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my mess....

Have a 16 oz smoke tank right in front of the main tank. It's kind of packed, but works great. If I ever need any more smoke fluid room I am sure I can find more room.

marineA4 06-13-2008 07:15 PM

Noahb,

The way i've set mines up it looks like I might have some room towards the rear lower hatch to fit something like that. I'll see when I get to that point!

Man it sure gets tight in there after its said and done. I'm chipping away at mine little by little. Soon as it looks good i'll take some photos.
I guess I need to put a UAT in there also, would a 4oz tank be good?

Orlando

noahb 06-13-2008 08:25 PM

sure. Most people run the UAT's. However, some just run a "header tank" of say 4 oz. I get my UAT's from the guy on RCU Hanson i believe is his name. They work good.

Because my jet was nose heavy, I had to add my battery pack in the very back area, plus I put my smoke pump back there as well.

marineA4 06-14-2008 01:28 AM

Hhhmmm, I guess i'll have to check out the UAT. I think dreamworks has them......I need to put in an order for some wheels and a few other items. I'll just go ahead and get a UAT from them.
I pretty much was just going to make my own UAT/Headertank.

Thanks bud,

Orlando

hooker53 06-14-2008 03:33 PM

WOW-Rec. my Falcon 120 Fri. and I'm impressed and I'v built a few kits in last last 40 yrs. Of coarse some of the covering was loose but thats the nature of the animal. I know I will go turbine sooner or later but just trying to decide what I can put on it to get it in the air. Wished there was a better selection of pusher props on the market. I will more than likly slap a jj1400 on the back of this one. Later. Hooker53

noahb 06-14-2008 03:57 PM

hooker...congrats. You will love it. Flys awesome, looks good and it's so cheap compared to a jet kit.

enjoy

TUMBLER 06-14-2008 06:03 PM

A UAT is more than a header. It has a bag in it which filters out air bubbles. A definite must have.

Tumbler

hooker53 06-14-2008 08:21 PM

Noahb,

You are right on all. There is something about these jets that when you open the first one and see what the big brown airplane truck has brought you, you want to turn right around and order another one just so you will always have one!!!! Ha. Ha. Wonder if anyone has tried a small gasser on one of these things?? uuuuM. Guess I'm going to check out dream works next. That name seems to be popping up alot lately on the threads here!!! Later and thanks for all the input you folks have done here. Hooker53

Grodus 06-15-2008 11:30 AM

Noahb,
Sorry, I didnt see your question regarding the differences of the recent Falcon 120 verses that one I bought a year ago..
Initially, I thought they had applied a cheaper covering. It is different as your can see the wood of the model thru the covering. Different brand? lighter weight? The quality of the application is as good as I have ever seen from an ARF. No wrinkles anywhere, no loose edges, perfect, better than my older falcon. Does anyone know what brand of covering they used?
The paint on the fuse is a lot thinner and very poor in places. Especially near the wing root and the bottom of the aft fuse. I dont think they even sanded this area before painting. There are no orange and blue stripes on the botton of the fuse. In normal indoor lighting, you can see the formers thru the side of the fuse. The fuse is a lot lighter as a result but the paint is so thin that it has already cracked in places.
The airfame has been lightened. The old Falcon had solid rudders and wing root ribs, the new one has lightning holes. I dont know where else they used lighter structure but another example is the former in the booms between the blind nut plates. this former in the old falcon was 1/4" thick, the new one is 1/16 or 3/32. There are four bolts to attach the wings on the new one verses 2 on the old one. The wing tubes are chrome plated on the new ones, (thank you) now you dont get black crap all over your hands and airplane from handling the aluminum tube.
The nylon wing bolts are a LOT better quailty than on the preveious one. I will use these rather than beating out blind nuts to install 1/4-20 as I did on the last one. Wheels/tires are different. More tire, less wheel now.
The 2 bolts that attach the stab are smaller. The formers were not glued in any better than on the last one. This is a good thing for turbine converters.
The leading edge of the wing, at the root, mates up nicely with the fuse on the new one, the wing is 1/4 inch back on the old one. the flaps on the new one are straight at the trailing edge. they mate up pefectly with the wing, not the case on the last one. Too bad, I wont be using them on this one.

That's all I see at this point. I got two this time, the other has an orange canopy frame instead of red, other than that, I havent looked at it much.

Cody

noahb 06-15-2008 12:05 PM

cool.

I am going to be building another one for a friend. Will post pictures of my mods. Will start on it in a week or two.

sweetpea01 06-15-2008 04:46 PM

Well today was a blast.......flew my first jet today. A good buddy let me buddy box his Kingcat. I flew around for about 5mins. He took and landed. I had alot of fun and was never really behind the jet at all. Looking forward to my Falcon build here in just a couple weeks. Shouldn't be long to get the waiver as I did everything in the waiver list but takeoff and landing.

seravios 06-16-2008 01:20 AM

ORIGINAL: GreenAcre

Where are the booms?? The flaps are NOT underneath the wing?? Send the one you have back to china and get this one. http://www.nitroplanes.com/fa120nigasje.html
They will ship it to you!!

Nitroplanes do not ship big plane outside USA.

noahb 06-16-2008 06:05 AM

have you tried some digitech? I think they carry the kit. Not sure that they ship overthere or not, but it's worth a try.

seravios 06-16-2008 07:04 AM

i just found out it is available in SIngapore........:D

seravios 06-16-2008 07:08 AM

i have started putting together the fake falcon [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] ...LOL....gonna installed FS70 onto it. Let see how she flies.

Grodus 06-16-2008 03:07 PM

Does anyone know what brand of iron-on film is used on the Falcon 120?

Cody