RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   To Gyro or not to Gyro? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/5999573-gyro-not-gyro.html)

tahustvedt 11-18-2008 06:15 AM

RE: To Gyro or not to Gyro?

Hi.

It doesn't feel nose heavy in flight other than the rotation is a bit quick. I think that it would be able to rotate and take off much earlier if it had a more rearward CG. I have balanced it at 133 mm / 5-1/4" according to the recommendation from the manufacturer (Tamjet). I will try experimenting with moving the CG back a little.

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

Hi tahustvedt,

Sounds to me like you have a nose heavy aircraft. My 2 1/8 F16 rotate that smothly you would probably be unable to pick the point at which the model left the ground, but my c of g (skymaster F16's) is at 175mm ("recommended" is around 140!) My model flies beautifully right way up and inverted, rotates and lands well. Where is your c of g and how are you measuring it? Mine has been measured accurate to a mm using a suspension jig. The gyro won't be able to compensate for what may be a fundamental problem with the setup.

As an aside, a fellow very experienced jet modeller just did some calculations using a aerofoil program on the correct c of g for our F16's.....guess what the majic number was? 176mm! 140mm puts the c of g on the leading edge at the MAC, ludicrous! Gyro won't fix that, especially in rate mode.

Hope that helps,

Hi David, thanks for your input.

Regards,

Craig.

Doug Cronkhite 11-18-2008 06:00 PM

Check to be sure your aircraft isn´t sitting at negative incidence either. That will cause the nose to "pop" up as you rotate as well. 0 or even +1 degree is best.

autorot 11-19-2008 03:42 AM

Hi,

one question:

When you use a gyro on nose gear (for take off and landing) you use Heading lock mode or normal mode?

For take off no problem i think in HH, but for landing... during flight, gyros is desactivate and you don't know the direction lock by the gyro during retract and activation for landing...

I have kust tested normal model on my F15 skymaster nose (gyro ASSAN G410, cheap and well)

Regards,

Sébastien

nappy99 11-19-2008 04:27 PM

ORIGINAL: autorot

Hi,

one question:

When you use a gyro on nose gear (for take off and landing) you use Heading lock mode or normal mode?

For take off no problem i think in HH, but for landing... during flight, gyros is desactivate and you don't know the direction lock by the gyro during retract and activation for landing...

I have kust tested normal model on my F15 skymaster nose (gyro ASSAN G410, cheap and well)

Regards,

Sébastien

You can switch on/off HH mode anytime during flight, as long as you don't change sub-trims, and sticks are centered when you do so. I use 3 Futaba 401's in 3D airplane, and I switch from HH, to non-HH, and OFF throughout the flight. I might swich on/off 10 times in 15 minute flight. Again, don't change sub-trims, and leave sticks centered when you switch on gyros.

autorot 11-20-2008 12:56 AM

yes with gyro on elevator or rudder or aileron, but with the gear nose i think it's different.
for example: If i switch in HH mode or activate gyro before landing , the gyro lock a cap but the plane will change is direction (last virage/ correction..etc) so when the nose gear touch the runway, the wheel will not be centered!
Another example:
With HH during take off, no problem. i retract the gear with gyro activate and for landing same problem, i don't know what cap keeps the gyro! so the nose will be not centered for landing...
you unterstand my example?

Regards,

Sébastien

552transco 11-20-2008 02:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Raf,
The JR G410T Tail Lock Gyro is no longer availble. What JR Gyro out now do you think best replaces it.

Thanks,

Wayne

This description of the 410 describes what I am looking for the nose wheel.

JR G410T Tail Lock Gyro:
Great for beginners and intermediate pilots. Not only is the G410T unbelievably easy to use and inexpensive, it is also extremely compact.