RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   How is the JD Enterprise JDE 54 Turbine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/622821-how-jd-enterprise-jde-54-turbine.html)

JasonP 03-14-2003 05:33 AM

How is the JD Enterprise JDE 54 Turbine

Does anyone have any experience with the JD Enterprise JDE 54 with full auto start. I am in the process of buying a Yellow Aircraft Stingray and was thinking of purchasing one of these engines for it.
Thanks in advance
Jason

randykrul 03-14-2003 09:43 AM

jde 54

I have 2 of these that I built from kits. I don't have auto start, I have electric, that was my choice, I think these are easy to start with electric without having more stuff on board. The newer JDE54, that Dennis is now producing, is even better and more efficient than the ones I have. Both of mine run falwless, and if you need any help Dennis will bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied. He is now producing these in the US, and that means no waiting on parts from Europe. Some of the parts are from Wren ( I think the turbine and maybe the compressor )but he keeps improving the design, and also making it an American product, ( like using inches instead of metric for screws etc. ). I am lucky because his shop is only 46 miles from where I live and I can just pop over and get some help or parts. Dennis is a great guy and he makes a very fine product.

I have been flying one on a Kangaroo ( dry weight of 15 1/2 lbs. ) and it flies great with this 12 lb thrust engine. Buy the way, I think the newer JDE54 puts out more than 12 lbs and is more efficient in fuel usage. Ask Dennis at JDE.

You will be getting a good product and you will get good service.

Randy Krul

Cowdog 03-14-2003 02:08 PM

Jason,

I've got an autostart version but I use manual propane since I didn't want to carry the extra few oz of weight of a propane tank and propane solenoid on my Yellow F-18.

I've had about 20 runs on the engine and 4 flights with no issues. With a full 56 oz on my airplane I can get about 6.5 minutes at full power before I start to get bubbles from the feeder tank.

Dennis also recently replaced my GSU after it was kinked and created a short in the cabling.. for free!!

Regards

Hank

cactusflyer 03-14-2003 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To All:
Here's a picture of what I got from JDE after 4 1/2 WEEKS of promises, commitments and waiting! NOTHING ! I can't say enough about my dissatisfaction with JDE here on this forum. Send me a private e-mail for "the rest of the story". Go with Wren Turbines LTD., you won't be disappointed.
I've got a list of names of folks with similar impressions.

John

jacksonretlaw-RCU 03-14-2003 07:55 PM

My experience has been favorable.Dennis at JDE has been very
helpful.I built my turbine with parts from him.Made my turbine
very affordable to me.Took me a year to complete,but did not
have to sacrfice any off my many hobbies to have my turbine.
This tubine is a very good design.I start mine manual with no
ecu.How many turbines out there can you do that with.Have
Orbit ECU when time to mount in my jet.Dennis kept me up to date on any improvements on my Wren 54.I also ordered a Lavi
from him.He has been very strait with me.Best regard's.

johnnyjet 03-15-2003 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As much as I love this hobby when it comes to turbines instant gratification is not all ways possible.

Almost 2 years ago I ordered a turbine from another well-known company. (Whom I chose not to name)

I was promised a delivery date, the date came and went after weeks of missed promises
I canceled the order. This would have been my second turbine.

Last year at FL jets I walked in to this another well-known company ‘s tent and introduced my self we talked about how supply and demand can make us look like, well you know.

This scenario has happened with every turbine jet company that has been doing business for any length of time!

I am lead to believe that the jet community is the cream of the crop and we set an example for the rest of the modeling community.

Cactusflyer – john

So, I know how you feel along with many others who have traveled the same path before us.

We are not unique nor alone we just choose to promote turbine jet molding as a whole.

We want attract the new comer to turbine jets not the other way around.

Now here’s my latest

T minus 1 week and counting on the Roo flight.

On a test run Saturday with the breaks locked 63oz of fuel and an 18-pound bar of aluminum across the mains.

I began to run the turbine (JDE54) up, at about 85-90% throttle the 14.5-pound Roo (locked breaks and bar of aluminum and fuel) launched like a rocket!

It’s a good thing I keep my hand on the nose of the Roo at all times.

Now correct me if I am wrong but does this equal 12 pounds of thrust?

Rpm = 160000 egt = 540

Having fun

Johnny

P.S. 2.5% 2380 with no snake oil at all ;)

cactusflyer 03-15-2003 04:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
johnnyjet,
I understand the concept of taking the high road. All I'm trying to do is relate to others my problems with a "manufacturer". I just hope others don't have to be exposed to the less than "instant gratification" that I went through. As as attracting a newcomer, well, I would hope to help a newcomer avoid the frustrations that I went through so that he could at least get what is promised. Below is a picture of what arrived 7 days after I ordered it..... exactly as promised from the United Kingdom and at 2/3 the shipping cost of the JDE54. Three days later I had a great running Wren MW54.
Back on 11/21/2002 I took a "hit" from you when explained one of Dennis F.'s excuses by comparing it with your dealings with some "kid" that you were trying to sell a car to. You stated that you lied to him to "protect your interest". Well, Johnnyjet, the folks at Wren saw no "need" to deceive me and they delivered as promised.......
Maybe instant gratification is not always possible but the folks at Wren Turbines LTD. come fairly close!

Congrats on your success with the Roo!

John

johnnyjet 03-15-2003 05:17 PM

Your scenario has happened with every turbine jet company that has been doing business for any length of time.

can we go back to fun now?:)

best of wishes

Johnny

dw_crash 01-07-2011 08:22 PM

RE: How is the JD Enterprise JDE 54 Turbine

Johnny,

To the best of my Knowledge.....most JDE engines were rate at 70 newtons or 14+ lbs of thrust. The three I have were bench tested, initially, at 14 lb thrust....that is uncorrect to standard conditions. It was a normal warm, humid northern Claifornia day when they were measured.

Dave

LGM Graphix 01-07-2011 08:27 PM

wow, nothing like dragging up threads from the dead hey Dave ;)

johnnyjet 01-08-2011 01:08 AM

Dave
Wow, yes good times.
JD is one of the good guys.
My jets grew out of that power range rather quickly.
But still, yes good times.
Johnny

panther 1 08-08-2011 04:28 PM

Is JD Enterprises still in business? I tried to pull his site and got nothing? Anybody know something?

dw_crash 08-09-2011 07:38 PM

Panther1,

Officially, JDE is temporarily on hiatus. The market demand is not there in this economy. But, you can call Dennis. He will fully support any of his products.....and assist with other. I have 4 engines of his fabrication. He supports me very well. And, he is one of the fairest guys I know when it comes to charges.

DW_Crash

DennisF 08-20-2011 09:20 AM

Catusflyer

You and I JDE had settled this long ago can't see a why you are still bringing up this subject again and again to be a customer of any company you had to spend money with them in the first place so if all your claims have any truth show all these good folks your invoice copy From JDE.

Dennis

panther 1 08-22-2011 05:10 PM

Hey Dennis! You're not going to remember this, but for what its worth (a lot to me away) I bought a Lavi from you when I was stationed at Ft Huachuca, AZ. JDE was very help with the purchase and sent a lot of help info for the jet. My only regret is not being able to buy another jet from you! Thanks!

dw_crash 08-22-2011 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: panther 1

Hey Dennis! You're not going to remember this, but for what its worth (a lot to me away) I bought a Lavi from you when I was stationed at Ft Huachuca, AZ. JDE was very help with the purchase and sent a lot of help info for the jet. My only regret is not being able to buy another jet from you! Thanks!
Panther1,

give Dennis a call....you still can probably get the plane you want. Dennis is the type of guy that will do that for you.

dw_crash

causeitflies 08-22-2011 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: DennisF

Catusflyer

You and I JDE had settled this long ago can't see a why you are still bringing up this subject again and again to be a customer of any company you had to spend money with them in the first place so if all your claims have any truth show all these good folks your invoice copy From JDE.

Dennis
Dennis,
This an OLD thread. The last post from cactusflyer is more than eight years old ;)

LGM Graphix 08-22-2011 07:29 PM

His post is over 8 years old. It got drug up out of the ashes.

Catusflyer

Dennis

molo_30 08-23-2011 01:05 AM

ORIGINAL: johnnyjet

As much as I love this hobby when it comes to turbines instant gratification is not all ways possible.

Almost 2 years ago I ordered a turbine from another well-known company. (Whom I chose not to name)

I was promised a delivery date, the date came and went after weeks of missed promises
I canceled the order. This would have been my second turbine.

Last year at FL jets I walked in to this another well-known company �s tent and introduced my self we talked about how supply and demand can make us look like, well you know.

This scenario has happened with every turbine jet company that has been doing business for any length of time!

I am lead to believe that the jet community is the cream of the crop and we set an example for the rest of the modeling community.

Cactusflyer � john

So, I know how you feel along with many others who have traveled the same path before us.

We are not unique nor alone we just choose to promote turbine jet molding as a whole.

We want attract the new comer to turbine jets not the other way around.

Now here�s my latest

T minus 1 week and counting on the Roo flight.

On a test run Saturday with the breaks locked 63oz of fuel and an 18-pound bar of aluminum across the mains.

I began to run the turbine (JDE54) up, at about 85-90% throttle the 14.5-pound Roo (locked breaks and bar of aluminum and fuel) launched like a rocket!

It�s a good thing I keep my hand on the nose of the Roo at all times.

Now correct me if I am wrong but does this equal 12 pounds of thrust?

Rpm = 160000 egt = 540

Having fun

Johnny

P.S. 2.5% 2380 with no snake oil at all ;)
That would have to be the funniest thing I have read for the last ten years....

cactusflyer 08-24-2011 08:30 PM

Catusflyer

Dennis

HOLY CRAP!......................:D

Tailwinds,

John