RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   It went Thud when I dropped it...... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/6315421-went-thud-when-i-dropped.html)

Hustler58 09-02-2007 02:12 PM

RE: It went Thud when I dropped it......

1 Attachment(s)
This will give you a idea of what we are going to do. Missing a 1/48th scale F-100 and F-104.

tp777fo 09-02-2007 02:23 PM

Dont stop on the 106.....the graceful fighter ever flown!

Hustler58 09-02-2007 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tom, I am finishing the CAD work on the F-106. Should start cutting next week but it won't be finished for Waco ( Sorry). I'll show it to you when it is finished. Butch

ps2727 09-02-2007 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got a little more done on the gear mockup. As usual for a scale project the gear presents problems, the challenge is to get it all inside a very thin wing.
To get the wheel to lay flat the strut has to pivot a few degrees so I got that part working so far. There is a long way to go.....
Also found I had the wrong wheel size, it should be 5.75 diameter.
I guess I need to figure out how to work a calculator before starting to build a scale model.

Paul

Hustler58 09-02-2007 10:49 PM

Paul, does Tim know you have his Tinker Toy's?

WhoDaMan 09-02-2007 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guy's throw this in the mix

ps2727 09-02-2007 11:47 PM

Butch, he said he needed them this semester at A&M.
Paul

Hustler58 09-03-2007 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paul keep building ,I have the vertical and horizontals cut.

WhoDaMan 09-03-2007 03:24 PM

Hi Butch:
Those Horizontals look small, or is it just tha angle of the picture
Dave

If you look at the picture I posted of the bottom of the black and white they look small

Pantherman 09-03-2007 04:06 PM

OMG...[X(] that is awesome guys!!! Definitely the most "hotel-sierra" bird ever built. Keep going, that Thud is going to be a show stopper in that scale!!!

Agreed that the horizontal stabs look a little small. May just be the photos.

Any thoughts of doing an "F" Weasel model???

Great work guys!

Woody

Hustler58 09-03-2007 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The horizontals are very small. But they are scale. It's like a fat girl, her feet look smaller.:)

mr_matt 09-03-2007 05:34 PM

Again this is awesome.

I know I have asked you guys before, but do you solid model projects like this? Use Rhino or something?

Also, is this a "D" model?

If you get backed into a corner on that gear, you can go hydraulic, it is incredibly powerful and you don't need locks but it is incredbly messy.

Regards,

Hustler58 09-03-2007 05:48 PM

Matt, I use Rhino and RhinoCAM. Rhino CAM is VisialMill built in to Rhino. Yes its a "D" model. Can I call you and find out about the hydraulics ? Butch [email protected]

mr_matt 09-03-2007 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Hustler58

I use Rhino and RhinoCAM. Rhino CAM is VisialMill built in to Rhino.
You are my hero.

You can call me anytime (tomorrow, I have to get the brood to bed now). (805) 907 4462

If you need something for your bedside table tonight a description of the system is at http://www.modelltechnik.at/Downloads/MTHHyV6E.pdf

As for the cylinders, they are semi custom, and I have the size parameters at work. IIRC, they go up to at least 25MM (all metric, ugh) diameter, and the lengths are soft tooled to anything you want above a minimum.

Although the system should only go to 9 bar at most (about 130 PSI) the power is different than pneumatic. I am not sure why but they are relentless over the whole range of retract motion. It seems some pneumatic systems need a lot of velocity (BANG) to get up and down, these things take many seconds and they feel like they would break your hand if you got it trapped.

EDIT I almost forgot the best part, they don't need up or down locks. The Hausl cylinders have back to back non return valves that trap all of the hydraulic fluid in the cylinder. And unlike the old Composit ARF system, you can cut the lines off of the strut once it is bled and it stays locked. In fact that is one of its downsides, you can't move the struts by hand! (well you can if you rig up a couple of handheld pressure/vacuum pumps, it is tough and messy).

The new Composite ARF MIG 29 system uses the same hydralic pumps valves and accululator but different cylinders. The cylinders have an actual lock in them, a set of balls that expand out into a groove in the cylinder wall, a true mechanical lock. That is all I know about their system although I have a contact for the guy who makes them for CARF

Regards,

yeahbaby 09-03-2007 10:13 PM

easier to tip over too!!!

ORIGINAL: Hustler58

The horizontals are very small. But they are scale. It's like a fat girl, her feet look smaller.:)

patf 09-04-2007 07:56 AM

something funny about a 105 in flight refueling another 105! if i remember they could take off in burner and if continued on burner could use thier entire fuel load in a matter of minutes.

wonderful undertaking guys! are you bringing Lynn Mc with you? all we need is a tom cook appearance.

ps2727 09-04-2007 08:47 AM

Don't know about Tom but Lynn says he'll make it.
Paul

DocYates 09-04-2007 09:42 AM

Disregard, I got the name of the book wrong, I was thinking of Thud Ridge, not Bury Me Upside Down, which was about a unit flying F-100's not 105's.
My mistake. Thanks Sean for setting me straight.
Tommy

ps2727 10-19-2007 02:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The gear is coming along. Many thanks to Mike Kulzyk and Lynn McCauley for figuring all this out for me!
Paul:D

marc s 10-19-2007 03:30 AM

As you guys are all very experienced, and this project looks fantastic, I have attached a link to a US company who make mechanical conversions for retracts and alike, redering them scale in operation - they may have a use somewhere in your project (canopy - air brakes etc....)

I am sure you all know of them, but a bonus if not.

Will watch you thread with interest.

[link]http://www.lado-tech.com[/link]

seanreit 10-19-2007 07:31 AM

Looks good Paul. Can I see a picture of the lathe you use?

Hustler58 10-19-2007 07:55 AM

Yea Paul and show him picture of your CNC Mill that you won't FINISH ! It's almost like new (never been turned on in 4 yrs).

patf 10-19-2007 08:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i thought he had just trained one of these?

ppljr 10-19-2007 08:50 AM

You guys do know about this one right? Just up the road in at Addison Airport, I know it's an "E" model but could give some good detail:

http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/Thunderchief.htm

drdoom 10-19-2007 08:54 AM

I want the F-101 Voo Doo...