RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Tam A4 Build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/6496782-tam-a4-build.html)

marc s 10-16-2007 05:57 AM

Tam A4 Build

Guys, up for another A4, P80 powered build thread?

marc.

rcguy! 10-16-2007 06:10 AM

RE: Tam A4 Build

naw...

Dave

Eddie P 10-16-2007 06:20 AM

Yes :D

Ali 10-16-2007 06:26 AM

Only if you change that P-80 to a P-60 ;)
The parts for this build will be shipping out to day. Just waiting on Tam for the Retracts set and cockpit.
Regards Al

marc s 10-16-2007 07:47 AM

OK, will keep it simple (as I can!)

P60 then Ali - still getting to grips with all this technical jargon;)

Key to this build is keeping the weight down, so I guess i had better stock up on Dremmel sanding bits:)

(hear Marks' hawk is out of the sprayshop this weekend - ideas on the MiG colours yet?)

marc

tamjets 10-16-2007 10:33 AM

ORIGINAL: marc s

OK, will keep it simple (as I can!)

P60 then Ali - still getting to grips with all this technical jargon;)

Key to this build is keeping the weight down, so I guess i had better stock up on Dremmel sanding bits:)

(hear Marks' hawk is out of the sprayshop this weekend - ideas on the MiG colours yet?)

marc

Dremel sand drum and cutting bid is your best friend.

ianober 10-16-2007 11:22 AM

You shouldnt need all those bits if you got Tam's newer light weight version which has already been ground on!!!!;)

marc s 10-16-2007 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like some has been done, so hopefully only one mask filter!

The wing roots have been lightened already, so saved a job here.

The main hatch had potential to save a few grams, so cut out some glass here and there, and modified the 'bump' fixing system to shave a few more..... another 30g less.

It's great having the wings all built (cheers Tam), the MiG15 was rewarding but very time consuming:)

Ali has sent some of the main equipment off to me today so will crack on over the next few days.

marc.

ianober 10-16-2007 02:00 PM

Marc, depending on where your saddle tanks end up you may need to shave the main hatch even more so that will save more weight.

jeteffx 10-17-2007 01:28 PM

Marc S,
keep the info coming. I have a TJ A4 painted in trainer colors. I plan to get as much weight reduced from this jet because I am going to fill in the seams and re-paint to a different scheme.....also i plan to install 18 lb. thrust turbine.........regards.......Perry Herring

ianober 10-17-2007 02:06 PM

Perry, dont worry about weight if your putting in a P-70. Mine had a P-70 and I did a custom paint job and it flew fine, so no worries for you.

marc s 10-17-2007 04:43 PM

Perry, I am sure it will be fine as Ian says.

I am looking to experiment in a mechanical system for the front gear door, saving cylinder, valve, air line etc - not sure how feasable but worth a little look. No gear today so worked a little on my plane:)

Will keep you all posted.

Stig Andersen 10-18-2007 05:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello.

I hope you don't mind me dropping in on this thread. I'm also building the A-4 (Same scheme) and I'm working on the servo mountings and all control surfaces at the moment. I'm wondering whether some of the servos can be run over a Y-lead, to save some channels in the receiver. The way I see it, I need at least a 10 channel receiver for this model, if I don't use Y-leads.

Any suggestions?

marc s 10-18-2007 09:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Stig Andersen

I'm wondering whether some of the servos can be run over a Y-lead, to save some channels in the receiver.
I,m not really qualified to answer this, but I would guess you can.

Hopefully one of the pro's will chip in with the answer.

tamjets 10-18-2007 10:36 AM

Hello.

I hope you don't mind me dropping in on this thread. I'm also building the A-4 (Same scheme) and I'm working on the servo mountings and all control surfaces at the moment. I'm wondering whether some of the servos can be run over a Y-lead, to save some channels in the receiver. The way I see it, I need at least a 10 channel receiver for this model, if I don't use Y-leads.

Any suggestions?
Stig,
I reverse one of the the flap and elevator servo to run the Y-extension.
Or run the match box to reverse the servo.

ianober 10-18-2007 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a SmartFly PowerExpander in my A-4 and it worked great. The only down side is that it takes up a lot of room in the cockpit area but its definately doable. I did this so I wouldnt have to use Y's or things like that.

Heres a pic of my board:

Stig Andersen 10-18-2007 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: tamjets

Stig,
Thanks, Tam.

I actually learned something new today. You can buy Y-leads that reverses one servo, and I can actually get them at my local dealer. They are about 20 dollars.[X(]

I got some work done in my shop today. I glued all the servo mounts and control horns, plus the hinges.
I'm using Graupner DS3328 on elevator, rudder and aileron. I'm using Graupner DS 8081 for the flaps.
Glue will be cleaned up later tonight.

ChrisAttebery 10-18-2007 03:49 PM

If you use Hitec digital servos you can reverse them with the programmer. Be wairy of the reversing Y connectors. They may not sync the servos that well.

Shaun Evans 10-18-2007 04:06 PM

Yeah,

I've had some less-than-confidence-inspiring experiences with those reversing Y's. Depending on your servo, you can reverse it yourself or order them reversed.

Vincent 10-18-2007 04:58 PM

I have used the Y reverser from electrodynamics on two recent jets and they work perfect with excellent centering.
V..

tamjets 10-18-2007 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: tamjets

Stig,
Thanks, Tam.

I actually learned something new today. You can buy Y-leads that reverses one servo, and I can actually get them at my local dealer. They are about 20 dollars.[X(]

I got some work done in my shop today. I glued all the servo mounts and control horns, plus the hinges.
I'm using Graupner DS3328 on elevator, rudder and aileron. I'm using Graupner DS 8081 for the flaps.
Glue will be cleaned up later tonight.

Don't use the reverse Y-estension. Back in the old DF day. I got one that act weird on me.
Some servo you can open up and reverse two pole on the motor. Most servo are corless. You can do that easy or order reverse servo.

Stig Andersen 10-22-2007 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my A-4 on wheels today.[sm=tongue_smile.gif]

marc s 10-22-2007 04:44 PM

Stig, while I have been waiting for equipment I have been looking at various parts and assembly points, so maybe you can help me out.

The wheel blisters, is the cut out made by trial and error, or do you transpose the wing cut out to the blisters allowing for wheel arc motion? (I thought of tracing the wing cut out and using a photocopier reduce the size overall to produce a smaller footprint-would this work?)

I ask because the fitment and alignment seem very critical and there is not much margin for error!

Good to see the guy on wheels, hopefully gear will be with me in a week or so.

Have opted for matchbox's on the steering/rudder and flaps, so this allows the Spektrum 9c receiver to fit, and no Y leads to mess around with.

Stig Andersen 10-23-2007 12:34 AM

Stig, while I have been waiting for equipment I have been looking at various parts and assembly points, so maybe you can help me out.

The wheel blisters, is the cut out made by trial and error, or do you transpose the wing cut out to the blisters allowing for wheel arc motion? (I thought of tracing the wing cut out and using a photocopier reduce the size overall to produce a smaller footprint-would this work?)

I ask because the fitment and alignment seem very critical and there is not much margin for error!
That is a good idea. I spent a lot of time with the one wheel blister I fittet yesterday. Basically the wing cutout can be transposed, but there is still some individual trimming to be done.

Have opted for matchbox's on the steering/rudder and flaps, so this allows the Spektrum 9c receiver to fit, and no Y leads to mess around with.
I think I might opt for the matchbox as well. Just to keep the installation as simple as possible.

tamjets 10-23-2007 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Wait for the retract before cut out the wheels pod.
Bend the vent up for the saddle tanks and the pick tube left it straight.
Trim the hatch to clear the saddle tank.

Here is Aussie Dave scooter.

Also my RIP Blue Angel power by DS-94 fan conversion.