RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7158450-reaction-arf-pst-bte-all-composite-sport-jet.html)

rcguy! 07-30-2009 11:17 AM

RE: Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

ORIGINAL: mnsi

No issue with the glue letting go when the turbine is running?

Spray contact cement will do well. I also added BVM hatch screws, about 4 or 5 per side "to be sure"

Dave

bob1393 07-30-2009 12:00 PM

Joe - I never used the heat shield on the aft fuselage, and after 30 flights it looks great. I do use a pipe, however, when starting the turbine just in case of a hot start. The
pipe is about 3 feet long and extends from the turbine out past the empenage. Once turbine has started I remove the pipe.

Bob

Ian Burridge 07-30-2009 01:36 PM

Joe,
I used silicon sealer taped down well on the edges, it gives you plenty of time to position and has not let go over 30+ flights.
Ian.

mnsi 07-30-2009 10:05 PM

Hello Bob,
So as long as I use a start pipe I should be fine? The Wren SS sits further in the hole forward than most turbines and the exhaust cone is shielded by the SS shroud. Do you notice if the aft area is warm at all while its running?

Thanks, Joe

bob1393 07-31-2009 05:33 PM

Joe - I have felt the underside of the fuselage behind the turbine immediately after shutting it down and it barely feels warm. I have a P80 in mine.

Bob

mnsi 07-31-2009 06:22 PM

Thanks Bob,
I am going to use a Wren SS and it does not stick out as far as your so I am sure it will be fine also.

Joe

mnsi 08-01-2009 06:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I painted the front strut and wheel this weekend.

mnsi 08-01-2009 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of the rigging by the turbine. All of the wires are run underneath the fuel tank (plenty of space). The fuel supply line and filter will run on the bottom part of the fuel tank for serviceability.

Joe

mnsi 08-02-2009 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the gear door install. I am using a BVM 1 5/16 air cylinder with a tamjets micro switch for the door cylinder actuation. I like the tams unit over the bvm due to the HD aluminum bracket he uses. The nose gear is a Tams direct steering unit with a Hanger 9 TI rod and ball links. The retract unit fit in just fine, I just had to widen the area on the second former back.

rcguy! 08-03-2009 04:57 AM

MNSI,
Great Pics! Can you tell us the weight when finished? Mine weighed 26 pounds 2oz with a P80SE before the smoke install.
Thanks

Dave Rigotti

mnsi 08-03-2009 07:03 AM

Will do Dave, I am hoping to have it finished in about 2 weeks so we can have a maiden flight.

Joe

mnsi 08-05-2009 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little more work done. The fin and stab are finished and no more seam lines! I used a HS-5645 in the rudder with the metal arm and a Tams servo mount unit . I also soldered up the leads on the Graupner wire disconnects for the ailerons and flaps. I am going to finish rigging the rest of the electronics on the fuse tray area then I will jump to the wings which I am saving for last.

Joe

mnsi 08-08-2009 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished one wing with the servo/ air quick disconnects. I added a 1/8 lite ply re enforcement plate on the inside of the wing for stifness, very easy access via the wheel opening. I am also going to line the wheel wheel with a lito glass plate from Todd at Dreamworks, install the fairing and paint it. The disconnects work very well, smooth and easy.

Joe

gruntled 08-08-2009 06:50 PM

I saw one of these fly at my club today powered by a P-80se. I was quite impressed. The plane really looks sharp in the Navy scheme and really appeared to fly well.

skywarrior 08-09-2009 04:43 PM

Hi,
I am thinking of increasing the engine size of my Reaction to a 120 size and would like to know what range of fuel only tanks are available please.
Regards

David

BruceTharpe 08-10-2009 04:53 PM

David, PST makes four tanks for the Reaction ARF. The main tanks are 2.5L and 3.8L. The two smaller tanks are 1L, and can be used for smoke fluid or extra fuel. You could order through Ali. More info on my website:

http://www.btemodels.com/rarf-fueltanks.html

Bruce

BruceTharpe 08-10-2009 04:57 PM

Socomon, I'm guessing you saw Bruce Hanson's newly-finished ARF. He is a Reaction fanatic (I call them "Reactionaries") - he's owned several wood kits and the ARF.

rcguy! 08-10-2009 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

Socomon, I'm guessing you saw Bruce Hanson's newly-finished ARF. He is a Reaction fanatic (I call them ''Reactionaries'') - he's owned several wood kits and the ARF.
Bruce,
Anything as an "Over 'Reactionaries''?

Dave Rigotti

gruntled 08-10-2009 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

Socomon, I'm guessing you saw Bruce Hanson's newly-finished ARF. He is a Reaction fanatic (I call them ''Reactionaries'') - he's owned several wood kits and the ARF.

You are correct Sir! It went straight up like a scared squirrell.

DENTO 08-14-2009 12:39 PM

G-DAY GUYS
KRAIVUTH I have had 40 flight on my Reaction now All very nice, This thing is a dream to fly and land ,Bit more imformation on crow if you have any please,

Belated answer, Back a bit in the forum I had a shot of Manfred with his wild thing Yes that is a PST jet, He won,t now buy any thing else,He is an old customer of
of yours from way back.
REGARDS
JOHN

PS HEY Joe you have a very nice set up there I like your doors, NEXT TIME FOR ME,

mnsi 08-15-2009 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks John. Here are some pics of the wheel well liners and wing tip skids. I re enforced the opening with 1/4 by 1/4 bals and used the .020 epoxy glass litho sheets. On the wing fairing I followed Bruce's advice and trimmed the edges, ca tacked it and followed it with a Hysol filet all around. I have a question on the radio mixing. For full down flaps in landing how much elevator (up or down) are you guys using, and for takeoff how many degrees flap, same for landing?

Thanks, Joe

FILE IFR 08-15-2009 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It was a sad day for me and my Reaction today. I lost my Reaction today after just 15 flights due to a slow power loss of the engine related to an ECU glitch shortly after rotation. I tried to keep it as flat as possible as it was going down. Damage is too severe to repair.

I've had so much fun with this jet.. smoke, airbrake and 90 degree flap deflection.... so I need to order another one.

Here's a few pics of the before and after. Note the burns on the tail.... The hot engine ignited dry grass after impact wich burned the fiberglass. Fortunately the turbine is "ok", but is heading for service Monday morning.

** EDITED for cause of engine power loss**, Turbine wheel is being serviced at the moment.

mnsi 08-15-2009 08:33 PM

Damn man,
Sorry to hear and see that. What kind of turbine is it?

Joe

FILE IFR 08-15-2009 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: mnsi

Damn man,
Sorry to hear and see that. What kind of turbine is it?

Joe

... one that burns kero ;). I won't name the brand, they all function the same way anyway.

u2fast 08-15-2009 10:51 PM

sorry to see that mike. keep your chin up. barry