RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7158450-reaction-arf-pst-bte-all-composite-sport-jet.html)

Sonicwings 12-29-2009 02:14 AM

RE: Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

Bruce BTE,

Thank you for your answers to my questions... sorry ive not been back on here as been away...

Have made a start on my build, but i seem to be making more work than moving foward rite now, however my 120SX turned up, and looks the business...
More soon,

Chrs Jeremy.

DENTO 01-28-2010 04:45 AM

HI Kraivuth
Not sure on this one, But did you have a directive on the flap hinge have looked and can,t find on the forum, My flap hinge line is starting to delaminate not real bad at this stage, So am wondering if you have a quick fix, Apart from all that after 100 or so flites mine is still going strong The REACTION is on mean JET still having lots of fun.
REGARDS
JOHN

BruceTharpe 01-28-2010 09:51 AM

John, there have been three directives on the Reaction since it was introduced. The first addresses your flap delam issue. The quick and easy fix is to simply apply some CA along the skin/balsa joint. The more involved fix is to add a layer of glass and epoxy on the balsa spar, always being careful to keep glue away from the hinge line. All new Reactions are glassed in this area at the PST factory.

Here's a link to a list of the directives: http://www.btemodels.com/rarf-directives.html

DENTO 01-28-2010 02:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: BruceTharpe

John, there have been three directives on the Reaction since it was introduced. The first addresses your flap delam issue. The quick and easy fix is to simply apply some CA along the skin/balsa joint. The more involved fix is to add a layer of glass and epoxy on the balsa spar, always being careful to keep glue away from the hinge line. All new Reactions are glassed in this area at the PST factory.

Here's a link to a list of the directives: http://www.btemodels.com/rarf-directives.html
Thanks for the reply Bruce I don,t think that I have to much to worry about I shall download some shots to show you, They ar not real good as I took them a little close,Bruce do you know the width of the hing tape that PST use that will give me some Idear as to if the line is ok, By the way there is plenty of glue on the spar and there is no problem there.
REGARDS
JOHN

DENTO 01-28-2010 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: DENTO

Thanks for the reply Bruce I don,t think that I have to much to worry about I shall download some shots to show you, They ar not real good as I took them a little close,Bruce do you know the width of the hing tape that PST use that will give me some Idear as to if the line is ok, By the way there is plenty of glue on the spar and there is no problem there.
REGARDS
JOHN
PS To all that bruce you may notice a fine crack close to the hinge line
REGARDS
JOHN

BruceTharpe 01-28-2010 10:24 PM

Ahhh, I totally mis-understood your first post. With the pics, now I see the problem is with the actual skin hinge. Is it starting to tear along the hinge line? Have not heard of that happening with any others. I honestly don't know about their construction details and how the skin hinges are made. They look to have little black fibers running perpendicular to the hinge line - I figured those were little reinforcements/ripstops. We need some input from PST here...

You could post the question as a new topic - others might have experience fixing skin hinges like this on other models.

FILE IFR 01-29-2010 12:16 AM

Hi John,
It's tough to tell from the pics, but is it the hinge strip lifting from the skin? If you push up or down on the flap/ailerons, does the strip come away from the skin...in other words do the 2 surfaces 'shift' from being flush to the surface.

I ask because my ARF has a fine line of paint cracking at the line and it looks alarming, but it's normal. Once in a while I've 'tested' the hinge on mine by unhooking the clevises and trying to shift the surfaces out-of-flush and it's always a good bond at the hinge strip.

Sonicwings 01-29-2010 02:01 AM

Hi all,

Well this hinge issue is also concerning me, as i have one wing with a clean hinge line on flap, the other wing it looks as if the flap hinge delaminated when it was cut and first flexed, resulting in a bubble along the hinge line at the joint, both sides of flex centre, also the flap now sits slightly proud on the top skin of wing !!!
Bear inmind my model isnt built and flow yet !!! Out of the box like this...
Shall try take and post some pics later today...

PS, DENTO, Can you get some clearer pics up ???

Chrs Jeremy.

DENTO 01-29-2010 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: FILE IFR

Hi John,
It's tough to tell from the pics, but is it the hinge strip lifting from the skin? If you push up or down on the flap/ailerons, does the strip come away from the skin...in other words do the 2 surfaces 'shift' from being flush to the surface.

I ask because my ARF has a fine line of paint cracking at the line and it looks alarming, but it's normal. Once in a while I've 'tested' the hinge on mine by unhooking the clevises and trying to shift the surfaces out-of-flush and it's always a good bond at the hinge strip.
HI MIKE
That is how it is mike just as you say, You explained it better than me and like I said I don,t think there is a real problem just a bit daunting to see it like that but I sure it will
be fine.

Jeremy
Am sure if your problem sounds like mine things should be ok,But yes out of the box bit surprised,Can understand now that it maybe just (cosmetic) for want of a word.
REGARDS TO ALL
thanks for the imput
JOHN

Sonicwings 01-31-2010 01:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Hopefully my pics showing my delaminating flap hinge line...

Any comments ???

Cheers Jeremy.

DENTO 02-01-2010 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Sonicwings

Hi all,

Hopefully my pics showing my delaminating flap hinge line...

Any comments ???

Cheers Jeremy.
Jeremy
If you push the flap down you will see that the composit material they use finishes on both sides of the hing line about 5mm from the hinge line you will then find on the outside where the glass skin is cracked is inline with the composit and as mike said both points move up and down at the same time so what I ended up doing was ran thin CA along the edge of the composit and hing tape and it has fixed the problem it is now solid as a rock with no binding .
REGARDS
JOHN

Tim Redelman 02-01-2010 09:45 PM

if anyone has one of these used but in good condition I would like to buy one with retracts/ wheels brakes but no radio or turbine. If your intrested please pm me with detailed pictures. Thanks Tim Redelman.

BruceTharpe 02-26-2010 12:02 PM

This is long overdue, but I finally finished updating the online assembly instructions. For those of you who have a Reaction ARF or Reaction X still in the works, it might be helpful to check it out. Nothing major, but there have been updates to the sections on fuel tanks, retracts, tail mounting, etc... You will also find a new air system schematic for the Pro-Links Deluxe retract package. Another nice change is that when you click on a small image, the enlarged version appears right there (not in a new window), similar to how RCU images appear.

http://www.btemodels.com/rarf-instructions.html

I've also added an optional accessory package to convert the standard elevator control horn into a double horn with a ball link.

http://www.btemodels.com/rarf.html Scroll down to Accessories from BTE and click the pic.

paulsf86 02-27-2010 01:55 AM

Bruce:

Great job on manual updates. The expanded picture option is really helpful. I will probably order one of the double elevator kits next week. I have one of the Blue Angles "Rob Field" pilots, he and I went to the same University in New York, his job ended up much more exciting than mine.

Missed you in Phoenix last week, maybe next year. Hopefully I will have the Reaction ARF finished by then, as usual, other things came up and I was not able to start yet.

Regards,

Paul Stenberg

David Gladwin 02-27-2010 08:14 AM

I had four more great flights with mine today. NOTHING comes close to this jet for close-in, slow, flying and aerobatics, its a real FUN machine.

I am using it as test bed for the large Weatronics 2. 4 Dual Receiver, perfect.

Comment from my colleagues was that, yes, its not the most handsome machine on the ground but sure looks good in the air !

With the large tank, after a 15 minute flight over one third of the fuel was unused, (PST 1300, another flawless performer.)

Regards,

David Gladwin.

PS Forgot to mention. Since the Weatronics receiver has 3 gyros I activated one on the rudder, fairly low authority, seems to smooth the machine out and I do like the way it 'locks in" on releasing aileron control. I'll activate the aileron gyro next to see the result.

paulsf86 02-27-2010 03:36 PM

Tim:

Gary Layos has one for sale. Not sure of the price or configuration. He lives in Wyoming but is in Arizona at this time. Will be at the Tucson jet rally next weekend. Not sure if you guys could work something out. Gary's email is [email protected].

Another source might be Dave Rigotti back in Ohio. Dave is the king of Reactions having build a smaller and larger version with Bruce's permission. Dave goes by RCGuy on RCU and you could get his email there.

Good luck, I have an ARF going together now. Looks like a great airplane. I know they fly well.

Regards,

Paul Stenberg

Max1965 03-06-2010 01:19 PM

I haven't read the whole thread so bear with me.

Is the Reaction offered in an E-powered version. I read somewhere that a Reaction could take e-power but the intakes look too small to me. I can't really tell how an EDF fan would fit and take in air....any help in this question would be appreciated and I will read the thread with inrerest.....thanks.

B777 03-07-2010 09:12 AM

I honestly don't know about their construction details and how the skin hinges are made. They look to have little black fibers running perpendicular to the hinge line - I figured those were little reinforcements/ripstops. We need some input from PST here...
Live hinge or skin hinge are made from special material. It is not just a mere crossed layered glass cloth. The material has very high strength in the pull and flapping movement which is very ideal for the applications. The hinging surfaces are joined with this material which is then layered over with glass cloth. Due to the in-mold paint application, its normal to see paint crack on the hinge line top surface after repetitive surfaces movement. This is just the top paint layer and does not affect the hinging material or strength. DO NOT attempt to rub the cracked paint off. High probability that incorrect technique will damage the hinging material. [8D]

Jeremy_D 03-14-2010 01:31 AM

I finally test flew mine today. It seems like a lifetime ago that I bought it but it finally got airborne and what a hoot!!. The P80se really pushes it along nicely. As David has said it really has some good slow flight handling characterisitcs and it also has a good turn of speed. I'm looking forward to many more flights with it!!

rcguy! 03-14-2010 03:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeremy_D

I finally test flew mine today. It seems like a lifetime ago that I bought it but it finally got airborne and what a hoot!!. The P80se really pushes it along nicely. As David has said it really has some good slow flight handling characterisitcs and it also has a good turn of speed. I'm looking forward to many more flights with it!!
Jeremy,
Congrats on the maiden! Enjoy the great handling and many happy landings!

Dave Rigotti

RCISFUN 03-14-2010 09:23 AM

Hey Dave how's it going?
I picked-up a a Scratch and DENT Reaction X at FL Jets, I hope to be able to start work on it soon, the only thing I need is a new canopy (clear section), the rest is just fiberglass and paint work;)

rcguy! 03-14-2010 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Hey Dave how's it going?
I picked-up a a Scratch and DENT Reaction X at FL Jets, I hope to be able to start work on it soon, the only thing I need is a new canopy (clear section), the rest is just fiberglass and paint work;)

Rich,
Goin' good! You'll like the new ride! Getting close to touching up the Monokote on the "R44" and "Over Reaction".

Won't be long now!

Dave Rigotti

paulsf86 03-16-2010 04:49 PM

Dave:

Missed you in Phoenix this year. Weather was excellent and lots of flying. CA jets is next week, are you up for that one? Hope all is well.

Paul S

rcguy! 03-16-2010 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: paulsf86

Dave:

Missed you in Phoenix this year. Weather was excellent and lots of flying. CA jets is next week, are you up for that one? Hope all is well.

Paul S
PM sent my friend!

David Gladwin 03-16-2010 11:56 PM

Just got back from a cruise around SE Asia including, by chance, a night stop in Bangkok at the very time PST was moving into their new factory.

Saw the Revision, new long nose Reaction, the T37 and Panther as well as a couple of helis, all looked very good. Kero start engines are on the way. Everything, including CNC machinery will be "in house"at the new factory.

Pictures of the PST team and the new factory will be in next RCJI.

It is great to see the PST team going from strength to strength and I am sure every Reaction and PST product owner, will join me in wishing PST every success in the future !

Regards, David Gladwin.