RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7158450-reaction-arf-pst-bte-all-composite-sport-jet.html)

ricardinho 04-19-2012 05:03 PM

RE: Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

hello guys i am looking into a reaction x(long nose) for short field flying...how do you suppose a new jetcat p 100 would do in this plane.. very light setup and no smoke...also i plan on using the dreamworks gear.. is there any mods for the gear compared to the short nose or is it just drop in....thanks ...pat

BruceTharpe 04-19-2012 09:16 PM

Might be a nice combination, depending on how you like to fly. A turbine with 22 lbs of thrust on a 25lb plane (ballpark, dry) won't give you vertical out-of-sight performance. But it will still blast around and fly through big, beautiful jet-style aerobatics. Great for short field!

Here are pics of my Pro-Links installation (Dreamworks gear). Very minor mods required.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1063081...ksInstallation

ricardinho 04-20-2012 01:31 AM

thanks bruce.. another question.. is there a package i can get with reaction x dreamworks gear with all electronic valves and kevlar tank?? also whats a good servo you guys are using on this plane... thanks pat

Meesh 04-20-2012 03:11 AM

I have a P-80SE in mine and it flies fine off of grass. Also have the Dreamworks gear. Had to drill two extra holes in the mounting flanges on the nose gear and had to extend the relief notches (towards the rear of the plane) in the nose gear mounting beams for the steering tiller clearance. The notches are already there but I had to make them about 1/4" longer.

BruceTharpe 04-20-2012 06:42 AM

ORIGINAL: ricardinho

thanks bruce.. another question.. is there a package i can get with reaction x dreamworks gear with all electronic valves and kevlar tank?? also whats a good servo you guys are using on this plane... thanks pat
Will send PM on package deal (plane + gear). Sorry, don't know of any kevlar tank made specifically for the Reaction ARF. The glass tanks that come with the ARF are pretty tough - have not heard of any ruptures. Recommended servo list here:

http://www.btemodels.com/Downloads/servochart2010.pdf

ricardinho 04-20-2012 06:51 AM

sorry bruce meant to say for the upgraded 3.8 liter fuel tank....thanks

ricardinho 04-20-2012 06:52 AM

thanks ... i think i may go with a 140rx now that i think about it..price is not much more ...unlimited verticle:D

ricardinho 04-21-2012 01:33 PM

hello bruce thanks for all the info.. i think i will go with the jr 8411s all the away around.. are they aa good fit..? also could you give me an ideal of what size metal servo arms to get.. i like swbs ...thanks...pat

ricardinho 04-23-2012 04:39 PM

just pulled the trigger on a white and orange reaction x......will be powered with the new jetcat 140rx...duralite batterys and powerbox..jr8711s all around...this is going to make a great short fielder...i figured i go with larger motor for the smaller fields...i have flown many reaction but never owned one...cool plane...

BruceTharpe 04-23-2012 07:50 PM

Since you mentioned servo arms, not sure what to recommend as far as SWB. I used the metal arms that came with my Hitec digitals. All pushrods connect to the first or second hole from the end, which is a length of 3/4" or 5/8" from the axis

ricardinho 04-24-2012 02:10 AM

i got all 1" swb and full arm for steering...i think that will be fine...thanks again bruce

steve2972 05-01-2012 10:26 PM

I`m just finishing my ReactionX,(P100,Electron Electric Retracts/Pro-link gear).This is my second jet but the first that I have built.Just wondered how you go about checking the CG as its too large/heavy to flip over and use your fingers[:-]?Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Edgar Perez 05-02-2012 03:52 AM

ORIGINAL: steve2972

I`m just finishing my ReactionX,(P100,Electron Electric Retracts/Pro-link gear).This is my second jet but the first that I have built.Just wondered how you go about checking the CG as its too large/heavy to flip over and use your fingers[:-]?Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
I sometime use an inverted chair. Put some foam on the two higher legs and they act as your finger.

Otherwise, do a search here for the options were you hang the plane by the target CG.

steve2972 05-02-2012 03:59 AM

I`ve done a search but cannot find anything

thanks

Meesh 05-02-2012 05:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This should help you!

steve2972 05-02-2012 05:36 AM

Looks great meesh,but I don`t really want to start constructing things.Hows everyone else balancing their Reactions?

Cheers

cjshaker 05-02-2012 01:42 PM

I've got the giant scale EZ balancer from Southwest Systems. Works great on my giant scale airplanes, and worked on my Reaction 54

http://www.ezbalancer.com/

Chris Shaker

ORIGINAL: steve2972

Looks great meesh,but I don`t really want to start constructing things.Hows everyone else balancing their Reactions?

Cheers

steve2972 05-02-2012 09:18 PM

Thanks for the link Chris,this may be a solution.Did you balance your reaction inverted or upright?

Cheers

BruceTharpe 05-02-2012 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For the record, I think Edgar's idea of an inverted chair is brilliant!

I built the stand in the pic for my jets. Low-wing jets like the Reaction balance easier upside-down. Position the balancer so the fin won't touch the table. Plywood pads (foreground) are taped to the wing surface at the balance point to protect the wing from dents. The plane balances on the upper edge of the short dowels in the center of each upright. The little foam pads keep the jet from rocking too far.

steve2972 05-02-2012 10:19 PM

Thanks Bruce

David Gladwin 05-05-2012 03:54 AM

Do it the very easy way. :

Easy and accurate C of G calculation:

Place model nose against wall, measure the distance of each wheel axle, main and nose, to wall. (you can use any other datum point you wish but a wall is often convenient) Place scales under each main wheel and pack up nose so that the machine is level, note weight.

Then measure weight on nosewheel.

Multiply TOTAL weight on main wheels by distance from wall= Moment A.
Multiply weight on nose gear times distance from wall= Moment B.

Add A + B to obtain total moments.

Divide value of A+B by TOTAL weight and that will give you exact distance of C of G from wall, i.e. nose, or other chosen datum.

To adjust, I tape a paper cup to nose or tail and add fishing weights to get C of G exactly correct.

Easy , quick accurate and free, can easily be done by one person, and prevents hernias. Works on A380s too, !

David.

steve2972 05-05-2012 08:56 PM

Hi David,
So do you need to place scales under nose leg also,ie use 3 x scales otherwise how do you measure the nose weight? I only have 1 x scales and these were £120.00 (digital upto 40kg) What scales would/do you use? Thanks for the info.

Kind Regards

Steve

cassiemitch 05-24-2012 04:41 AM

I need some help with some photos of extra air intakes fitted behind the cockpit for a large sized turbine .If some photos could be posted that could help me out , Thanks</p>

Meesh 05-24-2012 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope you can see this OK.

It's a NACA duct on the top of the Fuselage.

Not my plane but my my buddy Mike's.

cassiemitch 05-24-2012 02:28 PM

any chance of a close up photo , thanks