RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7158450-reaction-arf-pst-bte-all-composite-sport-jet.html)

Square Nozzle 06-16-2013 05:30 PM

RE: Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

I had the same question regarding securing the heat shield. I called Bruce Tharpe and he told me he doesn't use the heat shield. All he uses is a start tube as a precaution against a flaming wet start. I used the start tube I built for my Reaction 54 and it worked fine. After I was confident in my engine starts, I don't even use the tube. That area never gets close to hot enough to damage the stab and under fuse area. Several flight without the heat shield and not a hint of heat damage. Do not omit the shield over the engine.

BruceTharpe 06-16-2013 09:03 PM

Thanks John, you're right, I consider the long, skinny heat shield for the tail boom to be unnecessary. However, I do recommend using a start tube for every single start, even if you have complete confidence in your turbine. You never know when something might not go just right.

Square Nozzle 06-17-2013 09:41 AM

You're right Bruce. That little round, hot thing in the fuselage will likely jump up and smack you when you least expect it.

2FAS 06-18-2013 04:26 AM

Update on my USAF Thunderbird scheme Reaction X. I have received the custom Reaction graphics package from Callie Graphics and an all white Reaction X is on order. Still trying to decide on the best landing package that can handle those imperfect landings to come.

2FAS<br type="_moz" />

Bryan McLarty 06-18-2013 04:39 AM

I went with the pneumatic ProLink deluxe package offered by Dreamworks. It comes with electronic valves and the gear are really nice. A little expensive, but probably the best setup available for one of the most critical systems of the aircraft.

I did have to drill a couple of holes in the nose gear mounting flange to mount on the stock rail position. Not a big deal.

2FAS 06-18-2013 04:46 AM

Bryan, I'm leaning toward that choice. I hate to drill in the nose mounting flange but I guess that's the only option. I have Prolinks on my Tornado and I have bent and replaced the brass T-bar on the nose wheel air cylinder three times from rough landings. However I'm sure the Reaction retracts are a lot stronger.

2FAS<br type="_moz" />

paulhat 06-19-2013 05:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Bryan McLarty

I went with the pneumatic ProLink deluxe package offered by Dreamworks. It comes with electronic valves and the gear are really nice. A little expensive, but probably the best setup available for one of the most critical systems of the aircraft.

I did have to drill a couple of holes in the nose gear mounting flange to mount on the stock rail position. Not a big deal.
Electron retracts with ProLink struts.
I would never go back to pneumatic after using the electric retracts.

Paul.

number27 06-19-2013 11:24 AM

same here i have the er40's and are a great fit. with steering option.

The only weak link is the prolink oleo's.

although others don't have the same problems apparently that i have encountered. But I refer to the following link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11536076/tm.htm

for others having similar if not same problems with them.

nothing is perfect but we do pay good money for items in our models and one would expect items to at least last 6 months.

paulhat 06-19-2013 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: number27

same here i have the er40's and are a great fit. with steering option.

The only weak link is the prolink oleo's.

although others don't have the same problems apparently that i have encountered. But I refer to the following link

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11536076/tm.htm

for others having similar if not same problems with them.

nothing is perfect but we do pay good money for items in our models and one would expect items to at least last 6 months.
Hi number27,

I haven't experienced sagging issues (with my springs that is :) ) but I have had problems with the c clips coming off and the screws winding themselves out . I have tried a few different things but cant stop it happening. Am going to send them to a friend to modify.

Paul.

number27 06-19-2013 09:25 PM

why do we have to modfy products that we pay good money for that are supposed to do the job.

2FAS 06-20-2013 04:01 AM

Has anyone found the need to re-enforce the landing gear mounting rails with tri-stock or any other method? I want to make sure I beef it up during the build to prevent damage later.

2FAS<br type="_moz" />

number27 06-20-2013 04:08 AM

I only beefed up the nosegear area. doubled the firewall on the rear one in nose gear area and also placed angle aluminum on either side of ply bearers on nose gear. wing area is fine.

2FAS 06-20-2013 04:11 AM

Thanks Number27, I also want the wing mounting area to be bullet proof.

2FAS<br type="_moz" />

number27 10-09-2013 12:59 AM

Pink Panther Reaction

3 Attachment(s)
My refurbished PST Reaction after a fatal incident last Xmas. Ready to maiden on the weekend.

Jetcat RX140

BruceTharpe 10-09-2013 07:42 AM

Wow! I like that!

sandyjain 10-09-2013 08:39 AM

You will enjoy the reaction with the 140 - I fly mine with a 160 and its fun.....!!

DENTO 10-09-2013 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by number27 (Post 11634488)
My refurbished PST Reaction after a fatal incident last Xmas. Ready to maiden on the weekend.

Jetcat RX140

On smoko brake!!

gmccluskey 02-23-2014 07:25 AM

ProLink Gear

For those who used ProLink gear, what hole did you use on the nose wheel steering tiller?

Bryan McLarty 02-23-2014 08:21 AM

Hi, G!
I'm setting up my servo throws and all that right now. I have mine set in the outer control arm holes. Will be testing soon. Have you run In to a problem with it?

Speaking of the nose gear retract, did you have to make some new holes in the mounting flange to mount it? I found the aft holes weren't going to work.

gmccluskey 02-23-2014 11:01 AM

Bryan,

No, I haven't run into any issues...just wondering what worked out best for others.

Yes, I did drill two additional holes 1-3/8" back from the front ones.

George

BruceTharpe 02-24-2014 08:06 AM

George, I installed Pro-Links in one Reaction ARF about four years ago. Took a bunch of pics, some may help you or others:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10630...689?banner=pwa

Unfortunately, I don't see a pic showing the cables hooked to the nosewheel. You probably want to choose the set of holes that most closely match the hole spacing at the other end (servo arm). If the hole spacings differ greatly, you can get a one-taught/one-slack condition in the cables.

Bryan McLarty 02-24-2014 08:16 AM

Bruce:
I see on your website that you are no longer a distributor for PST jets. Just curious as to why.
BTW, I am almost through with my build and I am so impressed with the quality of everything with this ARF. From the finish, to the accuracy of parts fit, to the detail and quality of the hardware; I'm very happy! I was blown away by the little extra touches like the pre-cut pushrods with clevises installed and everything labeled!

BruceTharpe 02-24-2014 08:39 AM

I stopped being a PST dealer mainly because it was no longer fun (for a variety of reasons) or profitable (one of the reasons it wasn't fun). I still think the Reaction ARF is an excellent product!

paulhat 04-12-2014 06:12 PM

Still loving the reaction..
Here is a short video I took this morning. Not the best quality but hey..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrs5...ature=youtu.be

Paul.

cassiemitch 04-14-2014 10:07 PM

yes er 40 retracts are the way to go .
Not a lover of prolink legs .