RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Boomerang Sprint Build Thread! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7704490-boomerang-sprint-build-thread.html)

DamBo 06-08-2009 03:34 PM

RE: Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

I have tried to but so far I have been unable to fly and take pictures at the same timehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/71_71.gif

Thanks Doc

I am still trying to iron out a few issuseon the Sprint with Alan, but we are getting there.

It flys very well, I just need some stick time to find the envelope edges.

Good luck with yours

Doc... 06-08-2009 10:24 PM

Hi,

It looks to melike you didn't read the basic requirements sectionfor obtaining aTurbine waver. Section 12, parg 16 clearly states "before saidPilot is signed offon his or her solo, said Pilot MUST be able to sucessfully complete the solo flight ONLY after taking at least 15 pictures during said flight". I know, I missed that part as wellhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/punching.gif and if you believe all that, I have some swamp land for sale in Bangladesh at a really great price. Just giving you a rash. Hope to see some pictures some day. What ever issues you have, Alan will be a great help. Talk to you soon,

Doc...http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

DamBo 06-14-2009 06:19 AM

Okay,Okay I'll start over againhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...spinnyeyes.gif

I got 3 flights on it yesterday. It is a very stable, smooth flying aircraft.
Still doing a little tweeking with the mixes andI am working on how slow the slow flying speedis.

So far it has been a blast to fly.

Doc... 06-14-2009 07:18 AM

Hi,

It is a blast.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif Very stable. Keep up the good work. I got 3 flights in yesterday myself in zero wind. Flaps were at about 60% and once I knew i had the runway made, i pulled the stick all the way back instead of leaving it at about a quarter and she floated to a smooth landing. I do have a video of it but not sure I will post it.

Doc...

DamBo 06-14-2009 07:19 PM

Question...

How much spoileron can you have before they spoil flight http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ngue_smile.gif

I have about 3/16" up right now and I do not notice a big differance with air brake on or off.

Doc... 06-14-2009 09:32 PM

Hi,

To be honest, I have no idea.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/confused.gif Sorry,

Doc...

BaldEagel 06-15-2009 12:05 AM

Dambo

I am sorry I don't have a Sprint, but on my Elan I have just over 3/4" of reflex to act as spoilerons with 90 deg of flap, aileron reflex only comes in after 45 deg of flap, the thing with reflexed ailerons is to haveenough to provide the sink rate you require, its very subjective to where and how you fly, if you need a very short approuch you will need a lot of spoiler to increase the rate of sink, you need to ballance all of this with still having aileron control and sufficient elevator to round out, the easiest way to experiment with this is to have the spoileron control on a side slider so you can proportionally raise the spoilerons to get the effect you require, then once the amount of spoileron is established transfer control to a switch if you wish.

Mike

DamBo 06-15-2009 06:22 AM

BaldEagel

Thanks for the information. I have even tried full flaps yet, maybe 40 degrees.

I have anal glacoma today and it is going to to be an excellent day for flying.

So I think I'll try somemore airbrake and see what happens.

phjoker 06-24-2009 08:13 PM

Well it's been a Long time for me but I finally got to maiden the Sprint today.... The Falcon took it off the the thick SOD
grass with authority no flaps at all. A couple of clicks of down and one click of right aileron and straight and level she went..
made a couple of passes and some did some rolls and brought it in, no flaps on the landing either she slowed right up with no problems.
I have a little air leak some where in the gear line that I have to find now. The Gear was holding air for a couple of days until today... go figure.
Had a total of 3 great flights today.. Can't wait for the weekend.I should have some pictures by the end of the weekend for yas.

Doc... 06-24-2009 10:34 PM

Hi Pete,

Good job on the maiden. Congrats. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Doc...

phjoker 06-27-2009 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had 5 GREAT flights today.
I love this plane.. I got the flaps dialed in.... now landings are nice slow and smooth here are just a couple of the shots that some one took today.
they also got a vidio that I am trying to get.

BaldEagel 06-28-2009 04:08 AM

What sort of servo's do you have on that take off dolly. LOL

Mike

iiievolution 06-29-2009 05:47 PM

Excellent dolly. I bet that would go fast if you fired up your turbine :D Congratulations on your sprint flights. Enjoy

Paul

phjoker 06-29-2009 08:38 PM

It comes in handy at the end of the day when I don't feel like making a couple of trips to load up
the trailer.

hpais 06-29-2009 10:27 PM

I'm in the process of putting mine together.:D

It arrived safely after spending the last three months in Customs[:@]

So I have a couple of questions to you guys - which I haven't seen answered in the site.

- Do you glue the booms to the central area? If not how do you keep them from rotating or tearing apart the elevator?

- Does anyone completely disassemble the Sprint? I mean, the wings and the booms and elevators?

I'm putting a P80 on mine, so it seems 4 degrees of down thrust as recommended in one of the posts - I read this thread like 5 times in the past 3 months while waiting for the Customs clearing :)

The one comment I make is that the hardware included is not up to the quality level I expected. My also Chinese-built Radar models Super Sporster 46 had much better hardware and it cost less than $150.

I'm replacing all command rods with 4-40 threaded rods from DuBro, all clevis and Z-bends with metal heavy duty clevis from DuBro as well.
And finally I'm replacing all surface horns with DuBro heavy duty horns.

If I had the time and wanted to wait another 3 weeks, I would order the titanium ends/carbon fiber rods/precision horns from Central Hobbies like they use on pattern airplanes.

I think the quality of the Sprint deserves better hardware.

As far as the Oracover, I spent a few (well, more like a lot) of minutes with the hot iron and managed to get it very nicely finished, eliminated all wrinkles.

Also another thing is that I like to protect the balsa with some sort of sealant, just in case of a fuel leak. So I'm painting the plane with Polyurethane Primer and then a Polyurethane White finish. HOWEVER, I can't get the interior of the central wing protected. And any leak will go straight into there... Any thoughts?

Thanks guys, this thread is wonderful.

Hermann

cpierre82 06-29-2009 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Help!
This is my first turbine. As you can see in the picture what happens. I had a small flame come out the turbine. Is there any way to prevent this from happening again. I hope to get it fixed ASAP because, I will attempt to get my waiver tomorrow.
The turbine Im using is a Modellbau T-750 Turbine.

Charles

BaldEagel 06-30-2009 04:26 AM

On the first short start of the day I don't have the tail on, that gets rid of any excess fuel in the turbine and any flame has nothing to burn, all sorts of other ideas, like using a piece of airconditioning duct to deflect any flame away from the tail etc:

Mike

DamBo 06-30-2009 05:38 AM

I am no expert as this is my first turbine and boomerang but I will give you my thoughts.

The center wing has three holes in it. One large one for the wing spar and two smaller ones for the wing( boom) rods.

These aluminium rods are either, depending on when it was purchased.

a: screwed into the outer wing.
b: pushed into the outer wing and a pinch bolt holds them in place.

Then the tail boom is slid onto them.

This assembley is then slid into the center wing and a pinch bolt is screwed against the rod. This holds the wing and boom on.

Yes, I have to remove the elvator,wings,booms, spar and retract the gear every trip out and back.

On the down thrust. I do not know. I put a Rabbit on mine, balanced it and only had a couple of clicks of elevator.

Good Luck
I hope this helps

It is a blast to fly.:D

ricardinho 06-30-2009 05:57 AM

this happens. i used the 3m metal tape which i covered the area that is gets the most heat on the tail. also be advised to check the servo tray for the elevator. the plastic is fragil where it attaches to the servo. mine was distorted from the heat and broke so i added a new one and covered it in the metal tape also. take out the four screws and check the servo. remember this plane has one servo on the elevator so is very important to keep it in top notch condition. i will try to take a picture to show how i fixed the problem from heat....

chcarlos 06-30-2009 08:33 AM

I epoxied the booms to the central area. Fortunately I have a large enough vehicle and storage area at home that I can get around with just removing the outer wings. Set up time at the field is minimal.

Agree about the hardware and changed mine to a setup similar to yours and it works well.

I used BVM Heat Shield in the engine compartment and always start the engine with the hatch off just in case. I've seen what a hot start can do to fiberglass and I don't want to see my Sprint go up in flames.

It's a fun plane with a P-60 and I bet the added speed and verticle of a P-80 will make it a blast to fly. Enjoy and good luck.

Warwick Laken 06-30-2009 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As a fan of boomerangs and having the bottom of my horizontal stabiliser melted I bent some alluminium which I now use on my Sprints. It saves the tailplane during the odd wet start.

ricardinho 06-30-2009 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres how i fixed the problem. there is a glare but the servo try is covered also. i used a hot iron to smooth it out neatly after applied.. this the area of the stab where the most heat was noticed.

ETRURIA 07-01-2009 09:16 AM

Greetings:Need measurements on the Sprint Special fuel tank., High point , low point , width and length.Regards.

phjoker 07-01-2009 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: ETRURIA

Greetings:Need measurements on the Sprint Special fuel tank., High point , low point , width and length.Regards.
Rough measurements are:
4 1/2" wide
10 1/2 " long
6 1/4" high at the front
5 1/4" high at the back

cpierre82 07-01-2009 06:30 PM

Thanks for all the advise. I did what ricardinho suggested and it worked fine. Also I had the maiden flight on Tuesday afternoon. I have my turbine waiver now. The plane flew great. I had to put in a few clicks of down elevator. Cant wait to fly it again.

Hope to have pictures soon.
:D