RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Boomerang Sprint Build Thread! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7704490-boomerang-sprint-build-thread.html)

BaldEagel 05-21-2016 03:09 AM

Hence my post, its just like banging your head. LOL

I also have not been on for a while.

Kind Regards to you.
Mike

Vettster 05-21-2016 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying (Post 12216057)
I keep hearing about putting a few washers under the front motor mount to get some down thrust. How many washers is a few for the people who have these?

You want to add a 1mm thick washer. Thats all it needs. If you like.. you can leave the engine alone and add a 1 or 2 mm washer to the front of the Horizontal stab. Thats what I did. Flew perfect!

Desertlakesflying 05-28-2016 05:58 PM

I think my Sprint got sent to me from Target or Walmart....
Hardly anything fits right, none of the hinges were cut properly, the elevator was warped, there is all different sizes of hardware. All the pushrods were all thread..so I had to use my own 4-40 rods...seriously all thread for a jet? The bolts for the wing are not 3mm like the instructions said and as of yet have been unable to find the size they actually are, they look stripped from the start, the gear blocks split like cheap 2x4's, the center wing and flap had a poor fit so the flap was trying to stick, the booms and wings need a press to put on and a puller to take off, poor workmanship and quality all around. Feel like I completely wasted my money. This one is just going to sit in the closet with my old one until I can get the funds together to buy something else. Disappointment after disappointment is all this has been, so I am done with it now. I expected a lot more from the latest version that literally just came off the boat. I can't trust it to fly with my one and only turbine I have.
So back to the edf foamy for now.

mr_matt 05-28-2016 06:15 PM

BVM Bobcat a nice alternative (if you can get them to answer the phone)

Vettster 05-29-2016 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying (Post 12218922)
I think my Sprint got sent to me from Target or Walmart....
Hardly anything fits right, none of the hinges were cut properly, the elevator was warped, there is all different sizes of hardware. All the pushrods were all thread..so I had to use my own 4-40 rods...seriously all thread for a jet? The bolts for the wing are not 3mm like the instructions said and as of yet have been unable to find the size they actually are, they look stripped from the start, the gear blocks split like cheap 2x4's, the center wing and flap had a poor fit so the flap was trying to stick, the booms and wings need a press to put on and a puller to take off, poor workmanship and quality all around. Feel like I completely wasted my money. This one is just going to sit in the closet with my old one until I can get the funds together to buy something else. Disappointment after disappointment is all this has been, so I am done with it now. I expected a lot more from the latest version that literally just came off the boat. I can't trust it to fly with my one and only turbine I have.
So back to the edf foamy for now.

And what did the sales rep say.. You did contact them correct?

Desertlakesflying 05-29-2016 10:42 AM

I will be contacting Larry on Tuesday by phone.. Already sent him an email.

BVM is $800 for the plane and tack on another $800 for the BVM brand stickers. I think the 86" Pilot Dolphin will be next with a K-140.

But hey after 20 minutes at the hardware store with the wing I found out what tap to get to tap the aluminum in the wing for the wing bolts after spending time trying to find a bolt to fit until we used a magnifying glass to see that the holes were not tapped.

Desertlakesflying 06-04-2016 07:38 PM

Well Contacted Larry. Went a few rounds. Nothing being done about it. It's a week later.... So no more Boomerang jets ever, and not recommended to anyone.

stegl 06-05-2016 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying (Post 12221427)
Well Contacted Larry. Went a few rounds. Nothing being done about it. It's a week later.... So no more Boomerang jets ever, and not recommended to anyone.

anyone else have pros and cons with the new line of Boomerang Sprints or Elans ?
Thanks

Desertlakesflying 06-05-2016 03:50 PM

i think mine might have just been a lemon, but the lack of Larry to do anything is a problem. I'd take the Elan over the Sprint though just for space alone.

ira d 06-05-2016 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying (Post 12221663)
i think mine might have just been a lemon, but the lack of Larry to do anything is a problem. I'd take the Elan over the Sprint though just for space alone.

I would be interested to hear Larry's reasons for not wanting to help.

stegl 06-05-2016 04:16 PM

agreed , the Elan is a much more aggressive looking aircraft.... have been looking for the past year and almost impossible to get a used Elan airframe.. The guys just won't sell. These are al the first versions that came out before Larry R. took on the task. Either the profit is thin or he doesn't want to start any trend with dissatisfaction on some parts but then the previous owners bent over backward to make people happy.
I don't know how your conversation transpired and what was said or discussed but if the kit was that bad then a possible exchange could have happened. This would only work if it was say 1 or 2% were bad.

Desertlakesflying 06-07-2016 03:28 PM

He wants to me remove everything I spent days on, box it and send it back for just another Sprint, that could have nothing but the same problems. If he would have responded before I had it ready to fly it would have been something to consider. I gave up when my calls were sent to voicemail after 2 rings. I offered to just split the difference of the cost of the plane minus shipping, which shipping alone was $175.00, so it would have been $450 refund on the $899 price tag since what i got was what i would expect for a Nitroplanes plane and all would be well and the customer would be happy. But hey at least the covering was nice right....It looks great sitting in my shed until I can afford a different plane to put my gear in. Would sell the whole thing Ready To Fly for $3500 packed, shipped, and insured with a really strong P-120 propane with 12 hours since maintenance, and about $800 worth of brand new parts in a fresh of the boat red, white, and blue Sprint that needed 3 days worth of work before any gear could go in.

If you still want to chance Boomerang I'd go with the Elan still.

stegl 06-07-2016 04:06 PM

Little contradictory ; like if the arf was so bad to build but was actually finished indicates to me that issues were not insurmountable. Would have been nice to see some of the issues with pictures for readers to actually see and make their own judgement. When it comes to hardware I usually use my own by choice.
Another question were the landing gear blocks solid wood or plywood ?

Desertlakesflying 06-07-2016 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Contradictory? The problems that were not "insurmountable", should NOT have been problems with this ARF at all, like the warped elevator, none of the bolt holes were tapped, and most of the hinge slots weren't cut, and the wings are still insanely tight due to poor craftsmanship when installing the tubes for the wing tube and guide rods. Had they been "insurmountable" I would have been happy to send the thing back since it would have never been completed by the time Larry got around to returning my calls, emails, Facebook messages, and texts. The landing gear blocks were that brown wood, whatever that is, that you find on really cheap Chinese ARFs. I like to use my own hardware at times as well, but the hardware provided was not even proper for this plane in the slightest had I wanted to use it. The point is that I should NOT have had to do as much as it took to get what is supposed to be a quality ARF to the point where it was even something resembling flyable. Here's a picture of the warped elevator, mind you this is after working it to even be this close to right, it was nearly 1/4 inch off out of the box, since you seem to have it in your mind that I am somehow the problem. I like to "kit bash" as much as the next guy, but some things shouldn't require that.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2166818

Vettster 08-07-2016 07:01 AM

Guys...If your in Canada.. Im looking to purchase a used Sprint jet. I dont want to deal with the nightmare of buying from the USA.

Im willing to trade my Xcalibur

Pls check out my add..http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...itemID=1080892

4ptroll 08-29-2016 09:51 AM

Hello Desert Lakes Flying,
As I stated to you in prior emails I am sorry that you received a Boomerang Kit that did not meet your expectations. In your email to me you stated how unhappy with the kit you were and that it was not airworthy in your opinion.

I offered to send you a new kit and you could send the old kit back to me. I did not want a Boomerang in circulation that was not airworthy and I wanted to see first hand the quality issues you spoke of. You declined that offer stating that you had already installed your components. I also offered you a full refund which you did not accept.

Shortly after our emails to one and other you placed the Sprint on RCU for sale stating that it was too big for you to handle. If the airframe is not airworthy why would you pass it on to another fellow flyer? You have my phone number and we have played phone tag a couple of times. But incase you need it again my cell phone is (781) 254-6351. You may call me to discuss this matter at anytime. I do my best to return all calls.

I will not get into a lengthy rebuttal here on this or any other forum. I will just say that I have, and always will, bend over backwards to satisfy any Boomerang Customer. If you want to return the kit to me just let me know. My offer still stands.

I have sold of 30 sprint kits in the 10 months or so that I've operated Boomerang RC Jets. Aside from a couple of very minor issues the quality has been very good overall.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kindly,

Larry Roper

dah1202 08-29-2016 02:39 PM

I realize this is a Sprint Build thread, but there have been inquiries and comments about Elans along the way so I want to add my comments here...

Earlier this summer, I completed my new Elan. This is from Larry Roper's Boomerang business. I am pleased with how it went together and how well it flies. (I truly enjoy flying this plane.)

During my build last winter, I wanted additional components and accessories from Larry. He was helpful and shipped anything I needed promptly and as described.

I give the kit high marks and I think Larry does a stellar job.

As I drove home from flying my Elan this past Saturday (08/27/16), I was thinking about being fortunate that Larry picked up this line and made it possible for me to have my Elan.

If I had it to do over again, I would pick the same airplane - hands down.

blainer48 08-29-2016 04:02 PM

I just ordered a new sprint that Larry just shipped today. He has been great to talk to and like the guy before me, I'm very glad he took over boomerang and kept it going. Look very forward to getting my Sprint Friday and will post how it arrives.

Jason

blainer48 08-29-2016 04:55 PM

Thanks for getting it out so quick Larry. Can't wait to see the new military scheme.

Jason

Vettster 09-04-2016 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by blainer48 (Post 12252300)
Thanks for getting it out so quick Larry. Can't wait to see the new military scheme.

Jason

Do Tell!!! When will this be out

TPerk 09-12-2016 07:39 AM

Hi Guys I am looking in to the Sprint boomerang and using a King Tech K100G2 turbine. May I ask, does the center section of the wing get glued to the fuselage or can it be removed for transporting to the field?
Thanks
Tperk

Vendata 09-21-2016 08:59 PM

Hi Guys,
Can any body tell me if the Boomerang Sprint Canopy will fit onto the Baby Boomerang I have got a dirty big crack in mind & i want to replace it. 0r perhaps one of you guys have got a spare one they want to sell.
Thanks
Dave.

Vendata 09-25-2016 01:26 PM

Hey Guys,
It seems No ones knows if the Sprint canopy will fit onto a Baby Boomerang? Just wondering if some body out there that has had a baby Boomerang & might still have a canopy for this jet might want to part with it.
Thanks
Dave.

BaldEagel 09-25-2016 01:30 PM

Just go into a model shop and see what they have available that may be close, my Sprint has the canopy off a Graupner 2.5M Composite extra, experiment to see what you can find.

Mike

Vendata 09-25-2016 02:06 PM

Hello Mike,
Been to the hobby shop here, but as always they have got nothing? Not best of modelling stuff here this is why we get 99% of our gear from the USA or China. I have contacted Larry who now has taken over the Boomerang side of things I asked him if the Sprint canopy would fit a Baby Boomerang but as He has not long taken the Boomerang busness over he didn't know if these canopys are interchangeable. I ordered one off him any way so cant do much until I receive it I will reply to this thread once I receive the item.
Thanks
Dave
New Zealand.