RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   TBM Shock Jet (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7769759-tbm-shock-jet.html)

gruntled 09-08-2010 07:56 PM

RE: TBM Shock Jet

1 Attachment(s)
I just want to confirm a couple things before I do more cutting. I removed the one horizontal former to get the Jettech tank in.

1) Should I cut the other horizontal former as well (red arrow in photo) in order to slide the tank farther forward? Do I want the tank as far forward as possible?

2) Once I join the fuselage halves, I do not see any way to remove the tank later if it needs any sort of service. Is that correct?

Steve

gjhinshaw 09-08-2010 08:18 PM

Yes, Take That out. Also where the 2 v's are... Cut them so they are ALL straight across.

gruntled 09-08-2010 09:04 PM

I thought so, but I wanted to be certain. It is a lot harder to put it back than to take it out. :)

hippo-1216 09-09-2010 06:20 AM

gjhinshaw Did you cut down the mount on your falcon to get it to fit . Could you post some more pics of your install thanks

gjhinshaw 09-09-2010 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It Is very easy to install. I have cut out the whole bottom now. I moved JUST THE FRONT Blind nuts to the back! If you are installing the Jet-Tec Tank. You remove the UPER cross brace. You will also make the v line where the 2 haves meet. You can SLIDE the tank in, Yes,,, It takes a little effort but it will go! BUT..... YOU HAVE TO INSTALL TAKE BEFORE INSTALLING TURBINE!!!!

julian46 09-10-2010 08:53 PM

new SJ build going well - surfaces and wing to do - rest is done

(Robart hinges on flaps - CAon rest)

Are Festo Ball Valves directional?

gjhinshaw 09-10-2010 11:13 PM

NOPE..... The only one the is Directional is the one used for Propane. You need to post pictures, PLEASE!!! THANKS!!!!

julian46 09-11-2010 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
heres a low quality build pic from last night (Isent my wife whos away for a few weeks - just as well - lol)

will post better quality inside shots later today

(notice the size comparison with P50 Heli in background)

kb8ife 09-11-2010 06:00 AM

You will like your shockjet I have 36 flights on mine now with a jet central super bee great combo, keep watch on the silver tape on the bottom I have put more on mine after about 20 flights or so. it also dead sticks great.
jim
I also fly the same heli as you

jblloyd 09-11-2010 08:02 AM

Do you deadstick withor without flaps?

Kometfreak 09-11-2010 09:25 AM

I keep the nose down for speed to make the final and then drop flaps on short final for slowdown. Without power and full flaps it will slow quickly.

kb8ife 09-11-2010 09:31 AM

I have done it with them off if you are coming up short and with them on if you are going long,, if you put them on with no power put the nose down just a little you will be happy this thing glides very easy I have never had a hard landing. If you are looking short don't put them on this thing will make the field. Glide is longer with them off.
thx jim

julian46 09-11-2010 07:40 PM

Anyone have an easy way to set the ride height on the included free nose-gear? (before Ifile the vshaped groove in the uprights to support the front wheel shaft) - Iguess its the measurement Im what Im trying to picture. - (figured this out - pls ignore)

Im using 4inch tires on the rear (solid axle) and three inch on the nose

Also - do you use the brass colar midway between the two supports to stop the main upright shaft from going too far up into the nose? (and the steering arm on top)
- also done - ignore

Ran it up this afternoon - started fine but bubbles exiting fuel pump (and entering motor)

Removed all tygon between pump and UAT- replaced with clear 6mm festo - problem solved

Mounting wing, tail and maiden flight next weekend - fun, wow

gruntled 09-15-2010 09:15 PM

When setting up the Jettech tank which is long and narrow, where do i want the clunk to be front-to-back-wise? Middle of the tank or back of the tank or ?

gjhinshaw 09-15-2010 10:05 PM

1/2 inch from back.

gruntled 09-16-2010 06:10 AM

Thanks Gerry.

julian46 09-16-2010 06:30 AM

In case anyone interested in a ShockJet hasnt seen Gerry flying one in this video - check it out: <font><font style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt;">http://vimeo.com/5349459
- it starts with a TBM DV8R(which looks like a good second plane after the SJ) - the SJstarts flying about 3:20 (if you want to skip ahead)
- short 25ft takeoff - amazing - and some neat freestyle stuff after

</font></font>

julian46 09-18-2010 08:20 PM

greetings - my Orange ShockJet with Kingtech K-80E is having its maiden flight Sunday (tomorrow) - about 11am EST - will get pics (and video)at the field - and post a flight report

wish me Luck

Julian

smitty1001 09-18-2010 09:00 PM

whew! I was scared at 4:46! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

kb8ife 09-18-2010 09:38 PM

Jets are very cool and Gary will get better with time went long on landing and was on the edge with the shock jet,,,, Just me
thx jim

jblloyd 09-20-2010 11:10 AM

I've got 6 flights on my ShockJet now and couldn't be happier with the plane. Being my first turbine, I was a little apprehensive aboutmoving up toa jet but the ShockJet makes that a moot point. Other than being aware of throttle lag and higher air speed, it flys pretty much like any other rc sport plane. As soon as I can get my waiver and get off the buddy box I am looking forward to having some real fun.

I noticed that TBM has added a note to the ShockJet page suggesting that 70% expo be added to all control surfaces. Does anyone really fly this plane with that much expo? I started with 30% and have since reduced to 10% because the ShockJet seems to respond better at that level. Also, what are you guys using for throws on the elevator and ailerons? Since there were no suggestions in the manual, I just eye-ball them initially and got it pretty close.

julian46 09-20-2010 12:07 PM

Disaster - just crashed - SJ airframe destroyed - K80 mostly unharmed - (no fire) - I loved my plane - had 3 fantastic flights with it - will post a better report later - of how fun it was to fly. (once my head clears)

JR 9303-DSM2 - Heli radio - glitch - went full right aleron right in front of me (about 50 ft away) - saved it - then it did it again all the way into the ground. I went up to the plane (after the crash)- and checked all the servos - all fine - all receivers still bound with solid yellow light - *** - unbelievable...

**theres a thread on unexplained JR radio problems - guess Ill be posting there) - can anyone recommend a good Futaba 9CHradio? - I was running a JR 922 receiver with 2 new lipos - full charged and 3 sattelite receivers attached to main power module

w4sm 09-20-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: julian46

Disaster - just crashed - SJ airframe destroyed - K80 mostly unharmed - (no fire) - I loved my plane - had 3 fantastic flights with it - will post a better report later - of how fun it was to fly. (once my head clears)

JR 9303-DSM2 - Heli radio - glitch - went full right aleron right in front of me (about 50 ft away) - saved it - then it did it again all the way into the ground. I went up to the plane (after the crash) - and checked all the servos - all fine - all receivers still bound with solid yellow light - *** - unbelievable...

** theres a thread on unexplained JR radio problems - guess Ill be posting there) - can anyone recommend a good Futaba 9CH radio? - I was running a JR 922 receiver with 2 new lipos - full charged and 3 sattelite receivers attached to main power module

Sure sorry about your loss!

I SERIOUSLY doubt that this is an Rx/Tx problem, though. If the Rx went into a hold the servos would have stayed at neutral (failsafe) position. A hold should not give full aileron unless you bound the Rx in that configuration, which I doubt! It seems MUCH more likely that you had an intermittent problem with the aileron servo or the cable between the Rx and the servo. Noise from the ECU getting into this cable is also a possibility. I've got 1000's of flights on DSM2 systems without any problems and the Futaba FASST systems are excellent too. I wouldn't hesitate to fly with either. My only point is that I wouldn't be too quick to blame the RF link (whether you have DSM2 or FASST), given what you described.

gruntled 09-20-2010 12:53 PM

Might want to check the hinges too if the wing is still intact.</p>

john4648 09-20-2010 01:23 PM

Sorry to have your loss (or any loss)! Was this a "proven" system, had it been flown before? The RX would go into failsafe only if it loss signal from the TX. Then you would expect the surfaces to go to their failsafe positions. If the RX fails then you might expect anything to happen.
We take these systems for granted anymore. Years ago we would put a "new" radio system into an old airframe and fly it for a few flights. Hopefully this would reveal any intermittents before the system was put into an airframe of worth. Perhaps we should reconsider some of these old methods?
John