RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   TBM Shock Jet (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7769759-tbm-shock-jet.html)

Tip22v 09-27-2011 04:39 AM

RE: TBM Shock Jet

Excellent. I will Check the list for any local guys. Thanks.

Tom

jblloyd 09-27-2011 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Tip22v

The biggest concern I have is getting the wing due to the problems that have been reported.

I wouldn't worry too much about the reported wing problems. Make sure you follow the instructions on the recommended modifications included in the manual. If you put it into perspective, there have probably been 100s of these planes sold and only a very few wing problems reported. I have been flying mine for 6 months without any kind of problem. Just remember, it's not an F-16, it's a trainer- avoid high speed, high stress manuvers and you will be OK.

BILLYDSRC 09-27-2011 08:55 PM

Well we got the maiden in today! The jet flys like a kittycat!! here is the video. Thank you all for the help Billy D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KxUjm7bXoM&feature=channel_video_titl e[/youtube]

gjhinshaw 09-30-2011 08:17 PM

THATS GREAT!!!!

OK.. ALL, I just got one of the New Color Schemes. It is the the Silver and Red. Very NICE!! After looking at it and going threw it..... NOTHING is different!! I was upset that TBM did NOT pay the extra 2 bucks to have them pre-hinged!! So, Yes..... YOU have to do it! I don't understand why they don't have it done??? Does anyone??? The first ones I got were.. So what happened?? I will start the build this weekend, so I will keep you all up to date....

rcguy59 09-30-2011 08:25 PM

When I hinge a model myself, I KNOW it's done right.

hooker53 10-01-2011 05:15 AM

"A lot of guys up here bad-mouth ShokJets because they're ugly. I like to remind them that while they may be a bit homely, They're GREAT in bed! Let us know when you're ready to start your build (assembly). Mike"

Thats just plain funny right there. Ha. :D

gruntled 10-01-2011 06:08 AM

I would rather they spent $10 more for the non-folding wing with a spar that wasn't butt-jointed. :(

gjhinshaw 10-01-2011 06:12 PM

LOL....ROF! I will start on it asap! I am going threw it to see if there is anything else..... Now..... I really like the new scheme I got! Its the Red, Silver on.... REALLY NICE!!!! I will post pictures.

gruntled 10-29-2011 06:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am selling the landing gear and wheel / brake set from my Shokjet. This should be pretty much plug-n-play for anyone who wants to have brakes on their main gear. Just run airline down the gear legs and plug onto the nipples on the brakes. I already have airline holders going down each leg to keep it all tidy. These are 3" airpower wheels and disc brakes. They have very good holding / braking power. $100 shipped to you. PM if interested. I think I have some extra airline I can throw in if you need it.<div>
</div>

gruntled 10-30-2011 05:44 AM

Thanks guys. The gear have been sold.

rcguy59 11-06-2011 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's something to try. I love my SJ's but never did care for the poor roll-rate. Since the airplane is grossly over-flapped, I decided to lose some of the flap, clip the wings and boost the roll-rate. The landing speed is 5 or so mph faster, but the roll-rate is close to triple what it was before! It whips around like a 3D bird now. I was grinning like a lunatic! The wing is 16" shorter now. I stripped all the covering, cut 8" (2 ribs) off of each tip, then glued the wings together and glassed the center section. The ailerons are stock length, the 8" being removed from the flaps only. If you plan it ahead, you can get the ply hardpoints for the control horns to line up with the existing servo pockets. Here are some pics.

hooker53 11-06-2011 06:17 PM

Good lick Guy. Get us some Vids of how it does. I'v thought about doing this to mine and wondered how it would fly after the Mods.

rcguy59 11-06-2011 06:35 PM

Wish I could have gotten some video, but our video guy wasn't there today. Seemed faster on the top end, too but it always did haul ***** with the Rabbit. Throughout the entire flight, it didn't feel any different except for the roll-rate. Just a bit faster touchdown. Highly recommend this mod once you get used to the airplane.

Tip22v 11-06-2011 09:33 PM

I was there and saw it fly today, the roll rate was unreal!

rcguy59 11-06-2011 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another pic showing a stock wing and the clipped wing.

Tip22v 11-06-2011 09:43 PM

I got my maiden flight in today. Everything went well, my buddy working the video camera accidentally hit the stop button on camera so we did not get any video of me doing the maiden take off or landing. The link to this video: http://youtu.be/J3wt4SWv51E is of the second flight. As you can see in the video it did not want to slow down mainly because I did not have enough throw in the flaps, I tried a couple of the approaches and finally Mike had to take it and land it as we were getting low on fuel. All in all it was a grand day! I just have to make some adjustments to the flaps and then it should slow down more for landing. My Kingtech K80F was flawless, started every time and ran great.

rcguy59 11-06-2011 10:23 PM

Tip22v is far too modest. He did GREAT. I was playing instructor and didn't do much other than talk to him. I held that switch through the whole maiden. He's a natural. 5 or 6 more flights to get comfortable and he'll be ready for the Waiver test. Well done, Tom!

hooker53 11-07-2011 05:15 PM

Tip. congrats and Welcome to the elite "Shock Jet" group. Ha. Have many more great flights.

Tip22v 11-07-2011 05:51 PM

Thanks guys. I can't wait to get back out there, this jet stuff is just down right cool!

toprudder 12-05-2011 08:38 AM

Just thought I would join the thread. I have a couple dozen flights on my Shockjet, my first turbine. It was setup by Hooker53 (Thanks, Roy).

Flying with a Jet Central Falcon in it. Vertical is no problem!! Flight time is the only downside, I get maybe 5 minutes. I also have to manage the throttle so I won't rip the wings off.

I mixed flaps into elevator so the pitch change is minimized, and also have some rudder>elev and rudder>aileron mixing so I get good slow rolls and point rolls.

Looking forward to putting a lot more flights on it.

gjhinshaw 12-05-2011 10:31 AM

LOL...ROF.... you won't rip the wings off!! I have the same engine on mine and have it cranked to 22 pounds!! It will only go so fast! I can't get over 151mph. So open it UP!!!!
Gerry

toprudder 12-05-2011 10:55 AM

I'm sure if I fly it WOT and pull full up elevator that I could rip the wings off. Most of my time is spent at less than 2/3 throttle, I only open it up for vertical, or for a high-speed run. I do that mainly for run-time, though, as I only have a 64oz tank.

One thing I have noticed is that with full flaps and the nose down for any length of time, I end up with a lot of air in the UAT. (Maybe 1/2 oz worth). I figure with low main tank and full flaps that the clunk is sucking air sometimes (all the fuel at the front of the tank).

I've also done some flat spins - and I mean REALLY flat - but it takes a lot of altitude to stop rotation. Looks neat, though. It snaps good to the left also.

Having fun.

rcguy59 12-05-2011 11:47 AM

Try TBM's 101 oz. tank. I have a Rabbit in mine and I've gotten 12+ minutes out of it and still landed with a full UAT. With the clipped wings and lighter weight of the Rabbit, I eat Falcons for breakfast.

toprudder 12-05-2011 11:56 AM

Can I get that tank into the airframe after it has been assembled?

rcguy59 12-05-2011 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes. It takes a bit of minor surgery to the equipment tray in the aft part of the nose and you may have to unbolt the turbine to slide it back out of the way while you stuff the tank in. Once the tank is in, the turbine goes back to its original location. Here are some pics of the installation. It's tight, but it works. The clunk line is quite long, so a piece of copper tube to make the aft portion of it rigid will keep it from getting stuck in the front of the tank.