RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Extending thermocouple wire ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/7951875-extending-thermocouple-wire.html)

Ed 09-13-2008 10:28 PM

Extending thermocouple wire ?

I am going to need to extend the thermocouple wire between my turbine, and ECU by about 8 - 10 inches. The wire appears to be solid, and shielded. So do I just splice to them using solid, or twisted wire, and then must I shield them ?

Thanks for your help gyz.

... zak

fw190pilot 09-13-2008 10:31 PM

RE: Extending thermocouple wire ?

How does it connect to the ECU? If it is a servo style connector just use a regular servo extension.

Ed 09-13-2008 11:07 PM

Yeah, is that good enough, the 8 - 10 additional inches don't need to be shielded ?

... zak

George 09-13-2008 11:12 PM

Zak, that's all you need, just a regular extension.

George

Darryl Usher 09-14-2008 10:39 AM

You would do better with thermocouple extension wire from instrument shop.
Darryl

Ian Shaw 09-14-2008 01:55 PM

Not sure what engine you are refering to but typicaly K type thermocouples are used with turbines. K types use a cable called (compensating cable) which basically means the conductors are made of the same elements as the thermocouple itself. Because of this I would recomend using the same cable.

paulandrews 01-24-2018 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ed (Post 7951875)
I am going to need to extend the thermocouple wire between my turbine, and ECU by about 8 - 10 inches. The wire appears to be solid, and shielded. So do I just splice to them using solid, or twisted wire, and then must I shield them ?

Thanks for your help gyz.

... zak

If anyone is still having issues with this, Pyrosales can certainly help you out.
Temperature is one of the most important units of measurement that industries monitor. It is extremely imperative that temperature be as accurate as possible. If it is not managed correctly it can result in poorer quality items.

paulandrews 01-24-2018 03:32 PM

If anyone is still having issues with this, Pyrosales can certainly help you out.
Temperature is one of the most important units of measurement that industries monitor. It is extremely imperative that temperature be as accurate as possible. If it is not managed correctly it can result in poorer quality items.

LGM Graphix 01-24-2018 04:48 PM

hahaha, revive a 10 year old thread to come in and spam the site? At least introduce yourself and let people know what it is you offer if nothing else.............

ravill 01-24-2018 05:04 PM

Yeah, man don't mess with the thermocouple.

CARS II 01-24-2018 09:12 PM

Yep! That thermo can sure couple you really bad if you don't keep an eye on it day and night.

sailing1 01-25-2018 06:16 AM

Why not just skip all the mystery and ask your Turbine manufacturer?

causeitflies 01-25-2018 09:45 AM

I've been using regular servo extensions for the thermo couple with no problems for longer than this thread has been around. :rolleyes:

ChuckC 01-25-2018 11:09 AM

Pfsssshhh! Nothing wrong with the length of my thermo-couple. Works just fine; keeps me happy. Just, don't get to use it very often these days...sigh.

But, isn't it just a voltage sent through a wire, then across the metal which varies in resistance according to temperature? So, as long as you don't have a significant voltage drop (read good sized braided wire), you should be able to extend quite a ways before impact on the ECU, which could/should calibrate the signal anyways and adapt within a certain parameter.

causeitflies 01-25-2018 11:20 AM

Ah man, I was hoping Pyrosales was selling fireworks :mad:

hotspot 01 01-25-2018 01:02 PM

Have you an extension in the past no issues.

causeitflies 01-25-2018 02:13 PM

Have had extensions in planes for twelve years.