RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Boomerang Nano!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/8194753-boomerang-nano.html)

ndforspd 01-15-2009 07:42 AM

RE: Boomerang Nano!!!

john, my intro flyes well with my t-500 , have 70 oz dreamworks tank,and dreamworks retracts and trailing link struts. but intro is getting tired .countless flights.I hope to take my equipment from is and put it in nano. hope tank and retracts work. is there any specs on it yet.how many min of flight do you get with your wren. I get 6 min on t-50 with about 1 min in resurve. I have 3 flying buddys that have all purchased the xl, 2 are putting p120 in and 1 is putting p-160 in . cant wait to see xl fly with that combo. george

john agnew 01-15-2009 10:19 AM

George

I get around 8 minutes on a 1 litre tank with the Wren 44.

John

rcdriver22 01-25-2009 09:39 AM

Alan

Still waiting for news on the first delivery into the UK, hope I am near the top of the order list[8D]. Any details on prices as the UK Pound does a nose dive currently.

Anybody buying in $ from the UK (apart from paying no VAT thats local tax) you just got about 30% discount across the board on UK made goods. Last year one pound got $2.10 now its $1.37

Paul

digitech 01-26-2009 02:22 AM

ORIGINAL: rcdriver22

Alan

Still waiting for news on the first delivery into the UK, hope I am near the top of the order list[8D]. Any details on prices as the UK Pound does a nose dive currently.

Anybody buying in $ from the UK (apart from paying no VAT thats local tax) you just got about 30% discount across the board on UK made goods. Last year one pound got $2.10 now its $1.37

Paul

yes great and how does alan pay them in china?[:-]

john agnew 01-26-2009 06:17 AM

Sandor

I would think that Alan has to pay in US$ for goods made in China. The £ is seriously bad news at the moment, buying jet goods from $ or Euro sources is very painful for anyone in the UK. To give you an example the Merlin 90 was introduced last year at 1999 Euros which was £1,400 at that time, it is now almost £2,000. I hope Alan can keep the Nano at a reasonable price in the UK.

John

Turbinac 01-26-2009 07:06 AM

Yes, I pay China in US Dollars and it's very painful right now! Into the bargain the Chinese government has introduced legislation regarding wages and prices, causing a big increase in all manufacturing prices. Quite right from the point of view of the workers there, but adding big costs to all of us who buy there.

Anyone in Europe buying any model goods direct from the UK gets a great price right now too. The Euro has also got stronger against the pound.

I have to apologise to all who are waiting for the Nano. Right now there is a hold up on production due to some re-design. As you know I will not produce a model unless I am happy with all it's flying habits. I was not completely happy with the last prototype, so changed some points. With the Chinese New Year closing the factory for virtually a month(!), this means a considerable delay. I will not predict a delivery date until Ali & I have flown the modified prototype.

ndforspd 01-26-2009 07:42 AM

alan, will the nano have a thick air foil like the intro or a thin air foil like the xl. cant wait for the nano my intro has more miles than the space shuttel on it. george

john agnew 01-26-2009 07:43 AM

Alan

Maybe the £ will have recovered by the time the Nano is ready![&o]

Regards

John

Turbinac 01-27-2009 05:53 AM

Reply to ndforspd.

I won't discuss the details of the design until it is finalised. I am in the process of trying a new wing and when we've tried and tested it thoroughly I think it will turn out even better (hopefully not worse) than the original.

Any design can be made to fly, but "how well?" is the question.

All my Boomerang jets are aimed to fly well, both at high (easy)and particularly at low (not so easy!) speeds. As they get smaller, it gets harder to achieve this, jets in particular because they carry a big payload in the turbine, retracts, fuel load etc. The wing design is critical. No computer is involved in my original design idea, just 60 years of model flying. I am a lifelong aeromodeller, but I am not an aerodynamicist, so I just have to keep modifying until I am happy that it flies right. That's why it sometimes takes me so long to produce a new design. It's also why, at the end of the process, they are so easy to fly!

Shouldn't be too long now till the Nano is ready, but not just yet for a while. It's almost there.

J.F 02-26-2009 01:24 PM

Any further info on release dates ?

MicroDat 02-27-2009 03:13 AM

Any update? My friend would like the purchase one.

H.Dale 02-28-2009 02:20 PM

I am currently flying a Boomerang Sprint with a 14lb. Wren 54. It is a great flying plane but I think it would be better suited to a 17lb Supersport since it is a fairly large jet.

I wonder if the Nano would be a better fit for that size motor?

littlepiston 03-07-2009 06:32 PM

is it out yet?

J.F 03-14-2009 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: J.F

Any further info on release dates ?

rcdriver22 04-14-2009 03:38 AM

Update

Just had a word from Alan to say he has been flying the new redesigned slightly larger Nano with the MW44 turbine today and it is all he hoped it would be. Amazing flight envelope all round! Now going to test it with the P60 later this week, which I know will be just as successful. He can't wait to get it into production and is off to China on 25th to finalise details and get them started on the run.

Looks very promising.

Paul

Turbinac 04-17-2009 02:30 PM

FINALLY the Nano flies as it should. This is actually the "Mark 3" or even "Mark 4" version!! I have redesigned it top to bottom and front to back and the end result is a great flying new Boomerang small jet. Ali flew one of the prototypes for the first time at Abingdon today and "the master" was delighted and satisfied that the new Nano is the bees knees! It was using a Wren MW44 and we'll try it with the MW54 or the P60 in it next week or so.

Photos will follow when I have one in the full colour scheme. Prototypes are just plain white.

I have given China the go ahead and I will be over there next week to finalise a couple of small details in the kit. The jigs are being made right now.

They have said the first batch of kits will be ready late May and so should be shipped, (if all goes to plan), from the factory in early June to arrive in July.

tralalala 04-17-2009 02:49 PM

Looking forward to seeing this. Pity it ended up so large though... I thought the Sprint was for the MW54, P60's

JustABigKid 04-17-2009 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: tralalala

Looking forward to seeing this. Pity it ended up so large though... I thought the Sprint was for the MW54, P60's
[sm=50_50.gif] I was just thinking that an MW-54 at 14 lbs thrust would be perfect for a 12lb dry aircraft...

Bravo Alan! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Turbinac 04-17-2009 03:02 PM

Well, think about it, this means Boomerangs are now available for 44 to 60 size turbines, (Nano) 60 to 80 (Sprint) 70 to 80 (Elan) and 80 to 120 (XL).

The Nano IS designed for the MW44 but will take the P60 size turbines too. There are many of both these turbine sizes around waiting for a truly aerobatic and "easy to fly from a club field" jet.

Try as I might, I could not get the reliable performance flying characteristics I wanted from a tiny model. And, believe me, I tried! They all turned out to be little hot rods great at high speeds, but with poor low speed flight. If that is what you want, they're are many other kits out there, but they don't fly like a Boomerang jet. This one does.

tralalala 04-17-2009 03:03 PM

Not so Nano anymore that's all. A little digression from the original design intent, i.e. MW44.

tralalala 04-17-2009 03:04 PM

Well noted Alan. I still look forward to it.

rcguy! 04-17-2009 04:17 PM

As a reference to this, my R44+ with a MW44 Gold has 1,000 square inches of wing and ALL who have flown it remark it is a perfect size. The Gold is putting out near if not at 11 pounds of thrust and flies it very well. The first version at 750 square inches was a bit small and wasn't smooth to fly. "Bigger is better!"

Kudos to Alan for not letting the Nano go until right! History tell us it will be worth the wait.

Dave

Turbinac 04-17-2009 05:25 PM

Hi Dave,
The area of the new Nano turns out to be just under 900 sq.ins.

After the first test flight I felt that the little MW44 was not quite pulling as it should, and it turned out on checking with the GCU after landing that it was running at only 174,000 RPM, well below the proper 195,000 it should have been putting out.

I re-set the ECU to my TX and it was back to full power, but I realised that the thrust during that first flight must have been around only 6 or 7lbs, maybe less. It flew well despite this, and so I know that even the older MW44's will take it up no problem and with a later "44 Gold" it will be really sharp. (Mine is an early Gold with 10 lbs thrust at 195,000.)

Glide is superb deadstick if you have a flameout, and "power on" landing speed seems like about 15 to 20 MPH and rock solid on the approach, with no sign of a wing dropping out and snap rolling in.

rcguy! 04-17-2009 06:44 PM

Alan,
You KNOW someone will install a SS54 eh? You really can't beat the MW44 for quality, thrust, and economy! 35 hours on mine and still going strong on everything original except the glow plug.
Keep up the great work!

Regards,
Dave

siclick33 04-18-2009 04:41 AM

Why did it end up being so big? It's not very 'nano' at 65 inch wingspan.[sm=confused.gif]