RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Boomerang Nano!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/8194753-boomerang-nano.html)

Turbinac 04-18-2009 04:47 AM

RE: Boomerang Nano!!!

siclick33..............See post No.44! Says it all.

bigplumbs 04-18-2009 04:00 PM

When might we see some pics of the Nano................. and any idea of the price in the UK

Turbinac 04-20-2009 04:33 AM

Pics will be posted as soon as I have one in the final colours. Prototypes are in plain colour. There were a few cameras clicking away shots of Nano at Abingdon last week, so maybe one of those will appear.

I was flying it again on Sunday, piling on the flights, and it is so easy and genuinely stress free, such a pleasure to fly.

As for price, I don't yet know what China are going to price it at. All in good time.

Ali 04-20-2009 04:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I didnt know if you wanted to show it off in the less than final colours. But here it is. The best Nano to date by far.
I am not a small jet fan, but this is about as good as it gets for an everyday sport jet that can be flown by pretty much anyone with low wing model experience.
Regards Al
Now lets do a Maxi Boomer just to keep me happy!

Jamie C 04-20-2009 09:07 AM

I saw this fly at the last classic jets, it certainly looks as if this model will not disappoint!

av8rk 04-20-2009 09:38 AM

Alan,

Can you give us any details about the recommended retracts, struts, wheels and brakes for the Nano?.....Will the Spring-Air HD units you offered with the Intro be acceptable for the Nano?.....

Richard

Selleri 04-20-2009 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Ali

I didnt know if you wanted to show it off in the less than final colours. But here it is. The best Nano to date by far.
I am not a small jet fan, but this is about as good as it gets for an everyday sport jet that can be flown by pretty much anyone with low wing model experience.
Regards Al
Now lets do a Maxi Boomer just to keep me happy!

Nice looking minimalistic scheme... wonder if I should redress mine :D

bigplumbs 04-20-2009 03:23 PM

I have got 2 44 golds and wanted a home for one of them that will be a nice easy flying jet for that stress free day. Also want to build one with very cheap/ordinary gear to see how she goes on a simple set up.

Still I can wait to see her in the various colours.

Would be nice to see it priced to compete with the Falcon 120

Dennis

Selleri 04-20-2009 07:17 PM

Just guesstimating from looking at the current price range... :D

$599-649 Nano
$795 Sprint
$1295 Elan
$1449 XL2

£349-399 Nano
£549 Sprint
£769 Elan
£967 XL2

littlepiston 04-20-2009 09:25 PM

i think that if the price in the range or 300 to 450 would be better.

ira d 04-20-2009 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: littlepiston

Yes it would but I bet it comes in closer to the 599 mark.

bigplumbs 04-21-2009 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: littlepiston

Hey you chaps need to use either a £ or a $ sign when you quote prices.......... There is a world beyond the US you know :D

Dennis

bigplumbs 04-21-2009 01:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Selleri

Just guesstimating from looking at the current price range... :D

$599-649 Nano
$795 Sprint
$1295 Elan
$1449 XL2

£349-399 Nano
£549 Sprint
£769 Elan
£967 XL2
You can buy a Falcon 120 for £155 at the moment. I cant believe it will be this price but it ought to be reasonably close for sales to take off. Team up with Wren and get the price down so that they sell a load of 44 golds along with this plane......

Dennis

Bryce Watson 04-21-2009 02:56 AM

Selleri 04-21-2009 08:38 AM

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

You can buy a Falcon 120 for £155 at the moment. I cant believe it will be this price but it ought to be reasonably close for sales to take off. Team up with Wren and get the price down so that they sell a load of 44 golds along with this plane......

Dennis
Who knows maybe it'll be priced so good you'll have to buy two! ;)

bigplumbs 04-21-2009 11:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Selleri

ORIGINAL: bigplumbs

Dennis
Who knows maybe it'll be priced so good you'll have to buy two! ;)
Would be nice !

Turbinac 04-21-2009 02:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Replying to those who question the Nano's new size, here's a couple of pictures of it in the boot (trunk) of my two seater car. Small space but still room for the fuel, start up gas, TX, tools etc. without using inside of the car. It takes 8 minutes to assemble ready to fill and fly!
Still in prototype colours. It'll look good in the full scheme, see earlier posts on this thread.

siclick33 04-21-2009 03:14 PM

Alan,

My personal opinion is that, as a 'Nano', it is too big. I understand that you have tried to retain the awesome trademark Boomerang flying characteristics but the final design has a wingspan only 9 inches smaller than the Intro. The Sprint was a bit bigger than the Intro and the now the Nano is a bit smaller. Flying characteristics of the small model was never going to be as good as the bigger ones and I would have liked to see a little sacrifice here to retain the small model concept that I believe it started as.

I am sure it will fly will on a Wren Gold/Wren 54 size engine but so did the Intro. Aside from power the other benefits of a small model are that it is easy to store and transport. I would have liked to be able to put it in the car fully assembled but I think this would be tight at 65 inch wingspan.

The other thing I was looking for was that it would go well with the older Wrens. IMO this looks too big to be flown with authority on the older 7lb Wrens. Sure, it will fly but it won't be sparkling.

I have been waiting to see what this came out like for a while but I am going to have to pass this time. To me, this is more of a 54 sized model and is certainly not Nano[&o]

Turbinac 04-21-2009 03:27 PM

That's where we part company. Flight characteristics are paramount to me. That over rules any other consideration of size.

To get what I wanted, it was necessary, in my opinion, to increase the span and length.

siclick33 04-21-2009 03:35 PM

I have 2 questions to ask then;

Firstly, why did you embark on a Nano project in the first place if flying characteristics had to be as good as the Intro?

and secondly,

With all the R&D done on the Intro, could you not have reintroduced that again at a bargain price rather than spending loads of time and effort in R&D ending up with something that is almost the same size?

What is the airframe weight difference between the Intro and the Nano?

I am not criticising your decision to do what you have, just forwarding my opinion that I personally had wished it had come out smaller.

G-ROOKIE 04-22-2009 01:58 AM

Siclick33, it sounds like you need to upgrade your turbine unless you scratch build your own model. Not trying to start anything but the Nano is for more than just a 7lb turbine. That is why Wren had to update to keep up with the market. :):)

Thanks

highhorse 04-22-2009 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: siclick33

I have 2 questions to ask then;

Firstly, why did you embark on a Nano project in the first place if flying characteristics had to be as good as the Intro?

and secondly,

With all the R&D done on the Intro, could you not have reintroduced that again at a bargain price rather than spending loads of time and effort in R&D ending up with something that is almost the same size?

What is the airframe weight difference between the Intro and the Nano?

I am not criticising your decision to do what you have, just forwarding my opinion that I personally had wished it had come out smaller.

It seems obvious to me that:

1) A Boomer MUST fly like a Boomer because that characteristic is the basis for the entire brand. If you are willing to own something that flies otherwise, then there are already other airplanes on the market that will fit in the trunk of your car AND look more like a "jet". Alan is clearly staying true to his customer base !!

2) His goal was to create a BOOMER (in all respects) specifically for the 44, and a that smaller airframe than the one finally settled upon could not be made to fly "right" was NOT a forgone conclusion, as you suggest. He shot for something smaller, and it didn't work. Rather than dump an airplane onto the market that was not up to his flying standards, though, he spent a lot of time and money to revise the product again (and agin, and again) until he had the smallest unit available that was still lightly loaded enough to fly like a BOOMER should. Consider that the heaviest components (engine + fuel load, retracts, servos and batteries) are CONSTANTS rather than variables in the design and I'm amazed that this airplane wound up as small and light as it did !!

Again, there are ALREADY airframes available for the 44 that will fit in the trunk fully assembled and look better than any twin boom design ever could but they are not going to fly like Boomers.

siclick33 04-22-2009 09:24 AM

It was not my intention to get drawn into an argument so I am going to back out and let the thread return to more positive musings about the Nano. It seems by the couple of positive postings that I may be alone in my thoughts that it is too big. It would not be the first time that my opinion has been different from the majority and maybe Alan has got it right. I honestly hope so and wish him the best with the rest of the production and release.

john agnew 04-22-2009 09:49 AM

Darren

I can understand where you are coming from on this one. The Nano does seem to be larger than originally anticipated but I can understand why Alan does not wish to restrict his market to 7lb original Wren 44's.Based on my experience the Nano will still fly perfectly well on the basic 44 as I had a Jetco of similiar size and weight which flew really well on the old 44 as did my Foxcub. It will also be able to accommodate Jetcat P60 of which there are a large number particularily in the US and will obviously be even better with a Wren 44 Gold.

I will hold off on my purchase decision until I see the price of the Nano. In today's marketplace I hope we are going to see a price of under £400 for this all wood model. After all Alan is obviously not down to his last few pennies as he was kind enough to pose the Nano in the boot of his shiny new Mercedes 320 SLK.:)

John

Duncan 04-22-2009 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here a few more Nano pics from Abingdon. It did look smaller when put side by side with my intro and it certainly looks a bit more funky than the intro. The shape of the wing reminded me of a reaction 54.

notice the brake on the nose wheel to make it legal for the US