RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Boomerang Nano!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/8194753-boomerang-nano.html)

Dave Wilshere 12-24-2011 12:13 AM

RE: Boomerang Nano!!!

Kevin

If you fit brakes find a light set, the electric retracts don't want loading up too much right on the end of the leg/leverage. Guess its tyre weight more than wheel that can be an issue. BVM light?
Could you brake nose wheel only and meet the rule?

Dave

bigplumbs 12-24-2011 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Jprice57

Could anyone out there that has flown the Nano and Sprint give some feedback on the flight differences. Coming from Giant Scale planes there is a big difference in size 30-35% and 35-40% and there flying qualities. My options will be Nano and Wren 44 and Sprint and a K80.

I have flown both the NANO and the Intro (Very close to a sprint) asnd I prefer the Nano. She is more solid in the air and I think tracks better. If you go with the Nno you cant fit any bigger than a P60 in physical size. I actually think she fly best on a Wren 44 gold. Either way both are very good jets

hooker53 12-24-2011 05:17 AM

ORIGINAL: kev-o

Just fitting eflite retracts to the nano,thanks Dave anybody fit brakes to them here in Canada we gotta have Em. I'm tryin to keep it simple and light.

Kevin
Hey Kev. Got any pics of your install????

Jprice57 12-24-2011 05:37 AM

How would a VT 80 fit in a Nano? I see on the Boomerang website it is suitable for the Nano with the thrust turned down... I just like the size of the Nano at the moment but want a turbine with a little more use down the road...

hooker53 12-24-2011 06:09 AM

You might could make it physically fit but you would have to put more Wt in the nose. With a Wren 44 gold you have to add about 4 oz. Give or take some.

Veritech 12-24-2011 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Jprice57

How would a VT 80 fit in a Nano? I see on the Boomerang website it is suitable for the Nano with the thrust turned down... I just like the size of the Nano at the moment but want a turbine with a little more use down the road...

Jprice,
If the VT 80 is the same as the Jet Central Rabbit (I think it is) then yes it will fit. Look back starting at post 1279, I put a Rabbit in mine and it fit without to much trouble, just needed to grind down the mounting rails just a little. Took me about 10 minutes with a dremmel and sanding bit.

However, I recomment that you do turn it down, 20# of thrust is way too much for the Nano and the booms will eventually start working loose on the anti-rotation pins if you start pulling serious G's with the motor turned up. I got the Rabbit for the same reason you are looking at the VT 80, it can be used in a lot more airframes down the road.

That being said the Nano is a awesome jet and pretty strong too (just not designed for 20#'s of push), I like it better then the baby and seems a little crisper in the air.

There are pics of it in the Winimac thread that was posted here a few days ago here...It's the silver and orange one with lights on it starting on page 3 I think.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10861064

-Randy

kev-o 12-24-2011 10:08 AM

ya a nose brake would meet the guidelines just not sure how id fit it there either its tight up there

merry xmas all u nano owners

BaldEagel 12-24-2011 10:10 AM

I recommend you don't turn it down, just use a bit of discretion when getting near full throttle, reasoning is you will have the power available for take off which can be very short with that amount of power, also means you can use fields that others can't and you will have unlimited vertical without overstressing the airframe in the uplines.

If you have problems controlling the urge to use full throttle all the time then don't take any notice of me and turn it down.

Mike

InboundLZ 02-14-2012 02:19 PM

So, won me a Nano at DJS...

The plan is to set her up with fixed gear, mechanical break on the nose, evoJet 90 for power as I have one laying around, lighting all around, and as much fuel as I can carry. I intend it to be a nearly dark, end of the day, still wanna have fun, low stress, fun to fly little jet that is easy to fly and have fun with.

I will post pics as I move throught but I intend to have this one with me at KYJ this summer!

kev-o 02-14-2012 06:55 PM

Yupp that's what I'm doin accept I put in elite retracts thanks Dave for the install help. Ain't sorted a brake system yet though
It should be a blast when it's done though I have a pst 600r goin in her

BaldEagel 02-15-2012 03:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I would show my Sprint with Landing lights and navigation lights to show some alternative positioning, may give some ideas.

Mike

LittleBob 02-15-2012 03:18 AM

Mike

Where did you purchase those landing lights from

Bob</p>

BaldEagel 02-15-2012 03:28 AM

Dreamworks, a Pal of mine in the US bought them for me and sent them over, they are very bright, I mean dazlingly so.

To avoid any confustion the tip covers I made from some acetate sheet, heated and bent over the tip prior to cutting out for the light.

Mike

hooker53 02-15-2012 02:10 PM

Has anyone documented the Eflite retract install??? Photo's,

kev-o 02-15-2012 02:57 PM

I'll email what dave sent me it works great shoot me an email [email protected] it's a PDF file.

hooker53 02-15-2012 03:49 PM

Thanks Kev. E-Mail sent.

Kenrico 02-15-2012 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Dreamworks, a Pal of mine in the US bought them for me and sent them over, they are very bright, I mean dazlingly so.

To avoid any confustion the tip covers I made from some acetate sheet, heated and bent over the tip prior to cutting out for the light.

Mike
Mike, do you happen to remember the exact one you ordered? i would love to put some on my sprint,
Thanks!

BaldEagel 02-16-2012 02:48 AM

The ones I used where originally for the Boomerang Elan, but unfortunately by the time they arrived the Elan had been replaced by the Sprint (don't ask. :D) quite a bit of modification required to get the landing lights into the wing stub and the navigation lights into the wing tips, the underside light is between the wheel wells slightly offset because of a centre rib, but all doable, if you want to know anything else, I think we ought to take this to the Sprint thread or someone on here will get their nickers in a twist and tell us its a Nano thread.

Mike

Jamie C 02-18-2012 10:35 AM

I have just started to assemble my Nano and i will be fitting E-Flite retracts. Does anyone have any pictures of how they did the nose gear? did you mount the unit at the front of the nose bay or to the rear of it?

Cheers

chris kerby1 02-19-2012 01:22 PM

Without ploughing through  all the info, what kind of weight are we looking at on a completed Nano.

BaldEagel 02-19-2012 03:18 PM

There is no way that question can be answered with any certainty, if I had a JetCat P80 in it with power boxes and dual switches and batteries it would have no resemblance to one with a JetsMunt 80 with no power boxes and one battery, why not wade through and pick one that matches what you are going to do and ask the builder.

Mike

Colin Gontier 02-20-2012 12:31 AM

Chris,

The Nano comes out at about 6.5kg. People are generally putting in P60's or VT80's which are similar installed weight. The P80 does not fit in the Nano as the case size is too big.

Jamie,

Did Dave not give you his super M&R how to build a Nano in a godly way instruction supplement? :D If not Ive got a pic somewhere, will dig it out !

Dave Wilshere 02-20-2012 01:09 AM

He's not requested one...and being a proper modeller I thought he'd work it out :-)

I'll email him now just in case he's gone soft....

D

BaldEagel 02-20-2012 02:26 AM

The JetCat P80 reference was to ilistrate a point not to say you can fit one. :eek:

Mike

Jamie C 02-20-2012 05:16 AM

Soft? me?? . . . never!! just wanted a quick way forward to get it in the air, have a few weeks off so i am trying to cram in as much workshop time as possible. Need to get that Bandit airborne aswell! i Have been doing a fair bit of balsa bashing to . . . a Kamco Kavalier no less!