RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Kolibri Nano-Turbine and Bobcat 25 (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/8425168-kolibri-nano-turbine-bobcat-25-a.html)

SinCityJets 02-01-2009 12:28 AM

Kolibri Nano-Turbine and Bobcat 25

Well, I finally got to fly my new Kolibri turbine. It was outfitted in a Nitro Planes "Bobcat 25". The plane weighs in at about 4.5 pounds. The turbine is a Lambert Turbines Kolibri that puts out about 3 pounds of thrust.

The engine is $3000 and the plane is $80. Another $150 in servos and an 1100Mah A123 pack, and you have yourself the world's smallest flying tubine.

I apologize for the quality of the video. I have sent away for the "You too can be just like Paul Reese" at-home study course, but until it arrives, this is the best I can do. For those subject to seizures, you probably shouldn't watch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXBrswJZ-l4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIX1pUBIdnI

I'll post some photos later and more videos tomorrow!

SpiderJets 02-01-2009 05:11 AM

RE: Kolibri Nano-Turbine and Bobcat 25

Chad,

Congratulations !

It's a joy to see these videos... and I envy your runway !
This tiny Falcon shows to be rock steady with the Kolibri, in particular during take-off and landing. Due to our grass field and the tiny wheels of the Falcon25, my take-off speed is lower and hence the plane wobbles the first three seconds much more.

I have no idea how you managed to start up the Kolibri without the Autostart feature :D ... the inlet is almost not reachable for the air fan...
Very nice proof how great the Lambert Kolibris are, like you suggested ; the turbine is a lot of money but the rest is cheap and the fun is really priceless. These jets fly like the big ones...

Too bad you did not install retracts ; it is a lot of work indeed to convert the original electro kit for that, but it's well worth it. Well, for another 80 $ you can build your Falcon N°2... :D Mine flies some faster and/or my flights are also longer as I can throttle back more.

I would also like to know where you got your transparant canopy from ; my kit came with a fully painted one :(
If you could arrange me one like yours, I would be a very happy man !

Last question : did you use A123 on the RX or on the ECU ? I am converting all my RX battery packs to A123 2S (both in 1100 and 2300 MAh packs, great stuff) and the ones for my JetCats to the A123 3S 2300 (after ECU upgrade by JetCat). I've been asking Martin Lambert if I could use 3 cell packs (but I was talking about Lipos at that time) but he discouraged me trying that. Did you use A123 for the Lambert ECU ?? 2S or 3S ? If so, that would be fantastic news, as I'm trying to get rid of Lipos... Last week, I had to dump 12 packs as they don't perform well anymore and I hate the idea I would have to buy new Lipo packs again for such limited battery life span. [:@]

Congratulations once again on the maiden of your new love toy ;) and show us some photo details how you did the install, please.

PS. Good to see you're wearing ear defenders. The sound frequency is much higher and much more violent to the ears than other (bigger) turbines ; tell people not to stand so close when watching the start-up... I had terrible pain in the ears for three weeks after an afternoon's flying Kolibris without using these ear defenders. It simply is not worth it the risk of damaging your hearing.

Nicolas.

rcguy! 02-01-2009 07:29 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

Well, I finally got to fly my new Kolibri turbine. It was outfitted in a Nitro Planes "Bobcat 25". The plane weighs in at about 4.5 pounds. The turbine is a Lambert Turbines Kolibri that puts out about 3 pounds of thrust.

The engine is $3000 and the plane is $80. Another $150 in servos and an 1100Mah A123 pack, and you have yourself the world's smallest flying tubine.

I apologize for the quality of the video. I have sent away for the "You too can be just like Paul Reese" at-home study course, but until it arrives, this is the best I can do. For those subject to seizures, you probably shouldn't watch!

Can you tell me what brakes were used?

Dave

SpiderJets 02-01-2009 07:32 AM

Brakes ??? [8D]

avicom 02-01-2009 08:21 AM

Nicolas you just said it before me. Those two guys at the close rear end of the turbine in the start up, it's a no go, no matter is the engine is 55 pound or 1 pound. Notice the ear protection, againg the two guys arent't wearing any. Planes flys great though, congratulations for your new micromachine jet. Also what the hell are those two guys flying heli in the front of the runway? Aren't the field big enough?

Alex

SinCityJets 02-01-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Quote:

Dave
Yes I can, it is a friction brake on the front wheel. Not unlike the one used on the Shokjet, except they are on all the time. You must use the turbine to over power them.

Thanks for your interest though!

PS, the plane also has rudders.

SinCityJets 02-01-2009 10:31 AM

Nicolas,

To start the Kolibri, I just bought a little plastic adapter and cut it at an angle. I had to relieve a little more of the fiberglass at the rear to fit the adapter in to. Works great though.

I would have loved to install retracts, but man, what a pain in the *****. If you ever make it out this way, please bring all necessary parts and tools, and you can install them on mine. I will give you my clear canopy in exchange ;)

I did not use an A123 on the ECU. I don't think the Fadec ECU's are set up for A123's yet. The only two I know of at this point are JetCat and AMT.

As far as the local talent standing around during start up, I asked them several times to move, but they decided not to. Kind of like the Heli guy at the end of the runway, I hate flying so close to people, but at some point you have to land. Some people just have no common sense. I'm sure every field has there select few...

The plane is a blast. I will get some more video today.

avicom 02-01-2009 10:38 AM

Aweson post them when ready. I like to see new projects come to life. Ah! and nothing against the heli guys just the end of the runways is dangerous some times:D at least they put it down while you made your approach. We maiden an AW L-39 yesterday the video is not the best but will post it later in dif post.

SinCityJets 02-01-2009 10:45 AM

Near miss (hit) with the village idiot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqb-2WcGAQ

ceffi 02-01-2009 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

congrads for the maiden.
Looks very good and I think, fast enough.
This is my new playtoy for the kolibri.
But I don't have the wings, elevator and rudders up to now.
I should get them in the nearest future.

Christian

avicom 02-01-2009 10:48 AM

Woa[sm=punching.gif] I missed that part. It was close. Glad you made it.;)

SinCityJets 02-01-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: ceffi

Hello,

congrads for the maiden.
Looks very good and I think, fast enough.
This is my new playtoy for the kolibri.
But I don't have the wings, elevator and rudders up to now.
I should get them in the nearest future.

Christian
DAMN!! You will be the Kolibri PIMP flying that thing! Keep us updated.

Are they going to "match" the turbines, or are you just going to put them in as-is?

rcguy! 02-01-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dave
Yes I can, it is a friction brake on the front wheel. Not unlike the one used on the Shokjet, except they are on all the time. You must use the turbine to over power them.

Thanks for your interest though!

PS, the plane also has rudders.
Hmmm... AMA may have a different take on your "brake". I'm not going to quote the rules.......Maybe someday AMA will allow smaller lighter jets to use friction "always on" brakes.
Ya gonna have at Desert Jet Storm? I'd love to see it fly.

Dave

ceffi 02-01-2009 02:00 PM

Hello,
the second Kolibri is still in my Cutlass I flew at JetPower 08 for Martin Lambert.
I will keep you updated if I have new news, but in a new thread.

More details later.

Christian

SpiderJets 02-01-2009 03:26 PM

Hi Christian,

Hope to see you again at the 2nd Kolibri Meeting in Bedesbach, Germany during the last weekend of the Eastern Holidays ?...
I'll bring my three Kolibri models with me.
Hopefully the weather will be excellent, it's almost a 500 km drive for me.

PS. I'm drooling over designing a big Zagi flying wing for the Kolibri, would be great fun. I'm polishing the rust from my old CNC foam cutting machine right now... :D Just in case... I still have the files on my PC... just have to increase the size settings a bit...

Nicolas.

SinCityJets 02-01-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Hmmm... AMA may have a different take on your "brake". I'm not going to quote the rules.......Maybe someday AMA will allow smaller lighter jets to use friction "always on" brakes.

Dave
Dave,

You don't have to quote it, I will

"For RC fixed wing aircraft: The model shall be able to come to a controlled stop on command
with the engine at idle on a level hard surface. "

At my controlled input of going to idle, the plane comes to a controlled stop, thanks to my friction brake. Looks like "someday" is now!

Chad

747drvr 02-01-2009 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nicolas,

I'm using a 2S 2300 A123 to power both my FADEC and the RX and servos on my Twinjet . I asked Gaspar first if there was going to be a problem . He hadn't tried it but I was mainly concerned about a short since power goes to the FADEC directly and from the RX . Works great ! A 2S probably won't work for your autostart .

Marc

BTW The Zagi idea sounds very cool . The cheap and fun possibilities are endless with this little motor . I may just have to get another like you !

rcguy! 02-01-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Dave
Dave,

You don't have to quote it, I will

"For RC fixed wing aircraft: The model shall be able to come to a controlled stop on command
with the engine at idle on a level hard surface. "

At my controlled input of going to idle, the plane comes to a controlled stop, thanks to my friction brake. Looks like "someday" is now!

Chad

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_75...2Cbrake/tm.htm

Dave

SinCityJets 02-01-2009 05:50 PM

Looks fine to me. I activate the brake by going to idle on the transmitter. If the AMA wishes for further clarify the rule, I will also abide by that one, just as I am abiding by the current one.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go get my radar gun and thrust meter (in the same 510-A you are familiar with.)

rcguy! 02-01-2009 06:01 PM

Chad,
I'll not debate this with you as your mind is made up. Enjoy the Falcon 25.
Will you be attending Desert Jet Storm with it?

Dave

SinCityJets 02-01-2009 06:31 PM

Not sure if I will be able to make it down. If I do get down there, I will definitely have it. I am actually going to put either a disc brake or regular o-ring brake on it eventually (nose wheel). I

It cracks me up when some people want to add their own interpretations, or enforce some rules but wink about others. My favorite is the 199.999 top speed of most fast jets. Let's be realistic; would you rather be hit in the big toe by a 4.5 pound "runaway" Bobcat 25, or cut in half by a 199.9999 mph bandit.

Sometimes, common sense must apply.

SinCityJets 02-01-2009 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few shots a friend took on Friday...

SinCityJets 02-01-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: 747drvr

Nicolas,

I'm using a 2S 2300 A123 to power both my FADEC and the RX and servos on my Twinjet . I asked Gaspar first if there was going to be a problem . He hadn't tried it but I was mainly concerned about a short since power goes to the FADEC directly and from the RX . Works great ! A 2S probably won't work for your autostart .

Marc

BTW The Zagi idea sounds very cool . The cheap and fun possibilities are endless with this little motor . I may just have to get another like you !
Marc,

you could probably use two 1100 Mah A123's if you need to cut down the weight!

SpiderJets 02-02-2009 06:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It would be fantastic if A123 2S 1100 MAh could be used on the Autostart also ! [8D]
The A123's should have no trouble at all with the current draw, only the voltage is a bit less when compared to Lipos. (3.3V vs 3.7V /cell)
I definitely will try that, once the cold is gone here (snowing right now).

The size of the 1100's is really great for the Kolibri sized jets... One single pack for the ECU AND the RX is a dream !

Below a photo to compare sizes : on the left side in the Atlantic Ocean the yellow loose 1100 MAh cells, on the right side in the Indian Ocean a 3S pack of 2300's.

Nicolas.

SpiderJets 02-02-2009 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Chad,

If I were you, I would definitely install a FOD-screen, on the Falcon25 the Kolibri is sucking an incredible amount of debris like a vacuum-cleaner, especially all the bits and pieces thrown by the nose wheel. I have to clear the FOD screen of so much grass after each flight that I wonder how it is still possible it delivers so much power.
Check your turbine wheel, perhaps you might already spot some damage ?...
You could also make instead some kind of "windscreen" from a spare Coca-Cola PET bottle on the belly of the plane, to protect the air intake at the bottom.

Nicolas.