RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/8478417-comp-arf-bae-hawk-build-thread.html)

Dave Wilshere 01-29-2013 11:57 PM

RE: Comp ARF BAE Hawk build thread

I'm due another Hawk kit here today, with Xmas its ended up around 9 weeks delivery. Timing is everything, If the guy had ordered this 3 days earlier, it would have been here 4 weeks ago!

Dw

husafreak 01-31-2013 10:03 AM

Just got off the phone with the always helpful Todd at Dreamworks. He told me smoke systems can be a fiddle and so I thought I'd ask what is working for you guys. I already purchased a Sullivan Skywriter pump and one Deamworks Super Stick Smoke Injector. What are the pros and cons of mounting the injector at the front of the exhaust tube VS out the back of the plane? One, or are two smoke injectors necessary? But mostly if you have a system and it is working well I would love to see/hear about how you did it. Thanks

husafreak 01-31-2013 10:05 AM

Does Motors & Rotors have the Hawk dummy flap actuator covers back in stock? Or the rear entry wing bags?

Dave Wilshere 01-31-2013 11:40 AM

The Sullivan pump sucks from everyone I have seen in operation, Use a Powerbox smoke pump plugged into the powerbox for power (takes 5.9v and no more than a servo per flight) and a single Rx channel to control and its brilliant.

Not yet...guy who makes the covers is busy at proper work! Will chase.

Bags are not a problem, but shipping is! Quite heavy and awkward. Will look and reply to your email :)

Dave

dubd 01-31-2013 11:42 AM

You need the injector to be closest to the nozzle because that is the hottest point. If you put it at the back of the plane you are just blowing oil into the sky. I have a number of Youtube videos of my CARF Hawk with smoke. It had a Sullivan pump and one injector. You can be the judge on whether it sucks or not.

husafreak 02-01-2013 12:56 AM

Email. Check! Shipping. Ouch! Youtube. Wilco! Thanks :)

fireblade5437 02-01-2013 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Marty

With regards to fitting the probe as you can see in pic I cut off around the molding leaving around 5mm. I glued the insert in with hysol, then when dry I screwed in the probe which then gives you your alignment when gluing the molding to the nose of the aircraft. Also where the molding covers the nose I sanded and removed the paint so I was gluing FG to FG etc
This shows after I repainted the whole nose section.

Hopefully going to start on it for you on Sun evening.

Alan

afterburner 02-01-2013 09:04 AM

Thanks Alan. It looks great.

Marty

Kenrico 02-01-2013 09:08 PM

Hey guys, I was going to open a thread to ask the following questions but thought I'd post it here first, since its for the Hawk.
the big question, Do I need i power box yes or no. if yes which one would you recommend ? I'll be using a Futaba 14 Ch Rx (6014) I have enough channel space for every servo in the airplane to have its own slot on the Rx. I fly my Bandit, Boomerang Sprint and recently sold 2m MB339 with just the RX and two(2) Bats with (2)Regs. I've never own a power box before but saw one in person last week in a friends Carf Hawk and they are nice. I was thinking on a few options for power distribution which are the following: 1.>6014(14ch) with Power-box Competition (dont need the sequence feature of the cockpit)
2.>TWO(2) S bus Rx with Power-box Competition SRS.
3.>6014 (14ch) with Orbit Power-jack and Power-box Electronic switch w' Dual Bats.
4.>6014 (14ch) alone with Electronic Switch and Dual Bats.
Please post your opinions they are Greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Kenric

afterburner 02-01-2013 10:17 PM

I have used 6014's with smartfly power expander pros in the all four of my jets with two A123 2300 mah battery packs and the smartfly failsafe switch. Never had an issue. The smartfly gives two regulated 5v lines to the receiver and all the servos get power directly from the batteries. I'm going to switch out the 6014 on the hawk with the 6008 sbus RX that came with my new radio. I ordered the sbus GPS telemetry module. Since the 6008 only has eight standard servo connections, I have mini sbus servos for gear and brakes and one 3 channel decoder for steering and whatever else is needed so all the flying surfaces will go through the standard connections on the RX. I know people have great success with the powerboxes but they are more pricey than the Smartfly setup. Guess its whatever you feel more comfortable with.

Marty

dubd 02-01-2013 10:24 PM

A Powerbox or Power Expander is not necessary for the Hawk as it's a fairly simple plane. However, using one will not hurt, so ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

fireblade5437 02-02-2013 12:02 AM

I use two sets of A123 plugged into a cockpit power box with a R6014HS, (MX24 with Robbe FASST Tx module) really handy as you have a bit of volt reg from 6.6 + volts which is good for the JR servos and also the cockpit unit has a great door n wheel sequencer built in plus the ability to reset the mAh consumed after a fresh charge.

I have had no issues at all with this set up!

It is good that we all build different it would be a bit boring if every time you look inside a aircraft and they all use identical stuff!

Alan

tucson 02-02-2013 07:04 AM

Anyone have any problems with the hawk wanting to do a 180 on landing?
My brakes are fine. They do not lock up when I apply them and they appear to have equal pressure on both sides.

I fly off of a hard surface runway.

Can it be that one of the main gear springs is giving way sooner then the other causing the airplane to spin around?

Doesn't do it every time only when I apply the brakes.

As I said the brakes are not locking up and appear to have the same pressure.

Anyone else seen this with the hawk?

Thanks,

Stan

ricardinho 02-02-2013 07:08 AM

is your break valve proportional ?...i had that problem on my flash until i put on the jettronic proportional break valve...unreal

tucson 02-02-2013 07:54 AM

Ricardinho

I am using the jettronics brake valve it is not the newer one that does not leak air when you use the proportional mode.

Fireblade just pointed out to me that if my airlines are not equal length that could cause the problem.

I believe he is correct. One brake gets air slightly before the other, that gear spring bends first causing the plane to turn in that direction.

Stan

Dave Wilshere 02-02-2013 10:40 AM

A Powerbox boost signal, its not the dual batteries I use them for, I'd use a Sensor switch or Gemini on the Hawk happily, if I didn't want the amplified screened signal...

For me ant model with more than 4' or 1.2m of extension lead needs a PB unit and not just a switch. Yes, they work OK without, but the best servos are wasted without...

Stan. Always the tubes should be exactly the same length...!

Dave

tucson 02-07-2013 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another beautiful day for flying here in Tucson AZ,

I think it got to the low 70's.[8D]

Fireblades (Alan) Probe sure looks nice on the front of my Hawk.

Everyone comments on the presence it has in the air. Beautiful.

Alan told me that Marty has a probe coming also.

Marty, Alan did a beautiful job making the probe, your going to love it.

Stan

luv2flyrc 02-07-2013 05:15 PM

That looks great Stan! Lucky you out flying today, we're expecting 6 inches of snow tonight! :( I need to buy a place in Arizona!

Mike

tucson 02-07-2013 05:35 PM

Hi Mike,

I lived a lot of my life in the NE and the mountains of Colorado.

Thats why I live here now:D

Regards,
Stan

afterburner 02-07-2013 05:55 PM

Stan,
After looking at Alan's work, I couldn't resist asking him if he could do one for me. I'm looking forward to getting it. Your jet looks great.

Marty

fireblade5437 02-10-2013 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Marty

Probe all done in the post Monday!

Alan

afterburner 02-10-2013 05:13 PM

Looks great Alan. Thanks.

Marty

fireblade5437 02-14-2013 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Stephan (zetti)

Your probe is finished, it will be in the post to Germany first thing Saturday morning!

Alan

Zetti 02-16-2013 12:02 AM

Alan,

wow, that was incredible fast! Thanks again!

Stephan

Kenrico 02-18-2013 11:14 AM

Hey Guys, those of you who that used the Carbon Fiber rod over the flap push rod would you mind posting where you bought them if its an online store?
I'm also looking for some pictures of how you hinged and worked the third small nose gear door.

Thanks!

Kenric.