RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Another Skymaster Viper (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/8718743-another-skymaster-viper.html)

johnzqh 10-22-2010 08:55 PM

RE: Another Skymaster Viper

Hi Rainer

Sorry for the trouble.We already checked out you got the wrong nose retract.We already asked our supplier Mr. Li Kai to send new nose retract.Please send your address and phone number information to us via e-mail.Meanwhile,please disassemble the current nose retract and sedn back to Mr. Li Kai.I sent Mr. Li's address to you.Please check your mail.

Best regards

John
Skymaster Jet

3DAV8R 10-23-2010 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rudder Question:

I know that some of you have supported the hinges with brass tubing, Duncan I believe. Take a look a what I'm thinking of and let me know what you think. The brass tube will be notched before being inserted into the fin. Also, do you think any square supports will be needed on the fin where the hinge point will go in ? Any suggestions/help will be fantastic.

Steve

ww2birds 10-23-2010 04:58 PM

I have done that technique before with some warbirds having similar control surface geometry. It is a nice way to support the exposed part of the shaft that sticks out.

You can also use the Robart hinge point pockets to achieve the same effect, the advantage there is that the rudder surface is removable .. a nice bonus. But this is good thinking on your part...

See: [link=http://www.robart.com/store/control-hinges?page=1]http://www.robart.com/store/control-hinges?page=1[/link]

Dave

Selleri 10-23-2010 09:02 PM

Mine looked something like this and held up in all my flights.

http://frettavefur.net/Forum/uploadp...1264033984.jpg

http://frettavefur.net/Forum/uploadp...1264034033.jpg

3DAV8R 10-23-2010 10:09 PM

Looks like you put just a small flare at the end of the tube to get it a bit closer to the pivot point, great idea, just what I had in mind.

Steve

Selleri 10-24-2010 10:29 AM

Yes, worked very well.

http://frettavefur.net/Forum/uploadp...1264033952.jpg

Duncan 10-24-2010 01:58 PM

Steve, just square off one end as mentioned and they will be perfect. I roughed up the brass to give the hysol something to key into.

Cheers

Duncan

3DAV8R 10-24-2010 07:26 PM

Selleri, Duncan, thank you for the info on the hinges. Duncan, I used your idea on the ram's for the main gear doors, big difference. I now have very good mechanical advantage on the doors, I also did something similar on the nose gear door. I will post a few pics soon. Thanks again.

Steve

3DAV8R 10-25-2010 05:05 PM

Has anybody found that they had to relieve the underside of the wing skin so as to get a bit more aileron throw ? (down aileron)

Steve

Selleri 10-25-2010 08:33 PM

Steve check the counterbalance and the paint line(were the paint stops on the vipers) had minor conflicts there with mine but not on the wingskin.

Jim Cattanach 11-02-2010 11:02 AM

After losing my first large Viper to some electric power lines a while back, I got the offer of another unbuilt early version kit. Maidened it today. I had forgotten how relaxing it was to fly. I dialled in quarter inch of crow. It is amazing how slow it will land. Using a Wren 160. Dry weight is 39Lbs.
Must try to take better care of this one.

zl1wn 11-11-2010 06:46 PM

I am just finishing setting up my large Viperejet and have run into a problem with the retracts.

When the wheel are down, the air pressure is very slowly decreasing, so there must be a small leak.
However when the wheels are in the up position, the air pressure drops very quickly, so there is quite a large leak.

Ideas please on how to find the leak/s and fix it, if it is in the cylinders on the wheels how do I stop them leaking?

Thanks

Ross

Springbok Flyer 11-11-2010 07:30 PM

Mate,

Take a pair of pinchers and bloke one airline at one point at a time. Obviously you only need to concentrate, either on the up or the down side of the system at a time. However, don't forget to check the filler line too. Once you've isolated the leaking component, you can then set out to solve the problem.

But, don't be surprised to find more than one leak.................

Cheers

Jan

zl1wn 11-11-2010 08:13 PM

Jan,
Thanks for the comments, yes I have tried that it is in the up part of the left wing retract.
Now how do I fix the leak in that cylinder.

Thanks
Ross

Queensland, isn't that where NFL players like dogs????

Springbok Flyer 11-11-2010 11:06 PM

Mate,

If you know it is a cylinder that leak, just replace it.

Cheers

Jan

Duncan 11-12-2010 03:31 AM

The nose cylinder leaked on my viper. I used a syringe to put some BVM lube into the cylinder and worked it in and out for a while. It seemed to bed the o ring in and fixed the leak.

Duncan

erbroens 11-12-2010 08:16 AM

Same problem here. but as I don´t like pneumatics I simply got rid of of them and installed servos for actuating the gear doors. Pity this this was a pro version, with the pistons installed... oh fezes.

Enrique

Jim Cattanach 11-12-2010 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: erbroens

Same problem here. but as I don´t like pneumatics I simply got rid of of them and installed servos for actuating the gear doors. Pity this this was a pro version, with the pistons installed... oh fezes.

Enrique
I think it is the retract cylinder that is giving problems, not a gear door cylinder.
Solution is to inject some silicon grease into the cylinder, work it back & forth, then leave it overnight & if that doesn't work, strip down the cylinder, check the O ring for damage & replace it with a new one from a hydraulics shop.

erbroens 11-12-2010 11:26 AM

Ok, thanks.

I tried this already but even so two of three gear door cilinders didn´t worked as required and jammed the gear during the test.

It was faster to put the servos rather than waiting new pistons from China! ;)

Jim Cattanach 11-12-2010 11:35 AM

ORIGINAL: zl1wn

Jan,
Thanks for the comments, yes I have tried that it is in the up part of the left wing retract.
Now how do I fix the leak in that cylinder.

Thanks
Ross

Queensland, isn't that where NFL players like dogs????
My last answer was for your problem.

3DAV8R 11-22-2010 11:48 AM

Quick CG question: In the instructions it mentions 220mm-250mm from the leading edge at the root. 1st, Leading edge at the root I would assume is where the wing panel joins the fuselage, aft from that point? 2ed, what CG has everybody found that works well?

Thanks, Steve

NightSwan 11-22-2010 05:05 PM

I've got it balanced on the wing-tube, nose slightly down.

(Easy to balance as well, just slide the wings off a bit and loop a string around the wingtube)

i3dm 01-15-2011 02:05 PM

Hey guys,

WHats the recommended CG for the SM big viper ? the manual calls for 220-250mm..

thanks.

i3dm 01-16-2011 06:18 AM

Im about to maiden my buddy's large SM viper with 160SX. throws are per the manual and CG at about 225mm.

Any special tips or do's and dont's for the maiden ?
Thanks.

Duncan 01-16-2011 06:58 AM

I'm pretty sure the aileron throws where on the low side as per the manual . Rudder needs increasing to 65mm each way as well.