RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   CGRCJets A-10 Build Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9026043-cgrcjets-10-build-thread.html)

cgrcjet 04-23-2011 05:58 PM

RE: CGRCJets A-10 Build Thread

Nice job James. Looks to be coming along.

Right now i am building one for a customer that will be using a pair of tj90's. When this is accomplished we can widen the gap even more as far as fan size and create a bit more savings for more budget minded people. We will have to get Tam to make a new mold for the inlets like he did with the tj100. I know how he likes to stay busy, im sure he wouldnt mind a bit more on his plate.

chris

cgrcjet 05-25-2011 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Few pix of Dexters A-10 that i have been working on. Was able to talk him into the Spangdahlem panthers scheme. One of my favorites. He will be setting it up with a couple TJ90's.

Any flight report yet James?

chris

Shaun Evans 05-25-2011 08:18 PM

Hi,

What's your stock like? If someone wanted one, do you have open stock? What items, if any, are backordered?

Thanks

cgrcjet 05-25-2011 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

What's your stock like? If someone wanted one, do you have open stock? What items, if any, are backordered?

Thanks
I build to order. On average about 2-4 weeks for a kit and about 6 weeks for an ARF depending on which spectrum the roller coaster is in. I do not have the means or time to keep any open stock around.

thanks
chris

cgrcjet 05-30-2011 09:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Dexter. Finished the clearcoat today and the last little bits. Start on the plug for the TJ90 inlet tomorrow. Thought i would post a few finished shots.

chris

cgrcjet 06-03-2011 07:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished the plug today and made some inlets for the TJ90.

chris

cgrcjet 07-18-2011 09:56 AM

Video of Mark Browns A10 running 90mm fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db0Pp...re=uploademail

wowplanes 07-18-2011 11:29 AM

Chris
How many cells are the Midi Fans running on?
Fahim

cgrcjet 07-18-2011 08:43 PM

Hi Fahim
I believe it was 9s. Weight came in just under 24 pounds. Dexters will be 4 pounds lighter than Marks running couple tj90's. I lightened the layups and structure on his, so it should be a nice glider.

chris

tulz161 08-19-2011 08:30 AM

I just found what I'll be using to transport mine when I actually get my hands on one.

http://www.a-10.org/images/a10_van01.jpg

cgrcjet 04-18-2012 05:24 AM

I have started and updated version of the A-10 and you can follow along here. I will be reconfiguring the airframe and adding extra details to make a faster building and more scale kit.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11046680

Chris

J.F 11-25-2012 10:41 AM

In the final stages of finishing mine now, there's flight at the end of the tunnel ;)

Little video of the first synchronised start of the two mw44 kerostarts.

http://vimeo.com/54228030

I think this is going to be plenty of power.

When installing it all, I remembered someone saying that 2 turbines are 4 times as much work. It is very true!! But we'll worth it.

cgrcjet 11-25-2012 03:35 PM

Nice James! That thing wants to get in the air. Please make sure cg is correct. An inch out may be a bad thing. Also, did you fix the rear wing incidence on this one?

Good luck and do post some video!

thanks
chris

J.F 11-26-2012 12:48 AM

Hi chris,

This kit was bought from another guy in the uk, who purchased it from Lowell, who said that the incidence had been done. So assume its all ok.

What's the recommened cofg at present? She'll no doubt be nose heavy on take off from all the fuel, then more so when that landing gear goes up/forward.

J

Dave Wilshere 11-26-2012 01:07 AM

J

Looking forward to this :D

D

J.F 11-26-2012 04:12 AM

Glad you are....I'm cr*pping myself! :D

The pipes the Ilja (Grummania) made are v.good!

J

cgrcjet 11-26-2012 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: J.F

Hi chris,

This kit was bought from another guy in the uk, who purchased it from Lowell, who said that the incidence had been done. So assume its all ok.

What's the recommened cofg at present? She'll no doubt be nose heavy on take off from all the fuel, then more so when that landing gear goes up/forward.

J

Send me a pic of underside of tail section. Good to be sure. Cofg is 4 inches back from leading edge. May want to try little less for first flight to se how it handles. Maybe just 1/4 inch less. I built a second one for john and lowell and john had cg back 1 inch to far and thought it would be fine but lost control after takeoff. Where is fuel located?

Do you have a pic of the new thrust tubes?

chris

J.F 11-26-2012 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HI Chris,

if i balance at 4" with wheels down and no fuel then i'll be fine.

i have 3/8 between bottom of fus and underside of tail.

thruist tubes are a scaled down version of the ones Ilja makes for the skymaster A10 - good quality, good price, and fast turnaround.

If all goes well with the maiden I'll be ordering a full set of weapons off you!

cgrcjet 11-26-2012 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: J.F

HI Chris,

if i balance at 4'' with wheels down and no fuel then i'll be fine.

i have 3/8 between bottom of fus and underside of tail.

thruist tubes are a scaled down version of the ones Ilja makes for the skymaster A10 - good quality, good price, and fast turnaround.

If all goes well with the maiden I'll be ordering a full set of weapons off you!

Just dont get too nose heavy. Depending on where the mains are fixed, it may take a bit to rotate. May want little extra stretch to take off from to be safe.

Rear horizontal stab looks fine.

How much for the thrust tubes?

chris

cgrcjet 11-26-2012 03:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wish your engine nacelle looked like someone shot it with a shotgun a few times like this one. This is my new unfinished plug for the new version. 4 days just on rivets. The mold is now finished and im actually laying it up as we speak. I will be posting some updates on the new thread soon.

J.F 11-28-2012 10:13 AM

Looks awesome Chris, you have more patience than me!

Not sure on the retail price for the thrust tubes and "cones" from Ilja - prob best to send an email, as don't think he has on his web shop yet.

invertmast 11-28-2012 10:20 AM

Damn chris, those nacelles look great! I get to be a beta tester right :)

cgrcjet 11-28-2012 04:53 PM

Trust me, i dont have patience. I have to learn to deal with my impatience. I cant wait until this thing is done, but if i do, i know it will turn out a nicer kit.

When do you think you will maiden? Now im getting impatient, lol!

Thomas

Take your vacation and come down for couple weeks. You can stay at my house and you can help me finish up faster. We can make you 2 of them, and you could beta test both of them, i dont care. Could throw in some gas money if you wanted to drive down.

chris

invertmast 11-28-2012 05:08 PM

Chris,
When my vacation comes around i will take you up on that offer! Lol. Ive gotcha some glass cut, i just have to find the time to ship it

Ron101 11-28-2012 06:16 PM

That looks great man!
great work Chris.... can't wait to see it all done