RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Skygate Hawk - build (virtual manual) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9222791-skygate-hawk-build-virtual-manual.html)

marc s 11-02-2009 02:26 PM

Skygate Hawk - build (virtual manual)

1 Attachment(s)
I seem to have got into a 'thing' with posting my builds so rather than go against my nature, its a Skygate Hawk build.
The kit is a basic one so nothing fitted internally, so the jigsaw of wooden parts should be the first challenge, along with securing the main wing tube to the fuselage side! The build is going to be a standard one, with a possible tweak around ducting and fuel tank systems.
As always welcome comments and advise along the way.

marcs

readyturn 11-02-2009 02:31 PM

RE: Skygate Hawk - build (virtual manual)

Marcs,

The threads are always interesting, keep the pictures and dialog coming. :D:D

Thanks
Rick

ThomasP 11-02-2009 02:33 PM

Marc,

Always interesting to see your build threads, and looking forward to this one too.:)

Keep up the good work.

Alistair.

Andrew Bird 11-02-2009 03:05 PM

This will be stunning as always.

Your threads are great places for me to steal ideas:D (then execute with far less skill.....)

JRSmith 11-02-2009 03:08 PM

Subscribed, Looking forward to the build. Take care.

Jason

schroedm 11-02-2009 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brings back memories :D

Good luck!

Dave Wilshere 11-02-2009 06:08 PM

Ah Extra 2.12 Prototype and Seb SU-29 50 ;)

Dw

marc s 11-02-2009 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Ah Extra 2.12 Prototype and Seb SU-29 50
Spotted on the garage wall ;-)

OK been juggling with wood, and here is what I have so far - main rails and front main former for tank support, gear door hinging and air cylinder supports.

marc s 11-02-2009 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next are the three rearmost formers and one thrust tube support

marc s 11-02-2009 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Main turbine support frames and bearers, elevator servo mounts and elevator linkage support pylons.

marc s 11-02-2009 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nose gear frame support and nose gear door rails and hinge points.

marc s 11-02-2009 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now I need help ;) left over parts with no home, any ideas?

marcs

bigplumbs 11-02-2009 06:52 PM

I have never seen one of these before it is built................... First impression is there is a lot to do for the money they cost !

Dennis

schroedm 11-02-2009 07:02 PM

Marc,

big bits are turbine rails
t-piece is tailpipe 'support' that holds pipe down at rear
curved bits are nose door cylinder supports
gonna pass on the 2 rectangular(ish) bits

now you see why I coughed up for their stage 3 build option!

Cheers
Mark

CraigG 11-02-2009 07:03 PM

I hope there are instructions or at least some plans?

schroedm 11-02-2009 07:05 PM

ORIGINAL: marc s

Ah Extra 2.12 Prototype and Seb SU-29 50
Spotted on the garage wall ;-)

OK been juggling with wood, and here is what I have so far - main rails and front main former for tank support, gear door hinging and air cylinder supports.

Marc, those bits on the edges aren't cylinder supoports. They go in front of the wing tubes as a ply doubler for the wing bolt/captive nut setup to retain the wing.

M

David Searles 11-02-2009 07:07 PM

Marc,

The two long curved parts on each side are the turbine mount rails. They fit inside the white housing which attaches to the pipe. The "T" shaped part sits at the rear, just under the stab brace and holds the top of the pipe in place so that it can't move up.

David S

schroedm 11-02-2009 07:09 PM

ORIGINAL: CraigG

These kits are a perfect example of a German kit!! 100s of bits and no plans or manual. You do get a few photos on a CD that generally doesn't quite show what you need! Most German manufacturers take the stance 'if you need a manual to work it out you shouldn't be buying it'!!!!!

David Searles 11-02-2009 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: schroedm

ORIGINAL: CraigG

These kits are a perfect example of a German kit!! 100s of bits and no plans or manual. You do get a few photos on a CD that generally doesn't quite show what you need! Most German manufacturers take the stance 'if you need a manual to work it out you shouldn't be buying it'!!!!!
With the Euro at 150 they don't need to worry about me buying anymore![:@]

David S

David Gladwin 11-03-2009 03:59 AM

I really do wonder what planet these guys are living on and why they treat their customers with such contempt. Several thousand pounds/dollars for a model aircraft and they can't give even BASIC guidance on its assembly. I have been building model aircraft since 1954 or earlier, and even Keil Kraft kits of that era at 3/6d per kit gave building instructions.

We dont need "stick a to b" instructions but just basic things like former location, and C of G position and questions like those raised in this thread would not/ should not be needed. Having built TWO Airworld Hawks I still have some bits left over with no idea what they are for !

Beginning to wonder if I should cancel my order.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

marc s 11-03-2009 04:14 AM

Marc, those bits on the edges aren't cylinder supoports. They go in front of the wing tubes as a ply doubler for the wing bolt/captive nut setup to retain the wing.
M spotted that, think my explanation was duff, I had mounted the cylinder mounts to the front x-former and they are not that visible in the photo, cheers for clarifying.

The two long curved parts on each side are the turbine mount rails. They fit inside the white housing which attaches to the pipe. The "T" shaped part sits at the rear, just under the stab brace and holds the top of the pipe in place so that it can't move up
Cheers David.

I really do wonder what planet these guys are living on and why they treat their customers with such contempt. Several thousand pounds/dollars for a model aircraft and they can't give even BASIC guidance on its assembly. I have been building model aircraft since 1954 or earlier, and even Keil Kraft kits of that era at 3/6d per kit gave building instructions.
David, hopefully this thread will go some way to being a 'manual' - I will try to treat it as one if it helps. The quality of the kit is superb though so even at this stage it is a work of art to look at. Unfortunately I only build and this kit is the basic with nothing done so fitting formers is just one of those jobs that has to be done.

Thanks for all the input and help on the spare parts guys - appreciated.

marcs

schroedm 11-03-2009 04:48 AM

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Beginning to wonder if I should cancel my order.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
David,

Swap for a Tomahawk Design Hawk. So far Thomas has proved helpful, reliable and has done everything he said he would so far. Seems very organised with production schedule dates that he guarantees to meet so hopefully it won't replicate the 6-8week wait from Skygate that became 28weeks! [:@]

Rgds
Mark

marc s 11-03-2009 05:36 AM

Being German though were are still likely to be missing that build info ;-) I know yours is being fitted out but at a cost!

marcs

schroedm 11-03-2009 07:00 AM

That is true but £££ < my time ;)

Anyway, is it finished yet? Hurry up and come up with a slick way of doing the outer gear doors so I can copy it on my new one :)

One thing that would be a godsend on these Hawks (and something Skymaster chose to do) would be to fit a hatch of some sort. Getting to the turbine is virtually impossible without splitting the fuselage in half. I don't think there is a scale hatch that could be used to squeeze a hand through either [:o] so get thinking!

Rgds,
Mark

marc s 11-03-2009 07:49 AM

Whats the rush, you need to build that runway first :D

Talk to me about gear doors....... and just where are hatches on the full size, any ideas?

marcs