RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   C-ARF Flash Build Thread for All Flash's being built this winter (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9256417-c-arf-flash-build-thread-all-flashs-being-built-winter.html)

seflyer 12-16-2010 05:42 PM

RE: C-ARF Flash Build Thread for All Flash's being built this winter

I didn't buy a Jolly Roger because I thought it would be hard to see, so I got a T-bird, no problems seeing it, then bought a used Jolly Roger and it shows up just fine, I have a blue angel prop jet and those colors are very visible. I think the Flash would make a good trainer as well, very solid with no bad habits.

Kevin

hbutler 12-18-2010 03:41 AM

Another couple of questions...

Thinking of using an AR9200 for my flash. I prefer the AR9100, but because of some other components I currently have the the 9200 is a better fit.

Only concern is the current draw. The 9200 is rated at 20 amps continuous where as the 9100 is rated at 35 amps. What's your guys opinion? My guess is that 20 should be plenty. Manual suggest it would, but just want to check with others. The plane currently has 8411s all the way around. Would like to setup the plane's power system to be able to handle 8711s. I believe they are physically bigger than 8411, so they could be some fitting issues, but I'll deal with that if and when I change the servos out. So do you think 20 amps would be enough for hard flying with 8711s? (Not sure if 8711s would consume more current than 8411s. Stronger servo may not work as hard. So 8411s might be the bench mark)

Secondly would dual 2xxx mah packs be enough for a days worth of flying? Say 10 flights or so?

KC36330 12-18-2010 03:47 AM

8411's are more then you'll ever need so why change them????

hbutler 12-18-2010 03:55 AM

I've had issues with slop in in my giants. Not a fan of sending sending servos in for new gears so I use Hitech. Definitely would use much less throw, so slop might not happen as fast. I've had better luck with 8711s and I hear that 8911s are better.

Bought the plane used, and the servos a 6 flights old... So I have some time. Or I could sell them now while they are in good shape and replace them with a servo with a better gear train.

sailing1 12-18-2010 03:58 AM

I have 8411's all around except for the rudder which is a Hitec 7955TG. They work just fine. Power draw is not a concern. My power setup uses dual LiIon 2600 batteries on a Power Box switch/reg. I have never tried flying 10 flights in a day but typically fly 5-6 times. On 6 flights the most I have ever put back into the packs is between 350-400 ma per battery so I can't see why they wouldn't handle 10 flights so long as the are good batteries.

hbutler 12-18-2010 04:08 AM

So my guess is that your LiIons are rated at 5.2amp discharge. If they are running truly in parallel, that would give you 10.4amps So 20 should be fine.

How are your gears holding up on the 8411s?

KC36330 12-18-2010 05:09 AM

jets don't beat the hell out of servos like gassers do (no vibration), i flew hell out of my Flash and never had a problem with the 8411 gears

sailing1 12-18-2010 05:20 AM

The 8411's have 75 flights in my Flash and probably about that many more in my Boomerang XL before I moved them over. Still holding up just fine. Like KC36330 said, servos just don't take much of a beating in Jets. The deflections are not huge and not for long durations (with the exception of the flaps I use Hitec TG's for these but that is just personal preference) and the viberaton is not there. Unless they already have some slop in them I would not mess with it.

aquaskiman 12-18-2010 05:45 AM

8411,s and 140 flights

hbutler 12-18-2010 08:06 AM

Good to hear. Thanks guys

seflyer 12-18-2010 08:12 AM

I have about 20 flights on my new Flash and the used one has about 350 all 8411's, both aircraft work perfectly. the 8711's don't really fit in the stabs without some grinding. the 84's are all the plane will ever need.

Kevin

dubd 12-18-2010 09:43 AM

The slop associated with JR servos when used in 3D/IMAC planes isn't a problem with jets. The application is very different. Keep in mind that you might get a better gears from the high-end Hitec servos, but they'll never center as well as a JR or Futaba servo. That is the realized practical benefit from using JR servos. Better centering. Look in the pattern and IMAC community and take note on how many pilots are using Hitec... very few.

Wayne22 12-18-2010 10:01 AM

After reading all umpteen pages of this thread, (and the manual) I committed to 8411's ,,,you guys have reinforced my decision - thanks!! Still building for a flight sometime after this ice age recedes in a few months........

hbutler 12-18-2010 10:46 AM

Glad I'm not the only one benefiting

Dave Wilshere 12-18-2010 12:56 PM

5A is enough on a Flash! I have 8411's on the ailerons and elevators on the prototype Flash, 8311 on rudder, 8231 on Flaps and hundreds and hundreds of flights, still on original servos and gears, PB Sensor switch and 2x Thunderpower 2100 Prolite 2s Li-Pos. I can have 15-18 flights on a charge! Current draw is not an issue if the Flaps are set up not to bind. In the first couple of years it would regularly do more than 10 flights in a day with several people flying it.
It originally had a 35mHz JR 1000DX then a JR 921 (Spektrum 9000) Rx

Dw

hbutler 12-18-2010 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: sailing1

I have 8411's all around except for the rudder which is a Hitec 7955TG. They work just fine. Power draw is not a concern. My power setup uses dual LiIon 2600 batteries on a Power Box switch/reg. I have never tried flying 10 flights in a day but typically fly 5-6 times. On 6 flights the most I have ever put back into the packs is between 350-400 ma per battery so I can't see why they wouldn't handle 10 flights so long as the are good batteries.
The numbers you quoted on how much you put back into batteries just registered with me... Sounds like I need to put my giant scale experience on the shelf when it comes to this area. Vibration and throw must be a bigger factor that what I thought. If after 6 flights, you but back only 400ma, that would suggest that I could use two 1100mah A123s and the AR9100 which I already have. Might not get 10 flights, but I can charge this bats in about 10 mins. Additionally I'll save some $.

So does 70mah per flight line up with everyone else expectation?

KC36330 12-18-2010 03:25 PM

typically i base battery size on what i need for balance weight as opposed to flight times...........

Dave Wilshere 12-18-2010 03:27 PM

I'd say more like 110-150 per battery, per flight. But it's possible. Depends whether you do Flap passes and spins. You might as well go 2300 as you will need weight in the nose...

Dw

sailing1 12-18-2010 03:36 PM

I tend to error on larger battery sizes and pretty much stick to Formeco 2600 LiIon Packs. I use them on my Giant Scale planes also and like to have the uniromity of only one charger setup. As to changing your thinking on battery useage compared to big planes yep it is a different ball game. On my 35% planes I usually fly 4-6 times out and the put back on those is often around 1200 mah per battery for the reciever packs. Yea, for me 70 -100 mah per pack per flight is about right for the way I fly.

hbutler 12-18-2010 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: KC36330

typically i base battery size on what i need for balance weight as opposed to flight times...........
I've been told that balance was also a consideration by dubd.

Ok.... thanks again.

dubd 12-18-2010 03:39 PM

+1

The same advice I gave to hbutler... but he doesn't listen to me. ;):D

hbutler 12-18-2010 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: dubd

+1

The same advice I gave to hbutler... but he doesn't listen to me. ;):D
That's not totally true... I listen most times.

seflyer 12-18-2010 04:28 PM

I have 3 4400mah two cell lipos in the pockects of my flash, I can fly all month on a charge, lol
my second FLash has everythign in the nose ahead of the canopy and has 2 2100 lipos in the pockets, it is a bear to work on but is a lighter plane due to the smaller batts.

Kevin

dubd 12-18-2010 05:09 PM

I generally buy the batteries when I am getting the CG set-up for the plane. Case in point, my Skymaster F-4 needed a pound of lead in the nose. Rather than having dead weight, I bought 4 x 2s 5000mah lipos for my rx, ecu, and afterburner lights and ditched all of the lead.

NICKELUP 12-18-2010 10:11 PM

Hi guys does anybody know if there is a build tread for the ultra ligthning. Thanks for the help