RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   FEJ F86 1/5 Build and Review Thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9294497-fej-f86-1-5-build-review-thread.html)

Kmarks 12-01-2009 10:13 AM

FEJ F86 1/5 Build and Review Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

I have just received the New Fly Eagle Jet's 1/5 F86. All I can say is "WOW" I plan to do a build thread and review of this jet in the next few weeks.

Please allow this thread to be used for positive building techniques and constructive criticism concerning THIS JET ONLY! There are plenty of other threads to complaign about if your other bird has problems, I just want to keep this short and to the point.

Here in photos:
1. Box with main fuse
2. Box with rear section. Both came by DHL with out a scratch.
3. Pic of Front Nose Gear door assembly, neat and strong.
4. Pic of the servo location in the rear underside of tail section. Nice use of CF.
5. Pipe has nice contour edge to protect upper part of aft fuse.
6. NICE improvement on the pipe. Firstly the tabs are attached to the stronger inner pipe, secondly their are 2 rows of spot weld marks that have been nicely ground smooth, and lastly the thickness for both inner and outer are right on. Great Job on this pipe.
7. Strong looking elevator assembly
8. Canopy top side
9. Canopy mechanics for sliding. this looks really strong with a carbon plate and nice air cylinder
10 Plenty of gas tank space. Not sure of capacity but will measure soon.
11. A new technique from FEJ using large size ball links for moving doors.
12. I put the fuse together and wings in in less then 5 minutes. This F86 is huge and really is bigger looking in person than what it shows in the photos.

Will have more pics later.

Kevin Marks

rbxbear44 12-01-2009 10:43 AM

RE: FEJ F86 1/5 Build and Review Thread

Awesome Kevin!

James...you guys are doing it right, my friend. Hats off to the FEJ folks as things evolve. Looking forward to seeing how the Mig comes on line soon.

Have fun with the build!
Rex

Kmarks 12-01-2009 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here are a few more:

1. Main gear door hook up
2. Second shot Main gear door assembly
3. Glance through servo hatch showing hard ply former with CF string for strength
4. Inside wing showing CF reinforced spar
5. Wing root showing thickness of ply and carbon fiber use
6. Trailing wing spar reinforced with carbon fiber ( both wing spars have been Carbon Fiber Reinforced)
7. Carbon Fiber Plate used on landing gear mounts
8. My fingers are pretty thick, and in comparison this is the thickest carbon fiber wing spar I have seen! both spars are strengthened with an inner aluminum rod. That is the way to do it folks !!!
9. The front leading edge slat seems to slide nice and looks great. Under side is also finished and painted.

Enjoy.

Vincent 12-01-2009 10:45 AM

Good looking jet Kev...keep us updated on the assembly.
V..
PS: i am going out flying wed aft

readyturn 12-01-2009 11:29 AM

That looks great...... again, I have to wait to see what is in strore from Santa.

Rick

Kmarks 12-01-2009 12:06 PM

I think FEJ uses DHL. :D[X(]

Tom Antlfinger 12-01-2009 04:15 PM

Hi Kevin:

Looks good so far......More glue than I use, but a little too much is better than too little....

I see where they have incorporated all the carbon fiber upgrades as well as making the spar carry-thru tube full length from side to side, epoxied to that former......they picked up some good tips at JetPower according to James......

Hope to get mine soon, since we both ordered about the same time............

hboost 12-02-2009 10:30 AM

What are you going to use for turbine?

Kmarks 12-02-2009 11:44 AM

Hello Hboost,

The jet is factory set for P160 size, namely engine mounts and thrust tube. I have a P200 that is going in this large Jet and FEJ adjusted the motor mount and pipe for me.

Here in Arizona when it's 110 degrees outside extra thrust is needed. This is a big jet, probably when fully loaded in the high 48 to 52 lbs size with fuel. I think the P180 to P200 will work well. The P160 will fly it very scale without spectacular verticle.

I am going over this bird with a fine tooth comb and have found only very minor things. This F86 is leaps and bounds better in quality then my last jet. The difference is that FEJ is using Carbon Fiber Everywhere and has gone to strong ply formers with CF laminant. The wing spars look amazing, and the layup is TOP NOTCH.

I think they also went to a different vender for the epoxy resin they use. The epoxy on my last few FEJ jets looked yellowish, and the glue joints now look white and creamy.

Use a larger engine, make sure you tell James what engine you will use when ordering, you will not be dissapointed in this jet.

Kevin

Vincent 12-02-2009 11:51 AM

Is it done yet? ;)
V..

uncljoe 12-02-2009 12:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Vincent

Is it done yet? ;)
V..
Ha ! V.. he's peddling as fast as he can... :D(joke) my guess is right about the time the new Mig is ready,what do you think Kevin.
Semper Fi
joe

NickC5FE 12-02-2009 12:46 PM

Looks nice Kev- those L.E Slats are awesome!

Bill Hatcher 12-02-2009 01:12 PM

Kevin, I also got one of the first 10 of these planes. Hope mine is ready soon. Did you get any type of cockpit with yours as I see they now have one on there site.
Can't wait for mine.

Kmarks 12-02-2009 05:27 PM

Bill,

That is funny you just asked that, before logging on I just called James and asked the same question. As explained to me, this kit does not include pilot and cockpit parts. FEJ has just received these parts from the vender and is sold separatly.

Bill I am sure you will love this one. Which color did you order?

Also, Vin and Uncle Joe, I will try and start the build thread early next week. Still trying to get the F16 sorted out.

Kevin

hboost 12-02-2009 06:11 PM

Kevin,
I ordered one as well when they came out. Thanks for the suggestion of telling Jemes the engine i am going to be using.
I got my hands on a AMT AT400 trubine which might be good for this plane. Mine should be done very soon..
Thanks,

Kmarks 12-02-2009 06:20 PM

I had an AT 400 with auto start that was hand built by Ron at AMT years ago. It is a power house and is an excellent engine and great match for this jet. Brian O'Mera bought mine with the Sky Master F4 I sold, and he tells me its his favorite engine.

Let us see your color scheme when it comes.

Kevin

David Jackson 12-03-2009 12:26 AM

Cockpit looks pretty decent, and the price is right. Hope to get one shipped out with my plane, if possible.[8D]

Bill Hatcher 12-03-2009 09:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kevin, The photo below is the color I have coming. I got a e-mail from James saying mine would ship next week. I will try to get the Cockpit kit in the box.

David Jackson 12-03-2009 10:57 AM

Got an email from James this morning regarding the cockpit. He stated that the cockpit can be ordered, but there might be a small wait time as the company needs time to get them ready to ship. He didn't provide any details as to what needed to be completed before the cockpit could be shipped.[8D]

Kmarks 12-05-2009 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok I started my build on the FEJ F86, and will begin on the wings:

1. Wing Servo Boxes as they come each wrapped.
2. I like to tack each box together for trial fit.
3. placement of each box on wing.
4. When gluing servos to wing always a good idea to epoxy a sheet of fiberglass cloth to wing backing.
5. Trial fit of glass cloth
6. Tape off edges of box openings
7. Sand inner wing skin so epoxy hold good and dab some prime to help hold FG cloth in place.
8. Insert FG cloth in place and position properly.
9. I use West Systems epoxy resin, and brush over FG cloth.
10. If spill on wing,
11. Use Alcohol and rag to immediately clean up.

Kmarks 12-05-2009 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cont:

1. View of Epoxied Fiber Glass
2. Pull Tape when done. Yo9u dont want tape to lift paint if left on too long.
3. Sand edges to servo box openings on wings
4. Be sure to hold these weak skin areas when sanding, you don't want to tear balsa laminant.
5. Slide boxes in.
6 This is INCORRECT positioning.
7. This is CORRECT.
8. View of servo
9. View of all box orientation left wing
10. Box orientation right wing.
11. Epoxy inside of boxes.
12. I do not use the supplied tabs as shown on left side, I cut thicker quality ply tabs on right.

Kmarks 12-05-2009 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cont:

1. Glue Tabs in.
2. Tabs Glued in.
3. Sand Boxes to clean up edges.
4. Place Boxes in wing and glue. Scuff before gluing.
5. All Boxes Glued in.
6. Glue in wing tabs, be sure to glue to under side of skin. This is a strong mount that hold both skins together.
7. Moving on to installing aileron and flaps, I found to get all the flap I want i needed to trim a small portion of flap flange.

I am editing this part briefly: after flying this model I prefer to have more than the 15 mm of ailerons and flaps are set at 20 and 30 degrees. In order to achieve these throws, please make sure you leave plenty of space between flaps and ailerons and the wing skin. Just a recomendation. If you find that you glued the moving parts to close to wing skin, you will need to cut and trim off a portion of the trailing edges. Top and bottom for aileron, just the bottom for flap.

8. Measure and drill holes in wings and surfaces, trial fit, and re-drill as needed.
9. Put plenty of epoxy in the holes.
10. Epoxy as shown.
11. Attach servo mount brackets without rubber servo grommits.
12. Using Hitec Servos this time I found that the lead is placed differently than JR servos, so a little dremmeling in needed.

Well this took me 2 evenings to complete, more soon.

Kevin Marks

hboost 12-05-2009 04:34 PM

I am printing, I am printing. Waiting for mine. Cant wait.
Good Job!!

Tom Antlfinger 12-05-2009 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got my shipping note from James today.....left Zhujiang Delta Region, PRC at 1645 on the 5th local, and now is in Hong Kong.

I got the same Luke scheme as Bill Hatcher.......

I like your build photos Kevin.......I have to wait until it gets here, but I am going to look into mounting the servo's using Tom Cook's Zero-Flex mounts like on my Firebird, on the servo covers. My C-ARF Euro does it the same way....most solid way of mounting servos, IMO....from what I see on your photos, should be do-able......just have to make the hatch tabs nice and strong out of C/F and glue them well.....

Kmarks 12-05-2009 09:24 PM

Tom,

keep in mind as I posted, these servo boxes serve as both holder for servos and as support for interior of wing cord. On this one I would really suggest using these boxes. But if you do it the other way post here in case others want to try that also.

So far this F86 is really a fun build and seems excellent quality.

Kevin