RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk 1: 3.5 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9345755-tomahawk-design-bae-hawk-1-3-5-a.html)

Carsten Groen 08-07-2012 05:17 AM

RE: Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk 1: 3.5

1 Attachment(s)
Latest update,
I have crashed my Hawk :(
But not to worry, new parts are already ordered from Tomahawk, a new nose section and new wing :D

It was completely my fault, I came in to slow at landing, and made a slight adjustment on the rudder, BANG, it tipstalled violently. The nose looked like something from "roadrunner" and one of the wings was crushed at the tip.
Two positive things came of this:
1) I got to look into the wing, and could see the nice work inside
2) I will never do this again
:D

So, back up on the horse, just hope that spare parts can be delivered ASAP!
A few pictures from the Hawk when it looked nice :D

David Gladwin 08-07-2012 05:47 AM

Sorry to hear you bent it. Hawks don't tip stall do they? My AW Hawks are extremely docile.

Make sure next time the vortex generators are at the correct angle, canted inwards at about 15 degrees. They seem to WORK even at our Reynolds numbers.

Another point, if you have mixed down stab with rudder application to counter pitch up in Knife edge DONT use rudder near the ground ! (or deactivate the mix with flap!!)

Gyros, caution: If you have a gyro on roll and the machine drops a wing at the stall, the gyro will do exactly the wrong thing, ie use aileron to counteract, leading to possible further wing drop, hello spin.

Regards,

David.

Carsten Groen 08-07-2012 05:52 AM

It is very docile, I provoked it at safe height, no problems, just a slight nose down at stall, and it was flying again.
The problem was that I applied a little rudder while too slow, it immediatly went over. The vortex generators are at the angle given in the skin of the wings. There are no mixes on it (also no mixing on elevator with flaps).
It is however, nose heavy, but I don't think that should generate the problem I saw.

Next time I will keep the speed up :D

jetpilot 08-07-2012 07:37 AM

Wow, sorry to hear that!
I didnt think it would tip stall. I've gotten mine Redicuously slow and it only just would drop. Must be from CG?
Scott

jetpilot 08-07-2012 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a few small things before paint.
Scott

Carsten Groen 08-10-2012 01:04 AM

Nice collection you have there Scott [8D]

Here is a video of my first flight on the hawk, (sorry for the boring flight), I was so nervous that I couldn't remember the flight afterwards :D
The wind was a little high, around 8 m/s (almost 30 km/h) and was at 30 deg to the runway.
I did not have flaps on for the landing (which I have learned was not optimum)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLaX2xMQmqw[/youtube]

mario tavarez14 08-10-2012 02:30 AM

Congratulation in the maiden flight beautiful plane I love it the hawk will be my next project enjoy your beautiful bird

fifou313 08-10-2012 12:04 PM

Hello
I have planned to mount this amazing plane.
I have planned to mount a P180RX on it do you think is enough for the plane?
I have another question I have seen on you tube victor calvo vids who fly with this hawk with 2 P160SX. How can he mount 2 P160 in the hawk?
Thanks for your replys guys.
Best regards.
fifou

Carbon-Customs 08-10-2012 12:07 PM

the 180rx will work for the plane, look at the rear of the plane, looks kinda ackward...

schroedm 08-10-2012 12:11 PM

fifou

The 180RX will be very scale like in the flying. It's a very big draggy airframe so you'll probably be high up on the throttle a lot of the time but it should present very well in the air. You'll be a lot lighter to so you will also need to get used to good throttle usage to carry momentum through manoeuvres - when you reduce the throttle on this model it slows very very quickly.

I believe Victor has his 160s mounted on top of each other as I saw a video with such an exhaust configuration (like the English Electric Lightning) but this jet doesn't need that sort of thrust!

rgds
Mark

fifou313 08-10-2012 12:17 PM

hello Mark
Thanks a lot for your answer.
I think the same for victor's plane.
I think I will try with the P180 and I will see.
Regards.

roydefiant 08-12-2012 05:32 PM

Thinking about the new behotec 220 for my hawk. Does anyone know if there is a dealer in the US for this line?

smchale 08-12-2012 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: roydefiant

Thinking about the new behotec 220 for my hawk. Does anyone know if there is a dealer in the US for this line?
Peter at Altecare is your man. Great service and support.

http://www.altecare.com/turbines.htm

tobba 08-14-2012 02:23 AM

Chaps,

Could someone help me with the light format, colors and setup for the Hawk - seems I have lost my instructions and there seems to be some conflicting information online.

Wings tips: red and green static
Rear: White Static (not included in the kit)
Top of fuse: Red flashing (seems these are white on many models and white supplied in the Optotronix kit)
Bottom of fuse: Red flashing (seems these are white on many models and white supplied in the Optotronix kit)
Landing light: Comes on when flaps are deployed.

Thanks in advance.

tobba 08-14-2012 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A bit of progress on my Hawk.

Attached the air scoops and exhausts... not easy. Re made new exhausts out of glass sheet. I'm a bit of an ABS hater.

Finished off the hatch with some ply ribs and extra hysol.

Made some simple light ply and triangle balsa mounts to hold the rear lower fins in place. Mounts are glued in with the Fins being removable at present. Fins will be glued in after paint in final assembly - worked well and ended up nice and light.

Made some new carbon tank mounts to drop the rear of the tank down 25mm. Thanks Scott and Carsten for the heads up here - hopefully this will keep the fire burning on approach.

Mounted my servo doors slightly differently but keeping the same lock up geometry which should work well.

Made a access hole for the rudder attachment through the fuse side. Not a scale hole, but theres so many damn holes in this model I'm sure it wont get in the way.

tobba 08-14-2012 06:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more

jetpilot 08-14-2012 07:02 PM

Good Grief Tobba!! You really know how to make a guy feel like crap posting those pictures. I feel like the kid that can not color in the lines. Immaculate work!! Sickening!! Mine looks like a preschool got hold of it after looking at yours!!
Truely unbelieveable!
I think you have the lights correct. Some models have a white flashing top and white flashing bottom and others are red from what I have seen. I think painting the lens is the only thing necessary if your particular model has red. Changing out to red is the other option, but the red lights get really hot I have found.
I too am working on my lights. least fun part of whole build.
Finally received my new spring set. This is a really nice upgrade! Glad I *****ed about the old springs as mine Hawk 100 wouldnt even sit without squatting being completely empty!!
Nice work Tobba!!
Scott

tobba 08-14-2012 07:39 PM

Hey Scott - thanks for the message. Far to much time on the bench mate while you're out flying and winning events!!

Thanks for the notes on the lights. Agree I can't say I'm enjoying that part either. I might keep it simple and run with the white top and bottom. Have you seen anyone with a working tail light at the rear?

One more question - do you run the landing light separate mixed with flaps or does this stay on all the time?

Good to hear the springs are working. Thinking I am going to be heavier than most so this will be important for me.

Cheers,

jetpilot 08-14-2012 08:33 PM

Hey Tobba,
There are six slots on the programmer so running the rear light would be easy. I think one of the scale parts included in the kit simulates the rear light? be easy to modify and make actual light. I havent seen anyone do it but been thinking about doing it on the 100.
regarding the lights: My Hawks have the lights on a dial so that you can turn the headlight off or on. They all stay on except the headlight can be turned off or on. Actually they can all turn off too by turning dial all the way to left. During programming just set the activation points for all the lights, except the nose, at zero and then set the activation point for the headlight at full right on dial. I have mine on a dial so that at center, or zero, they are all on except headlight, and turn the dial to full right the headlight comes on.
I guess this could be programmed mixed in to flaps somehow.
When you are scrolling through which mode you want on programmer and find the seguence you want, just make sure the dial is in the position you want before holding down the menu for two seconds. this is the activation point. You could tell each light to come on at different activation points if you wanted.
manual says to program output 1-3 for flashers and 4-6 as permanent or landing lights. says it will identify the switching direction and adapt automatically.
make sense?
Scott

tobba 08-14-2012 08:38 PM

Hey Scott - thanks. Sounds clear but I'm missing the manual. Would you have any way of scanning and emailing me a copy?

Cant seem to find anything online to download. Wondering if i have an earlier model than you as I'm not sure how you would go about programming my unit...??

Cheers,

jetpilot 08-14-2012 09:38 PM

Sure!!
They are actually available online.
There is a menu button on the controller that is used to scroll through menu for programming.
http://download.optotronix.de/files/...ORA_LCU_EN.pdf
Scott

Carsten Groen 08-14-2012 11:20 PM

Craig!
I will have to make sure my Hawk does not see any pictures of your Hawk, otherwise I think it wil be ashamed :D
Your building style and attention to detail is out of this world, period!

Regarding the landinglight in the nose, mine switches on when gear is going down, and off when up. When the gear is up, I have a switch so I can switch it on (looks kinda cool when flying around with it on :D)

tobba 08-15-2012 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Carsten, your build looks great mate and I'm looking forward to seeing it flying next year! Mine will probably still be on the bench!

Scott cheers for the link. I followed your advice and am running two valves on the gear - one for the mains and one for the nose. The evo valves feel very solid. All sir in one place. 2 x gear, 1 x brake and 1 x chute.

tobba 09-02-2012 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little more detail at the back end - went for a white light for a little more bling.

Does anyone have any experience with Ralle's paint? About to order colours for the Indonesian Camo.

Cheers,

jetpilot 09-02-2012 10:46 PM

Very Nice Tobba!
I have used Ralle paint alot. He does a great job with getting correct paint and its good stuff!
Im waiting for some paint for mine now!! My build is finished!!
Scott