RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk 1: 3.5 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9345755-tomahawk-design-bae-hawk-1-3-5-a.html)

Alpenglider 09-02-2012 11:01 PM

RE: Tomahawk-Design Bae Hawk 1: 3.5

Hello you TH Bae Hawk lovers!

I am Thomas from Germany and i have followed this thread here from the beginning on.
What you guys make out of this kit is truly outstanding and gives lots of tricks and helps on the build.

After a long time if raising money for such a projekt, i really look forward to get my kit at Jetpower fair.
I went for the Hawk 100 wich i want to modify to a 127 from Australien Air Forces. Power will be provided by the new
Behotec 220 Turbine. This Turbine puts out about 22kg of thrust, but has the size and the weight of a 16kg thrust class engine (weight saving of about 1,6kg). I will use JR 8911 Servos all around, Powerbox SRS, Powerbox I-Gyro and Powerbox Lipos.
I also ordered the tank set from Marc Scully.

This thread here was very helpful to get all this information. Looking forward to the build :-)

Cheers

Thomas

jetpilot 09-03-2012 08:39 PM

Excellent choice Thomas!!
You will love it!
Scott

tobba 09-03-2012 09:07 PM

Scott - another builder to make me look like a slug... Any insight to what scheme you are planning for the 100?

I heard from Ralle today and he's mixing paint for me at the moment - I'm looking forward to getting underway.

Nice work Thomas, you will enjoy the build very much! Maybe I will have a chance to beat you into the air... maybe not!

Cheers,

Alpenglider 09-04-2012 09:08 PM

Hello Scott,

thank´s for your answer! I am sure you can tell, as you have them both :D

A few pages back i saw a pic of your Red Arrows Hawk on a very nice (self made?) stand.
This stand looks very good to me for working on the model; would it be possible to get a sketch with dimensions for it so i can build one myself?
Your help is very much appriciated!

Hello Tobba,

many thanks for your reply and your PN i have received!

Your build is the standard we are get mesured on - it will be very very hard to beat that ;)
At the end it does not matter who is in the air first, a well thought out build is just as much fun to watch as to see them fly.
I always say to myself - i got two hobbies: One is building them; and the other flying them.

Just make sure when you are in germany to get in touch with me, maybe we can meet and have a good time on the field ;)

Best regards

Thomas

tobba 09-07-2012 09:12 PM

Hi Thomas,

I'll do that - I've found two great flying fields within 20mins drive of Hamburg. The locals are very friendly so it seems I will have to pack up my 1.9 Futura for the trip. Theres a bit of red tape to jump regarding insurance etc but it will be worth it.

Cheers for the compliments - my paint is about to arrive from Ralle which has me excited...!

Enjoy your build. It would be great if you can keep us up to date.

Enjoy JP - i' am planning to be there next year.

Remco45 09-20-2012 12:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Windshield and forward Cockpit

After a busy summer Ã*t's time to continue the build.
As the cockpit instruments are not really 1:3.5 scale, I've decided to concentrate more on the parts which are directly visible from the outside.

All parts are to be removable, so cockpit side walls are fitted with balsa strips and velcro patches on the side, and small pieces of hardwood to enable screwing the bottom part in place using M1.6 bolts. The frame around the forward windshiled has been filled with PUR foam to make it more rigid and rests on top of the side walls and is fixed with one screw to a wooden post just forward of the windshield glass(not glued in yet). Thanks for the ideas Tobba!
The forward windshield is screwed in place with 4 M1.6 bolts. I've added some features like ventilation tubes, cover plates and screws, warning lights and a clock.

The HUD has been fitted with a green lens and some screws and nuts. It is attached to the windshield with the most forward screws. The front part of the HUD is fitted with velcro and will hold the forward instrument panel in place.

There are two fixtures left and right above the side panels: both are attached using thin velcro patches. The right one is a warning light fixture, but it was way too small, so I've made a new one. Finally, the instrument displays were fitted with dark green plastic glass.

Remco45 09-20-2012 01:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear cockpit
The rear cockpit windshield is strengthened with a wooden frame and is held in place by 6 M1.6 screws. This windshield also has some additions like the hollow part with a hand grip, the tube which goes up to the side of the HUD, two warning lights and a clock cover.

The HUD is fixed in the same way as the front HUD.

Remco45 09-20-2012 01:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ejection Seats
As you probably have seen on other pictures above, I've done some modifications to the ejection seats besides repainting.
The foam parts on the left and right side were not in the correct orientation, so they were taken off, rewoked and glued back into place.

The top part has some tubes added, made from 3 mm black tube, 2 mm alu tube and some nuts. The white parts were made from rond and flat dental floss.

Furthermore, I've bended the side panels outward and added the ejection handle (center) and the manual separation handle (right side of seat pan).

Note: the decals will not stick properly due to the matt paint, so I'll have to re-do them.

Remco45 09-20-2012 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ejection seat installation
To enable reasonably quick installation and removal, the foam part under the seat pan is held in place sideways by a balsa strip on the floor.
The forward seat will be fitted with a scale pilot (if I can find a good one :) and the rear two vertical plates are therefore strengthened a bit.
Halfway, a wooden plate mates with a pin extending form the forward edge of the raised rear floor.
Where the seat touches the frame of the rear windshield. two small wooden brackets protrude and the seat can be fastened using one long M3 screw.
An ABS tube just underneath the screw prevents crushing the seat side plates.

The rear seat is attached using only the balsa strip and the M3 screw which mates to similar brackets on a small strip (grey in the picture) which is held in place by one screw.

That's it for now.
Regards,
Remco45

tobba 09-20-2012 11:33 AM

Nice work remco!! Awesome detail.

I needed a shot of energy... off to the workshop.

tobba 09-20-2012 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A few shots of the rear end.

FenderBean 09-20-2012 08:04 PM

OMG I love that cockpit!!!

heraldoboldrin 10-12-2012 02:33 PM

what servos i should use in the front landing open door? a 170oz servo is enought?

heraldoboldrin 10-13-2012 01:04 PM

Guys, anyone has bought some parts from detail4scale recently?
I am having problem to receive my parts for my hawk after paying it 5 months ago.
40 days ago, Dan Answer my email saying that my parts will be send that week.. and nothing until now..

regards

Heraldo

schroedm 10-13-2012 01:15 PM

Hi Heraldo,

I'm waiting for some parts too. Was told 4-6 weeks max. That was 4 months ago. Dan continues to shoot himself in the foot. Last I heard he had "an upper respiratory infection".........

Great products, nice guy just bad business acumen. :eek:

tobba 10-13-2012 03:58 PM

I can beat that - 13 months and counting. Very nice chap, but struggles to hit a deadline. Not been well for the last year or so too which is a shame.

Marc I owe you some templates - sorry been rather busy myself. Still want them...?

jetpilot 10-14-2012 08:57 AM

Tobba,
What are the templates for?
I'm about to mout my pylons to my wings and feeling a little uncertain.
Scott

heraldoboldrin 10-16-2012 01:40 PM

Guys

How can I get a lot of pictures from Hawk Swiss chame to do it very detail? Maybe the scale book for competition.. ?

regards

Heraldo

schroedm 10-16-2012 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: tobba

I can beat that - 13 months and counting. Very nice chap, but struggles to hit a deadline. Not been well for the last year or so too which is a shame.

Marc I owe you some templates - sorry been rather busy myself. Still want them...?
Yes please!

Scott, they're really special templates you won't want :D :D

schroedm 10-16-2012 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

Tobba,
What are the templates for?
I'm about to mout my pylons to my wings and feeling a little uncertain.
Scott
Mate, why??? Done it on a few models - no probs. Message me.....

tobba 10-17-2012 01:00 PM

OK - I will try to get to them this weekend and send them through digitally next. Did you pick up your machine at JP... where are you at?

Scott, I have found a nice 3 view which shows the position of the wing pylons pretty clearly. Re install, Similar to Marc I think, I have used 30mm 3mm light ply discs with 3mm blind nuts pre glued in place to mount the pylons. I have drilled 4mm holes in the wing skins and pulled the discs through the wing with a piece of string. The discs are carefully pulled through with hysol already in place and pulled up against the inside of the wing skin. Makes for a strong patch with no area to re finish on the outside of the wing surface... had the run a 3mm tap through the holes to clear some glue once dry but all good.

Cheers,

Alpenglider 10-17-2012 10:04 PM

Hi Tobba; hi to all other Hawk lovers!

I picked up my Hawk 100 at Jetpower too; Marc did as well :-)

So far i could not spent much time on the Hawk as work is keeping me busy.
But i did have a good look on all parts and acessories which come with the kit.
Boy, there are a few pieces!

I also picked up the last tank set from Marc Scully at Jetpower, together with his header tank.
At home when checking the new tank, i was not overly happy how it was positioned. I heard of Scott and his problems when doing a longer landing aproach. Marc Scally recommended to me to modify the spars, so the tank will sit in a slight angle.

As i also have bought the tank from TH, an idea came to my mind. I used the spars and the rfp's to hold the tank from Marc S. but used the TH tank instead. This way the tank is mounted at a certain angle, and when the tank gets empty, the fuel always gatters in the lowest spot of the roundish tank base in the back. I hope you can understand my poor english? I better shot dome pics and post them here.

My landing gear will be converted to electric operation and breaking by a guy from Austria. He has done this modification already a few times for other Skygate/Tomahawk Hawks; so i know it will work well. As soon as i have the gear back, i will post some pics too.

And then i modyfied the elevator cover to represent the Australien Air Forces Hawk 127 LIF. First i intended to order the chute system from Details4scale, but as i have to look on the German weight limit, i decided to ad this later - if weight allowes it.

To be continued!

Cheers

Thomas

marc s 10-17-2012 10:45 PM

Thomas,

The tank and the position it is mounted in were to allow the Skygate Hawk fully ducted system I made to fit, in the TH large Hawk this is not available (full ducting) so you can play around with tank sizes etc to your hearts content. Inclining it fine as you have plenty of space.

marcs

Alpenglider 10-17-2012 11:15 PM

Hi Marc,

please dont get me wrong! Your tank set is a very good product and very well engineered.

I was just my personal preference to use the original more roundish tank.

And by selling your last tank to Geir made another guy lucky.
You are still my hero when it comes to unique special items for jets!

Cheers

Thomas

marc s 10-17-2012 11:30 PM

Thomas, no issues here just making sure people understand the concept behind the designs - as builders you are totally free to choose to do your own mods etc - its what I do too ;)

All the best.

marcs