RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Jetlegend Mig 29 Fulcrum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9457710-jetlegend-mig-29-fulcrum.html)

JohnMac 02-11-2012 12:25 AM

RE: Jetlegend Mig 29 Fulcrum

I have also added carbon cloth to the bottom of the rear fuselage for the same reason. I recognised at once that when the model was sat on tressles the rear fuselage tunnels deformed. I have not gone as far as Ian, just a 4 " wide band of 200gsm cloth right accross the fuselage and up the sides.
I plan to come up with a strengthening stratergy for the hatch area, but my original simple plan did not work out, so back to the drawing board.
John

carl.huxford125 02-11-2012 01:00 AM

I to have add some carbon cloth to the rear end, now it is very strong and does not deform when sitting on the stand.

I seem to have a different problem to everyone else, my pipe needs to go on top of the rails to line up with the exhaust, but this creates a lot of down thrust angle on the pipe, I was thinking of mounting the engine under the rails to get it to line up.

Ian Prentice 03-27-2012 01:01 PM

Well couldn't resist this tropical weather so finished early and maidened my Mig ! Wow flys like its on rails ! I had 2 great flights but found that one of my elevator servos won't centre and was shacking ! Hope to get another 8911 fitted for Elvington! Shame I was starting to enjoy myself !!

carl.huxford125 03-27-2012 04:19 PM

Congrats on the maiden, I am hoping to maiden mine on sunday if the weather holds out and i get it finished, just final set up and c/g to do.

JohnMac 03-27-2012 10:17 PM

Have you got new tailplanes yet Carl?

Ian Prentice 05-07-2012 07:13 AM

Hi guys a clip with smoke on over Elvington. Could do with a bigger smoke tank but will leave it for now !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE8Ga...e_gdata_player

Robrow 05-07-2012 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Ian Prentice

Hi guys a clip with smoke on over Elvington. Could do with a bigger smoke tank but will leave it for now !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE8Ga...e_gdata_player
Nice video Ian, I just upload a low quality one taken from the Flash. Converted an old Flash canopy to carry my old point and shoot Canon Powershot. Need to get back to using proper smoke fluid and need to think of a better way of filming without the distorted canopy view.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiHjd...1&feature=plcp

Rob.

Robrow 05-07-2012 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some pics of your maiden on Sunday Carl.

Rob.

Geoff White 05-07-2012 12:43 PM

I don't know who is concentrating more in that middle photo....John Mac or Jeff Sewell or indeed Carl!

carl.huxford125 05-07-2012 12:48 PM

Cheers Rob, started stripping out the landing gear to try as sort the gear problem out and get rid of the crappy 2mm airline.

Robrow 05-07-2012 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Geoff White

I don't know who is concentrating more in that middle photo....John Mac or Jeff Sewell or indeed Carl!
Yep, would do well in a caption competition...answers on a postcard.

Rob.

carl.huxford125 05-07-2012 01:11 PM

I really need to start shaving more:D, i think everyone was just trying to see if i actually had any nose wheels left after seeing one roll down the runway on take off[:@]

dubd 12-22-2012 09:57 AM

How has this plane been holding up for you guys?

Aussie Bart 12-22-2012 09:38 PM

Mine is still sweet as, super reliable and a pleasure to fly. Had it in 15 knt cross winds last week without any issues.

Jim Cattanach 12-22-2012 10:05 PM

Are you guys just using the ailerons for roll, or have you mixed in some aileron with the elevators?

JohnMac 12-23-2012 12:35 AM

+30% ailereron in the tail on mine. Much sharper in the roll.
I am awaiting a new style noseleg for mine. I have had problems with mine retracting in the air. Fortunately it has always come down. JL are replacing mine with the newer style with a locking cylinder. This has worked fine on the mains.
Otherwise the model has been pretty good. Simple and straighforward to fly, though not particularly fast. I wish JL would do some ordnance for this model.
John

Jim Cattanach 12-23-2012 01:10 AM

Thanks for that John. I lost my Mig 29 some time ago.
I am seriously considering another one soon.

JohnMac 12-23-2012 03:36 AM

Sorry to hear that Jim. It is agreat flying machine. Possibly the easiest jet to land ever. It even make Jeff look good:D

Chris Nicastro 12-23-2012 01:17 PM

From all of the photos I see it looks like the elevators are horizontal. Is this true? There is no anhedral?

dubd 12-23-2012 04:18 PM

I'm glad that the gear got sorted. What are you guys using for power?

JohnMac 12-24-2012 02:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Chris Nicastro

From all of the photos I see it looks like the elevators are horizontal. Is this true? There is no anhedral?
Correct. This is a semi-scale model. It looks like a MIG 29 but in a lot of detail it is incorrect.The most obvious example of this is it is a single engine model. There is no way that this would be possible if the model were true scale. However, since most of us want a jet just to fly and have fun with, and not to enter competitions with, I think that this is a good compromise, and one that results in a very light and good flying model.
I am using a seven year old Merlin 160 Mk1 in mine.
Excellent combination.
John

Chris Nicastro 12-24-2012 05:28 AM

Thanks John,

Im a big Mig 29 fan and I always keep an eye out for them at any size. There are only a couple out there that I would call scale. I understand your point too but my problem is Im a scale nut so if its not right it will bug me...lol, then I want to fix it... And so on.

More pics and vids!

Jim Cattanach 12-24-2012 05:47 AM

John. I have ordered another Mig29 in the custom Yemen camo scheme & a Phantom F4 in the Thunderbirds scheme from Jeff. A Christmas present to myself.

JohnMac 12-24-2012 06:01 AM

Chris I understand,
To make this model scale would be a huge effort. The wing is slightly the wrong shape (though not by much) but the section is nothing like a real Mig. It is a vey fat section which limits the models speed. The tailplane does not have the swept pivot system, let alone the lack of anhedral.
The list goes on and on. So it's not really a scale model.
On the other hand, JL have tackled a popular but difficult to model prototype in a pragmatic way, and at a good price point. There are a few issues (which ARTF doesn't?) but it is worth persevering, due to the way it flies.
In my loft I have a bare airframe of a Mig 29 from the Ukrainian kit. This is 100% scale. When I get around to this model there will be a huge amount of work to build it, but it will fly as well as the JL model as well as being faster. I will probably use a set of JL undercarriage if it will fit.
Besides this model and the CARF version, I do not know of any other scale mig 29's.
John

EUROSPORT JET IRELAND 12-24-2012 06:35 AM

John
Skymaster have a very nice Mig 29, also Fly Eagle Jet have two sizes of the Mig 29, the detail on these models is very good and looks very scale.
Regards
John