RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   Jetlegend Mig 29 Fulcrum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9457710-jetlegend-mig-29-fulcrum.html)

Aussie Bart 12-26-2010 12:42 AM

RE: Jetlegend Mig 29 Fulcrum

ORIGINAL: F15driver

Bart,

Thanks for the explanation on the icon showing the hydraulic setup. in researching the Festo valve in their catalog here in the US, their picture shows the manifold with two valves facing downward like yours but no valve on the end. I gather you've added this Festo connection. Do you have a part # for it as well? Also can you show exactly how you connect the hydraulic lines to these 3 valves? Are the 4mm/3mm reducers installed just below the 2 downward pointed Festos? Sorry for all the questions but as you pointed out earlier, one needs to be in this line of business for it to make sense.

Thanks for your help.

Rob
Rob

Yep, there is a "Push Fit" fitting (QSM-M5-3) screwed into the end of the pilot check valve and the other ports which are 4 mm standard are reduced with QSM-4H-3 reducers. The Pilot Check Valve assembly (as delivered) has 3 ports, one is threaded M5 and the other 2 have push in connectors to suit 4mm tube.

When you are talking to your suppliers, just be careful with your teminology, us hydraulic types are not real bright!! and we get confused real quick. The HGL M5 QS-4 is the valve, the fittings on the valve are ports, so when you talk to your friendly Festo supplier, just get them to help you set up the Valve with the correct adaptors to get the ports down to 3 mm tubing.

Aussie Bart 12-26-2010 12:49 AM

ORIGINAL: ianober

Also where did you guys buy you HGL M5 QS-4 manifolds from? I have found plenty of data on them but no easy source to order them from.
I can play the dumb Aussie here as I have no idea where some of you guys are located in the states, but I would have thought that if you talk to Todd at Dreamworks he should be able to order in the parts you need, he seems to be a strong Festo supplier http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=41, other than that go to http://www.festo.com/net/en-us_us/sa...s/default.aspx and look for support in your city, but I reckon Todd is still the better bet, at least he understands what a turbine is.....

Jim Cattanach 12-26-2010 06:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Aussie Bart

Rob/John

UMS controller capacitor seems to be the culprit as I had suspected earlier, all of my units are at least 12 months old and have never failed but they are also fitted with the 10u 35 volt caps as standard.

The UMS valve (in my cases) really does not seem to take much power to move. I tend to use the Bluebird thin wing digital servo that is rated at 5 kgs/cm. The piano wire link I use from the servo arm to the valve spool is fitted right next to the hub of the servo horn and maybe 10 mm (1 cm) distance out from the horn screw which give a theoretical force of 5 kgs. Because the spool movement is so short, you need to keep the servo arm attachment as short as possible anyway. I like the idea of John Mac about using the retract servo, I might try that on the F14 when I fit that out.

As mentioned earlier, once you fit the Festo Pilot Check Valves your main will become rock hard, just try and remember to put some safety wire or similar on the tube where ever it goes over a barbed fitting. The reason the mains feel softer compared to the nose is the angle the cylinder sits on and therefore the force ratio it can achieve. With the Festo valves, my Mig sits on its mains for literally weeks (and has no reason to ever leak down), I actually end up with flat spots on the tires....

As for the manifold arrangement of the valve, it is already set up with the 3 ports, I also fitted 4 mm to 3 mm reducers on each port to allow the tube fit up. If you have a look at my earlier post at the top of this page there are 5 photo's (scroll across), I am not sure why but the 5th photo seems to be just an icon that you need to click on, this photo is actually the hydraulic circuit showing just how these valves are set up and work, I hope you guys can see this ok, if not let me know and I will try and post again.

Like most of you, I would be really keen to see if JL have resolved this problem although it seems that no one has any idea if the ''upgrade'' even exists. I was going to buy the SU27 and although I know how to fix the gear (it has the same setup as the Mig), in principal I won't buy it until I know they have addressed the issue because from where I sit they continue to sell aircraft with UC that is guaranteed to fail and they don't care.

I hope you all have a merry Christmas and behave yourselves, unfortunately I have to tell you that during this holiday season I will have to fly my Mig in this glorious Aussie weather on retracts that work just oh so sweet.

My friend Mario has the SU27 & has many flights on it now & the gear is working perfectly. I don't know if it is the same gear as the Mig29.

F15driver 12-27-2010 07:52 AM

Bart,

I've got my enquiry into Todd at Dreamworks re. the Festo valves and should hear from him shortly. In the meantime could you outline for me what lines go to what ports on the valve? That would be most helpful, either by description or by a drawing.

Much appreciated,
Rob
F15driver

Aussie Bart 12-27-2010 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Bart,

I've got my enquiry into Todd at Dreamworks re. the Festo valves and should hear from him shortly. In the meantime could you outline for me what lines go to what ports on the valve? That would be most helpful, either by description or by a drawing.

Much appreciated,
Rob
F15driver
The valves come with a good data sheet showing port numbers & connections, I have also marked up my other circuit with the port numbers for you. I did however notice a small mistake with a part number I posted earlier for the fitting that screws onto the pilot check valve, the correct part number is QSMF-M5-3. This has a female M5 thread as the piloy cheack has an M5 Male thread.

F15driver 12-27-2010 11:13 PM

Heard back from Dreamworks today and they will not be a supplier for the HGL M5 QS-4 check valve due to small quantities involved. They carry everything else we need available on their website. I also have a query into Festo USA so will see if they might be a supplier in limited quantities. Has anyone else come up with a US supplier? Ian? Edgar?

Rob
F15driver

johnls 12-27-2010 11:18 PM

Hi Rob,
There must be someone in the USA that can supply. I did a google search for a supplier in the UK. If you have no luck my supplier would probably post to you. http://www.kiowa.co.uk/Festo_Pneumatics.
Product Code: EF530038

John

Aussie Bart 12-27-2010 11:32 PM

Heard back from Dreamworks today and they will not be a supplier for the HGL M5 QS-4 check valve due to small quantities involved. They carry everything else we need available on their website. I also have a query into Festo USA so will see if they might be a supplier in limited quantities. Has anyone else come up with a US supplier? Ian? Edgar?

Rob
F15driver
Rob

Any local Hydraulic or Pneumatic company should be able to supply without any problems, where this falls short is that not all your local companies will be a Festo distributor and therefore they will end up charging a bit higher, just grab your yellow pages and have a quick ring around.

I live in a regional town of 14,000 people, 2.5 hours from Melbourne. There are 3 Hydraulic companies in my town (I have one of them) and another 5 companies within less than 1 hours drive and every one of those companies can supply these valves, just at different prices. If I go to Melbourne there are another 60 companies..... You guys are more than 10 times bigger than us (we are still the best country though)!!!!!

Hope you can find someone to look after you.....

Edgar Perez 12-28-2010 04:03 AM

I will see what I can find. In the meantime, you can go, the local Fest distributor can be found [link=http://www.festo.com/net/en-us_us/salescontacts/default.aspx]here[/link]

Just to confirm. This is what we need:
Valve = HGL M5 QS-4 Qty = 1
Fittings = QSMF-M5-3 Qty = 1
Reducers = QSM-4H-3 Qty = 2

right?

Edgar Perez 12-28-2010 08:11 AM

These guys may have them [link=http://www.ebatmus.com/index.html]E.B. Atmus[/link]

Edgar Perez 12-28-2010 08:23 AM

By the way, Yang of JL fame has purportedly sent me the upgraded parts for the landing gear system. Did you catch the phrase ''upgraded''? The charge is $40 for the upgrade as he maintains the original system works just fine and these new parts are customer requested upgrades. The PR fiasco at Jet Legend continues unabated! My dealer agreed to split this cost with me so the upgrades will only cost $20. Thank you Monica
Regards,
Rob
F15driver
Rob,
Are you going to try the new air parts from JL? I just got word from my dealer that JL is still experimenting trying to found out a reliable method.

i3dm 12-28-2010 08:34 AM

my JL Mig-29 will be here tommorow morning, and i was promised it has all the new LG parts.

ianober 12-28-2010 10:02 AM

Those last 2 posts sounded a little contradicting. Not sure what to believe right now, have they or have they not found a fix?

John, I am still looking for an easy source for these valves. I didn't think Todd would be able to help since they are kind of a special item when it comes to the R/C world. I did find one on eBay but it did not have the 4mm push in fittings.

i3dm 12-28-2010 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: ianober

Those last 2 posts sounded a little contradicting. Not sure what to believe right now, have they or have they not found a fix?

John, I am still looking for an easy source for these valves. I didn't think Todd would be able to help since they are kind of a special item when it comes to the R/C world. I did find one on eBay but it did not have the 4mm push in fittings.
i only quote what i have been told from Yang by Email. i have not seen the plane yet, it should be here tommorow morning.

ianober 12-28-2010 11:49 AM

Lior, please post your cylinders and internals when you get them. I have a feeling that the "fix" was to change materials and not design. I think that was discussed in this thread already and was noted that it would prolong gear life but not ultimately solve the problem.

F15driver 12-28-2010 01:08 PM

Edgar,

I just wanted to see what JL came up with in the way of repair. I'm committed to going the hydraulic route. Have located a source for the HGL M5 QS-4 check valve here in TX. They carry both the check valve and the 3mm QSMF M5-3 connector. The company I spoke with in Allen, TX (Shepherd Controls) said the Festo NY distributor is closed this week but will return next week to ship my order for the 3 check valves. The 3 mm connectors are backordered and will not be received by the NY distributor until around January 13. The cost of the check valve was $ 38.42 and the connectors are about $3.10 apiece for a package of 10. Shepherd's phone # is 972-727-7300. Dreamworks told me they would not special order these items because of the low volume. Shepherd didn't seem to have this problem.

Rob
F15driver

Edgar Perez 12-28-2010 02:36 PM

Hi Rob,

Found a source in Florida. I need to check the HGL # in case I order.

Denise E. Pickrell
Inside Sales
Florida Motion & Control
A Division of Orlando Hose & Fittings
5627 Commerce Drive
Orlando, FL 32839
P - 407 851 3536
F - 407 859 6821

Part# 530029 (HGL-M5-B) $43.21 ea - 1 week

The following are sold in multiples of 10 only and are priced per piece
10 - Part# 153031 (QS-4) $3.35 ea - 1 week
10 - Part# 153309 (QSMF-M5-3) $3.14 ea - 1 week
10 - Part# 153329 (QSM-6H-4)$3.35 ea - 2-3 weeks

I just send you a PM to see if we can make a group buy...

jeff sewell 12-28-2010 02:42 PM

I have recieved the first mains upgrade U/C from JL - basically they've added another cylinder that locks the top section; looks like a small retract unit. Anyway, it seems to work well. The nose upgrade is just another cylinder that seems to lock with pressure, i.e. no mechanical lock. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can...

Jeff

i3dm 12-28-2010 04:07 PM

Jeff,

Does that mean the old inner mechanical locks are cancelled all together ?

F15driver 12-28-2010 04:16 PM

Ian,

If we locate timely suppliers for the various check valves and connectors, would you be interested in sharing an order with Edgar and me? Basically, we would place a combined order for 1 bag of connectors and 9 check valves. I would then mail both you and Edgar 3 of each and charge you my out-of-pocket cost. The Y connectors and hydraulic line can be purchased directly from Dreamworks at you convenience. Let me know if this makes sense - I'll do the leg work.

Regards,
Rob

ianober 12-28-2010 05:52 PM

Sure Rob, I would be ok with that. Let me know if and when it happens.

F15driver 12-29-2010 02:31 AM

Bart,

Now that we're getting the hydraulic portion of the retract system worked out, I have a question for you on your set-up of the pneumatic side of your system. First, are you using an electronic unit for your doors or a UPS system? Are you closing one of the doors when the gear is down? If an electronic system, which brand? Are you happy with it? Reliable?

How many flights on your Mig at this juncture? What turbine are you using? Any comments on the flying characteristics of the Mig? Any tendency to snap? Are you using the CG recommended by JL or did you move it backward?

As always, Bart, your comments and insight on this airplane are appreciated.

Rob
F15driver

i3dm 12-29-2010 03:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Mig-29 has arrived and its big and beautiful !!

here are some pics of the new LG parts...
Note the clean routing of the air lines - very nice job by JL.

JohnMac 12-29-2010 04:28 AM

Hey Jeff,
Any news on mine??:D

i3dm 12-29-2010 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more pics...