RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   WOW! - "First in Flight" Jet Rally - Wilson, NC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9625265-wow-%22first-flight%22-jet-rally-wilson-nc.html)

Eaglepilot2 06-01-2010 02:05 PM

RE: WOW! -

Robert, Larry, and Mike and all the others that were involved. Thanks for a great event in our own back yard. It felt good to blow the dust off my old F-15! You guys pulled off another great show that promises to be yet another premier jet event on the east coast! I wish I had had more time to spend with you guys and hopefully when the little guy gets a year or two older I'll have an excuse to fly every weekend or "he'll have an excuse" to take daddy with him!!!!!! Great job guys!

Mike

nexuscrash 06-01-2010 03:02 PM

Agreed, Garry and his daughter did a great job capturing the Jet Event.

On another note, I am "walking the woods" tomorrow 6/2 @ 9 AM to hopefully recover my Sabre.

Between my flyover with the heli yesterday and google earth today, I have a good plan of attack on where it might be. If interested email me ([email protected]).

Thanks,

Michael

RC Larry-RCU 06-01-2010 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Having problems posting pics for some reason. Lets try this again!!!

Der Goetz 06-01-2010 04:31 PM

I know that kit....thats a 10cc 2-stroke, 20 inch wingspan and it has organic retracts.
The exhaust is quite smelly at times and it is known to drop stuff ...

jthomas235 06-01-2010 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: S HARRIS

Got in earlier today and just able to sit down. To Robert, Larry and the rest of the Gang, WOW!!!!! You have a great everything, as others have mentioned. Glad to see the locals supporting your event. This one works out great for me since I have family very close by (Mom and Bro). Will become an annual event for me. Hope to drag some buds along next year. I'll start working on them soon.;) And what are the chances of spotting a JetCat from the air?? Really cool ending to a sad story. :eek: Hey John, let us know what you figure out about that turbine/crash? Hope that Sabre is located soon also. Pete, '' What did you do to your hand?'' LOL (inside joke,poor guy must have been asked a million times). Great putting faces with names of you East Coast flyers. Good bunch of guys for sure. Till next FIF! Scott
Having some of the best in the business look over the wreckage, it appears the tail pipe failed in flight, filling the fuse with hot exhaust to the point the stab became flexible. My original thoughts were that the turbine blew up and was ejected from aircraft prior to impacting ground and the reason we could not locate it close to crash site. Justin entered the program of my ECU and could see where I pulled the power back to idle and then where I pulled the trim back, killing the turbine on its way down. Fortunately this happened during a split S, away from the crowd and I had enough time to shut down the turbine prior to impact.

Many commented on the cool sound the Dragon made on fly bys. I believe this had allot to do with the pipe failure. The air rushing through the fuselage due to front retract cover being removed (I believe) caught up with me. The aircraft had over 60 flights in this configuration. The turbine will be in my hands tomorrow and I'll build another. Leaving the front door off is in the air. If I do, the pipe attachment points will be beefed up.

Thanks again Micheal, Larry and all the others who helped find my missing 160SX!!

John Thomas
North Augusta, SC

RC Larry-RCU 06-02-2010 11:28 AM

For whatever reason, I cant post more than one pic at a time on here. So,, I loaded all of my pics on a disc and gave to Robert last night. He'll post them later for me.

HEY!!! I saw a LOT of cameras pointing at people and planes all weekend. Lets start getting those cool shots posted in here soon! ;)

RobertV 06-02-2010 03:09 PM

The problem is that each of your images is 2mb! RCU takes a maximum of 10mb per upload. So I'll resize the images and will upload later.

RobertV 06-02-2010 04:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here's the photos from the Lewis camera:

Pics 1

RobertV 06-02-2010 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics 2

RobertV 06-02-2010 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics 3

RobertV 06-02-2010 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics 4

RobertV 06-02-2010 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics 5

RobertV 06-02-2010 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics 6

RobertV 06-02-2010 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics 7

RobertV 06-02-2010 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics 8

RobertV 06-02-2010 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics 9

RobertV 06-02-2010 04:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pics 10

RobertV 06-02-2010 04:55 PM

So there's the photo artistry of Larry and Jacqui Lewis. Nice work!

RobertV 06-02-2010 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since North Carolina is the "First in Flight" state where manned flight began and the namesake for our jet rally, we wanted to do something special that celebrated the spirit of the Wright Brothers' unbelievable accomplishment. We decide that we would only officially present one award at this event and that the award was to be something very special that everyone in attendance would love to earn and be very proud to display.

What we came up with was the beautiful "Wright Stuff" award (see picture 1 below), that was presented to "a registered pilot who demostrates the spirit of the Wright Brothers through innovation, ability, enthusiasm, flying skill, or anything that advances the hobby or aviation in general". This was voted on by secret ballots from registered pilots.

The winner of this coveted award for this year was none other than Dustin Buescher. And it was very fitting since Dustin not only demostrated considerable flying skill, but gladly helped many others with programming, setup, and flying their machines in addition to his duties in support of BVM. It's a real honor to be chosen by your peers and this really indicates the respect that Dustin has earned on the event circuit. Congratulations!

Picture 2 shows the award presentation photo. Pictured are (l to r) Gronna Jones (WO3 airport manager), Michael Hollowell (event organizer/air boss), Dustin Buescher (with daughter Emma), Larry Lewis (event organizer/ CD), and Robert Vess (event organizer/announcer).

causeitflies 06-02-2010 08:33 PM

Looks like a good time.
How many pilots attended?

RobertV 06-02-2010 08:59 PM

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

Looks like a good time.
There were 70 registered pilots and many more RC-types who just came to watch. And we had a great public attendance, especially on Saturday.

afterburner 06-02-2010 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

Looks like a good time.
I believe we had 70 registered pilots.

Marty

You beat me to it[:@]

hooker53 06-02-2010 09:57 PM

I'll tell ya how much I enjoyed it with a question. Is that airport available this fall??? Hee Hee. God-hope I didn't start something!!! Great show Robert and the entire gang.

meps 06-03-2010 07:45 AM

Sure was a great show. For those of you that couldn't make it this year, be sure to put it on your calendar for next year.
Steve

JZimpson 06-03-2010 02:01 PM

Do you know where all the videos of the event are located. I was there in person and am dying to SEE the vids. The ones I took SUCK!