RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   turbine prices (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9670582-turbine-prices.html)

BobH 04-19-2010 08:26 AM

RE: turbine prices

Just think, no profit motive, no reward for your work, no nothing. What that breeds is.. nothing!
Who in their right mind is going to work years and years, take the financial risk ect. only to make little or nothing?

We have these engines because someone can make a profit, period!

Most of the DA type Mfgs. don't make the bulk of their money on the hobby industry they make it selling engines to the Govt. The UAV industry is a big consumer.

Would I like say a new Jet Cat 60 for $1500? YEAH.. who wouldn't but thats just not realistic :)

basimpsn 04-19-2010 09:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cost completely justified. I personally watch a well known turbine engine builder. Days of hit and miss trying to have a stable running engine at 30 # or 40 # of thrust. Lots of damage or modified turbine wheels and compressor failed to go above 22 # toss out witch I gladly grab :D.

P.S This is what I pick up out of many boxies, after they went under [&o]

GerKonig 04-19-2010 09:24 AM

I do not fly jets, but I asked myself the same question, and then I read somewhere that there are like 5,000 people that have a turbine waiver (or whatever they call it). Well, I am surprised the prices are not higher... The market is very limited. There are a lot of suppliers, but the costs of these suppliers must be high because of the limited market.
You bet the markup is hefty:-) As an "ousider" (lifetime rc pilot, but not into jets) another thing that surprised me is the disparity of the prices of some of the kits, and I will not name the most expensive guy:-)

I think it all boils down to what value the buyer "perceives" (real, or created by a marketing department) in the the product, and how much he/she is willing to pay for something. As long as people pay what the suppliers ask, and the suppliers sell their goods, it is a gree light that tells the suppliers the price level is fine...

Gerry

rcpete2 04-19-2010 10:16 AM

At this time,right now,Iam very glad that cost so much.

RobinLeblond 04-19-2010 11:02 AM

RcPete, why ?

bahamadude 04-19-2010 03:24 PM

Even though turbine prices are considerably high, as more manufactures get in on the market I am sure prices will go down.
Also technology, as always increases.

In order to increase a demand of a product, someone will eventually find a cheaper way to manufacture one. So those people who sitting on the fence and waiting for prices to go down may eventually have their day.

I remember when a local guy bought one of those early turbines when they first came out. Dags it was really expensive !!

He shell out many dollars for one of those, and the quality wasnt no where near what we have today.

joeflyer 04-19-2010 04:25 PM

I read somewhere that there are like 5,000 people that have a turbine waiver
That's way off. According to the list on the AMA website there are about 1500 turbine waiver holders.

Kelly Rohrbach 04-19-2010 04:49 PM

If Kingtight took the time and his own money to bring one to market and then sit on them until they sell he could have answered his own question and not started this dumb thread.

kingtight 04-19-2010 04:54 PM

Gerkonig,
Now you are beginning to bring it home;) very well put....... thats the angle I was looking at. There you go thats what Im talking about

bcovish 04-19-2010 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Kelly Rohrbach

If Kingtight took the time and his own money to bring one to market and then sit on them until they sell he could have answered his own question and not started this dumb thread.
BINGO!!

kingtight 04-19-2010 04:58 PM

Kelly Rohrbach,
I see you are a BVM rep I dont expect any positive comment about prices from you, because your boss has been taking people to the cleaners also:(

Gordon Mc 04-19-2010 05:04 PM

One point that no-one seems to have touched on so far ... I actually want my chosen brands to make a decent profit on their endeavors.

A manufacturer who trims his profit margin too thin, is one who is not going to still be around in a year or two to provide me with support, repairs, etc.

Gordon

G4guy 04-19-2010 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: kingtight

Kelly Rohrbach,
I see you are a BVM rep I dont expect any positive comment about prices from you, because your boss has been taking people to the cleaners also:(
Yeah, I have seen Mr. Violet or their Reps walking around every Jet meet holding guns to everyone's head to make them buy their products.

If you can afford it, you will buy it. If you can't, you can complain. Capitalism and freedom of speech,,,,,, pretty cool ideas.

What do you do for a living, if I can be so bold to ask? How much do you charge for your services? Is it too much? [X(]

bahamadude 04-19-2010 05:54 PM

I believe kingtight really is saying some of the prices we pay for rc stuff just seems un real or impratical. Just because we got the money doesnt justify that its worth the price.

Or like someone above says :
I think it all boils down to what value the buyer "perceives" (real, or created by a marketing department) in the the product, and how much he/she is willing to pay for something. As long as people pay what the suppliers ask, and the suppliers sell their goods, it is a gree light that tells the suppliers the price level is fine...

kingtight 04-19-2010 05:56 PM

Im a used newspaper vendor[X(]

siclick33 04-19-2010 05:59 PM

As well as the cost of materials and the labour required to build the engines and the huge cost of R&D in terms of time, materials and expertise, these small companies also have to pay the rent for their workshops, the electricity bill, the telephone bill, the wages of the people that answer the phone etc. This is a business for them and they need to make a living, not just get a bit of pocket money while they play around in their workshop. I would think that most of these companies do not have much 'profit' after paying ALL the bills.

I'm interested to know Kingtight, how much do you think would be a fair price? I feel quite happy in the knowledge that these things are available at a price that I can afford, as I don't have the time, skill or knowledge to build these engines from scratch in my workshop. If these companies weren't making these products available then I would have to go without so, to me, I think they are incredible value for money.

BobH 04-19-2010 06:04 PM

I think the Bahamma sun has had a deliterious effect on some peoples brain.. Kingtight has no interest in information.. just his silly opinion.

kingtight 04-19-2010 06:27 PM

I still refer to my original question do they have to be priced so high to make a profit ? but I see most folks here can care less if they are overpriced for a product.Not because I buy a product for a particular price it means I was not overcharged or I paid a fair price for it.Dont get confused I enjoy and purchase these RC products also and I will be taking the plunge with a turbine soon.But I was really thinking because All the electric flyers know well the lipo battery price story.

tp777fo 04-19-2010 06:31 PM

Want to save money..go buy yourself a Jet Legend F-20 and Jet Joe turbine. Have fun!

siclick33 04-19-2010 06:33 PM

What figures do you have to back up your claim that they are overpriced (or are you just guessing)?

qnel 04-19-2010 06:39 PM

RCFlyerDan had the most intelligent and rational answer to this conundrum. However, at the end of it all it is personal preference and your ability to buy it. It is dictated by market demand and marketing such service and salesmanship. We can site examples forever and it will never end...just do it...for example.

Mike06659 04-19-2010 06:40 PM

If anyone is interested I have a nice refurbished JetCat P-80 for sale with 0 time on it.
Will post in classifieds soon.
Let me know.

Thanks,
Mike

kingtight 04-19-2010 07:18 PM

Tp77fo,
these threads are probably on some fast turbine engine because you keep missing it over your head,Its not about saving money [:'(]

tp777fo 04-19-2010 07:41 PM

One of the bad things about any forum is that some flake starts a worthless thread with stupid statements then argues with everyone. There is only one head in this forum that is misplaced..everyone knows where it is but you.

LGM Graphix 04-19-2010 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: kingtight

I still refer to my original question do they have to be priced so high to make a profit ? but I see most folks here can care less if they are overpriced for a product.Not because I buy a product for a particular price it means I was not overcharged or I paid a fair price for it.Dont get confused I enjoy and purchase these RC products also and I will be taking the plunge with a turbine soon.But I was really thinking because All the electric flyers know well the lipo battery price story.

Let's put it this way, in the past 10 years, turbine prices have dropped DRAMATICALLY. 10 years ago you paid almost $5000 for a 17lb thrust engine, now there are companies out there producing those engines for under 2K. However, 10 years ago when I bought my first turbine, I looked at building one, I ended up buying one because for me to build a turbine, even with a tool and die shop at my disposal, I wouldn't have saved any money to build one, and in the end, I'd end up with an engine that may or may not run.

So you can argue that engines are overpriced, or you can realize that this is a hobby, it's entire value is based on disposable income. Ok, so a turbine engine costs more than a Chevy 350, and it's far smaller. Well, so does a Harley engine, yet an S&S 124 by the time all is said and one will cost you 8K in your bike and it STILL won't do 200mph. Can you say RV? Turbine jets are nothing more than a recreational vehicle, being powered with an engine that does not appeal to the MASSES. A Chevy 350 would cost $100,000 if the market was as small as the turbine community.
When I look at the RC hobby in general, I think the pricing is silly, but having said that, I think it's a bargain compared to what it used to be. Remember when a basic 4 channel proportional radio system cost $400????? Remember when a top of the line ducted fan jet used to cost $5000 or $6000 to get in the air?
I'm not complaining about the price of turbines, of course I'd like them to be lower, but man, having worked in that industry, I know what the machines cost, what the programming cost is, materials etc. For the small number of turbine engines out there in this world, I'm happy they are as inexpensive as they are!