RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Jets (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/)
-   -   BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-jets-120/9883219-boomerang-elan-new-build-setup-thread.html)

Meesh 08-07-2012 06:27 AM

RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Thanks Mike!

Charlie H. 08-07-2012 11:43 AM

HI Guys
Has anybody set up a Elan yet with the P-100 ? Was wondering about the the equipment layout for the CG. I'm stepping up from my Sprint to the Elan.

Thanks
Charlie

mjunior 08-07-2012 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie H.

HI Guys
Has anybody set up a Elan yet with the P-100 ? Was wondering about the the equipment layout for the CG. I'm stepping up from my Sprint to the Elan.

Thanks
Charlie
Charlie,

I did it with a Wren 100 which has the same size of a P-100 but has more ancilaries. I posted a few pics in the thread in previous pages. There is also pictures in a portuguese language forum (http://www.e-voo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132082).
I also installed a smoke system. I also moved from a Sprint to an Elan and I can tell you that there is a lots of space in the Elan for a P-100.

Mucio

Eric L Smith 08-08-2012 12:52 AM

Hi Charlie

I am using a JetCat P100RX in my Elan and had problems getting the CG correct I ended up with 2 x A123 packs infront of the fuel tank and the ECU battery under the tank with all other accs forward. it is great, I now have a second Elan and found that the weight of the mouldings vary, On the second Elan I have the ECU battery as far forward as possible to get the balance. Both models will just sit on their tail booms with dry tanks.

Cheers

Eric<br type="_moz" />

Charlie H. 08-08-2012 07:26 AM

Thanks guys ! Eric what size A123 did you use ?

gooseF22 08-09-2012 05:00 AM

Go back in the other thread and look at my build (red radio tray) circa (2007).. wren super sport.. gotta keep the weight back... It had 2 A123's.. to use light motors, either the batteries or other stuff had to go under the main fuel cell.. I move the turbine battery to a tray right behind the main tank, and the ECU under that.. fuel pump/smoke pump under the main tank

In this one, I moved the CAT Trap under there too, which allowed me to put batts more forward.. this motor is a little heavier tho..

If I were doing a small block Wren or P100, I would put the ECU right down on the gear wells behind the tank, put the pumps under the main tank, turbine batt behind the main tank, Trap either under or in hold, then Batts would proabalby end up in the hole or right under the main tank area.. velcro to the side.. depends on the cell weight.. Im saying A123's 2300's..

If using Lipos, I saw a buddy velcro them to the forward face of the fuel tank.. looked fine..cleared canopy fine..

Charlie H. 08-09-2012 07:17 AM

Thanks Goose, good stuff !

VF84sluggo 10-17-2012 04:10 PM

Hey Gang,

I'm thinking of putting a P120 in an Elan I just got. But, a preliminary fit of the engine mount looks like quite a bit of cutting/Dremel-ing will be needed. I've looked through this thread, and while it is possible that I may have missed it, I see where folks have managed to cram a P120 into the Elan, but I didn't see any pics of the installation, or tips/tricks/suggestions on making a P120 fit.

Any help here will be appreciated!

Sluggo

Countryboy 10-17-2012 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here a few photos. Not overly difficult, but you will have to adjust for the JC offset mount.

VF84sluggo 10-17-2012 06:18 PM

Thanks for the pics. Couple of questions:

Did you have to cut/Dremel the turbine mount rails to make room for the width of the 120? Did you need to cut away some of the fuselage formers in the engine bay? And how did you solve the Jetcat offset mount issue?

Thanks for your help!

Randy

PaulD 10-17-2012 06:45 PM

I know of 2 Elans with P120's and another with a PST 1300. All required trimming of he rails to fit the bigger can. I just picked up a new Élan and am going thru the which engine debate right now.

Here's a list I am looking at:

Jetcat 100
Merlin 100x
Merlin 140
BF100 (same thrust as P120 but smaller/lighter)
Kingtech K100

I am using a split tank for smoke so fuel economy is important but also I'm a power junkie so am leaning to the higher end. The m140 may be a bit much but I could always dial it down a bit and this Kees my options open for future jets.

PaulD

VF84sluggo 10-17-2012 07:00 PM

Paul, you are exactly where I am on this. I want smoke, too, and that is a big concern with the 120 if I go with the split fuel/smoke oil tank. Giving up fuel quantity if running a 120 doesn't seem like a great idea. I've been trying to see where I could install a dedicated smoke oil tank, but the only place I see is right under the fuel tank tray, and that would probably require building a custom tank to fit in that area. I can't find any existing tanks that have a shape that would fit in that spot.

I've been thinking of the P100, K100G for power, too, as well as the Rabbit. The nice thing about those engines is that if I sell the Elan in the future, those engines can power a lot of other airframes. The KingTech is hard to beat for the money, at least initially. But I don't know much about them, and in the long run if they don't hold up it may cost more in the long run.

Sluggo

Countryboy 10-17-2012 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Did you have to cut/Dremel the turbine mount rails to make room for the width of the 120? Did you need to cut away some of the fuselage formers in the engine bay? And how did you solve the Jetcat offset mount issue?

Thanks for your help!

Randy

Thanks for your help!

Randy
It's been a bit since I assembled that Elan, but going from memory... I did have to shave the original mounts and add about 1/4" packing under the mount to bring the thrust line in check. Don't remember having to modify any of the fuselage formers.

Xairflyer 10-18-2012 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Elan was not made originally for the bigger turbines and yes trimming is required for P80/120 size turbines. Some of the newer turbines like P100, merlins etc fit better without mods.

Like as someone already mentioned you need a piece of 1/4" ply under the mounts on the P80/120's also if you see from the pic the bracket is now under the lip and hard to get screws in so I drilled holes through the lip to get at them.

VF84sluggo 10-18-2012 03:59 AM

Yes, I see the holes in the fuselage lip, and where the rails have been cut away to accomodate the width of the 120. Doesn't seem like too tough a job to get the 120 to fit.

One other question: are there any heat issues with the a (relatively, for the Elan) large engine like a 120 filling up so much space in the engine bay?

Thanks

Xairflyer 10-18-2012 04:27 AM

I painted all around the turbine area with white BVM heatshield on all the Elans I built

gooseF22 10-18-2012 06:43 PM

Hey Gang,

I'm thinking of putting a P120 in an Elan I just got. But, a preliminary fit of the engine mount looks like quite a bit of cutting/Dremel-ing will be needed. I've looked through this thread, and while it is possible that I may have missed it, I see where folks have managed to cram a P120 into the Elan, but I didn't see any pics of the installation, or tips/tricks/suggestions on making a P120 fit.

Any help here will be appreciated!

Sluggo
much dremmeling.. its also in the other thread..

gooseF22 10-18-2012 06:48 PM

Yes, I see the holes in the fuselage lip, and where the rails have been cut away to accomodate the width of the 120. Doesn't seem like too tough a job to get the 120 to fit.

One other question: are there any heat issues with the a (relatively, for the Elan) large engine like a 120 filling up so much space in the engine bay?

Thanks

use BVM ceramic paint on the underside of the canopy.. I have a Wren 160 in mine.. I like the power too, and I have the smoke split tank.. I get about 5min and then land.. I only open the throttle going up.. the rest is half throttle.. I flamed out at 7 mins one time holding high as the runway was being cleared once..

I love the power, but Im looking to see how to stuff a smoke tank somewhere so I can get the fuel back on the tank..

All those engine options are fine.. whichever one you have is the best.. this thing would fly on a 70 or a 160.. doesn't matter....

VF84sluggo 10-18-2012 07:32 PM

Thanks for the info, Goose. I'll try and find the other thread, and the P120 install posts. I'll for sure go with the BVM ceramic heat shield paint...did that with my L-39.

I am also concerned about fuel capacity with a 120 when going with a spilt fuel/smoke tank. I'd like to have all the tank capacity for fuel, but I've looked closer today, and I just can't see where a separate smoke tank would go. So, for me, if I go with a 120 I may have to forgo a smoke system.

mjunior 10-19-2012 10:11 AM

Thanks for the info, Goose. I'll try and find the other thread, and the P120 install posts. I'll for sure go with the BVM ceramic heat shield paint...did that with my L-39.

I am also concerned about fuel capacity with a 120 when going with a spilt fuel/smoke tank. I'd like to have all the tank capacity for fuel, but I've looked closer today, and I just can't see where a separate smoke tank would go. So, for me, if I go with a 120 I may have to forgo a smoke system.
VF84sluggo

Have you seem that thread already?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64..._1/key_/tm.htm

Concerning smoke tank options, have you seem what I did in my Elan? Two 14 ounces installed in series below the fuel tank. Take a look in the post #145.

mjunior 10-19-2012 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: PaulD

I know of 2 Elans with P120's and another with a PST 1300. All required trimming of he rails to fit the bigger can. I just picked up a new Élan and am going thru the which engine debate right now.

Here's a list I am looking at:

Jetcat 100
Merlin 100x
Merlin 140
BF100 (same thrust as P120 but smaller/lighter)
Kingtech K100

I am using a split tank for smoke so fuel economy is important but also I'm a power junkie so am leaning to the higher end. The m140 may be a bit much but I could always dial it down a bit and this Kees my options open for future jets.

PaulD

My Elan is flying with a Wren 100. Very compact, light and powerfull. Certainly also an excelent option.

mjunior 10-19-2012 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

Thanks

use BVM ceramic paint on the underside of the canopy.. I have a Wren 160 in mine.. I like the power too, and I have the smoke split tank.. I get about 5min and then land.. I only open the throttle going up.. the rest is half throttle.. I flamed out at 7 mins one time holding high as the runway was being cleared once..

I love the power, but Im looking to see how to stuff a smoke tank somewhere so I can get the fuel back on the tank..

All those engine options are fine.. whichever one you have is the best.. this thing would fly on a 70 or a 160.. doesn't matter....
Goose,
Do you have pictures of the new installation (wren 160). I'm considering to upgrade my Elan for a Wren 160 (or the new 140) to have more power when climbing. I don't care for extra speed. Also would the current air inlets a constrain for a 160?
Mucio

VF84sluggo 10-19-2012 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: mjunior
VF84sluggo

Have you seem that thread already?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64..._1/key_/tm.htm

Concerning smoke tank options, have you seem what I did in my Elan? Two 14 ounces installed in series below the fuel tank. Take a look in the post #145.
I guess I missed that thread. Thanks for the help!

I looked at your post (#145), and that looks like a good use of that space below the tank. I figured that would be where to put a dedicated smoke tank, I just couldn't see where I'd find a tank that would fit.

Sluggo

Xairflyer 10-20-2012 02:52 AM

I would think the wren 160 is far too big in physical size for the elan, you would be much better off with a Merlin 140 or JC cheetah much better power to weight.

Eric L Smith 10-20-2012 05:08 AM

Hi

I have an Elan with JetCat 100RX installed, a great combination very light power unit total weight is 21Lbs. The power is all you would want

Cheers<br type="_moz" />