RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Power? E vs. T - Maxx

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 11:56 PM
BigNutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power? E vs. T - Maxx

I searched and didn't find much.

Anyways I was wondering how the E-Maxx compares to the T-Maxx in power? I want to really use whatever I get offroad, but the only thing stoping me from nitro is the noise. I have tons of places to drive on, but my favorite is my backyard (I have a 45 to 60 degree 150ft. rock hill behind my house), but my neighbors are close and old. So thats the problem....

I do want to know more about the E-Maxx too:

How long can it be run on a full charge?
How does it different from the T-maxx besides engine and batts?
Does it have less re-sale value compared to a T-Maxx?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2003, 12:15 AM
Legendary

Default The E-Maxx is just what you need!

The run times are low but, you can buy a bunch of "O.K" batteries to keep you up and running! It is not as fast (about 30mph) as a T-Maxx (40-45mph) stock but it has a ton of low end power! You can build it to be even faster then even the fastest nitro trucks but it will cost you a bunch of money!
Old 07-29-2003, 12:15 AM
gtxracer7

T-Maxx is faster, and I think they both have about equal torque, but the 2.5 may have more since it is a nitro engine and it all depends on tuning...
Old 07-29-2003, 12:16 AM
BUGGIES_R_US

I've seen a emaxx run and its pretty good.
I dont know about the specs cuz I dont own one.

The only thing is.. the emaxx can get expensive. Batteries, chargers and motors arent very cheap.
With nitro you have the motor and fuel..

The RC mags I've read all say that electrics actually cost a BIT (not much) more.

On the flip side, electrics are ver clean.. they cant really break because you got 2 specs of sand in your motor..
They have a LOT of torque. Nitro is good at HP.. not torque.
IT might be a good thing for you because torque is what you need to climb those hills.

For your situation, I'd vote for the E-Maxx.

Ram
Old 07-29-2003, 03:12 AM
14leo

buggies r us is right . the e -maxx climbs good. i own one. now i want to get a t because odf the speed . i didn't like charging the batteries and all that stuff. i like the noise that the t makes . that's why i'm into the T (spees and noise)ok that's just me. For climbing i would suggest a E which is i your caSE. SOON ENOUGH YOU'LL BE TIRED OF WAITING FOR THE BATTERIES. Over all i had great fun with my E . Now i'm just hoping to ride the E around my house. And the T for parks or stuff like that. The E is really clean which is good. People can tell you a lot of things but you have to decide for yourself. I find myself going back in forth between buyin a T-maxx 2.5 or a savage. But really it's up to you. Eighther one you'll have fun with.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:06 AM
Chase023

I will try to answer your questions..

I don't know what you mean by power.. Speed, Torque? both?
Well the T-maxx has higher avg speed and E-maxx has lower speed than the T-maxx. The E-Maxx probably has more torque due to the fact that electric motors have more torque and reach higher torque faster than nitros.

By the way the E-maxx and T-maxx aren't really rock climbers but more of an offroad, dirt road jumping, running, and bashing. I guess they could be converted into one but thats another topic.

Electrics usually cost more initially and nitro more in the long run. Nitros tend to have longer run times depending on the engine size/fuel consumption and tank size.

The basic difference is their powerplant and power source. I won't go into every part that makes it different or such.

Regardless people like what they like either nitro or electric, its up to you and your preference. As long as you have fun with it its all good.

Also think of it this way.. You can run a nitro long as you want as long as you have enough fuel. It can be costly in the long run but in the short run, cheaper than electric.

Electric in the short run costs more but in the long run cheaper.
You might have to buy 3-5 sets of batteries to help you run longer. You can cycle in and out batteries and that will help you last a long day. Batteries can last you years if you take care of them. I would recommend either 3000mah or 3300mah ratings for batteries for longer run times.

Personally I like batteries and nitro. They both have cons and pros. It's up to you what you prefer to do.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:14 AM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being electric, the Emaxx has lots more low end grunt. The E will actually drag the T around if you did a "pull off" type contest. The T will have more top end power and speed becuase of its nitro engine. Its all a matter of what you want. I personally couldnt handle the 8-10 minute run times, and you have to (or at least should) let the motors cool off every other run.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:03 PM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

if you are going to do rock climbing get a clod buster, jugg 2 or txt-1. there more expensive to get up and running but well worth it. txt-1 is basically the same as the jugg 2, but with an aftermarket cantilever kit on it from the factory. the clod is a bit cheaper than those other 2. the emaxx wont climb nearly as well as these trucks. and electric motors have their maximum torque at 0 rpm, which means instant power. thats why it wheelies so easy.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:10 PM
Justintoxicated

I used to have electrics, now they sit on the shelf and all i drive are my nitros. I really like nito alot better, i think most people do, unless they have $$$$$$$$$$$$$ invested brushless motors n all...

I just like the smell, the smoke and the sound of the nitro trucks alot better. To me there is no comparison between the 2 its nitro hands down, no matter how fast / expensive I liek the nitro better.

Also great when you are camping and stuff and can't recharge your batteries and dont have $500 to spend on spare packs.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:45 PM
Chase023

If you spent $500 on spare packs, damn you should have like over 10-12 good quality batteries which could last you YEARS. If you have them all charged I guess you could run continuous without charging any for about 120-200mins. If you cycled them in and out while one is running, others are charging and cooling, then you probably could run all day. After that why would you have to buy any more batteries if you take care of them? You can always charge the batteries using DC current or use your car to plug the charger in to charge them if you are out and about and camping, unless you are camping way out without any electricity without your car around either.

Nitro is great when you don't have to charge anything but you still have to spend money on batteries for the receiver and transmitter still which isn't much. Tho all you need to fill and go for the most part, which is nice and convienient.

Like I stated earlier you will spend less in the beginning but as you fill and refill, how many gallons have you bought total or how many more gallons will you have to buy as you play with your nitro more and more? I bet you will end up spending more than $500 as time goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I really like nitro and I like electric so I try to see the pros and cons of each, not just all towards one.

If you really like the sound of a nitro, nothing beats a RC Turbine Helicopter!! Sound of the turbine spinning.. Oohhh!!
Old 07-29-2003, 10:01 PM
Justintoxicated

Originally posted by Chase023
If you spent $500 on spare packs, damn you should have like over 10-12 good quality batteries which could last you YEARS. If you have them all charged I guess you could run continuous without charging any for about 120-200mins. If you cycled them in and out while one is running, others are charging and cooling, then you probably could run all day. After that why would you have to buy any more batteries if you take care of them? You can always charge the batteries using DC current or use your car to plug the charger in to charge them if you are out and about and camping, unless you are camping way out without any electricity without your car around either.

Nitro is great when you don't have to charge anything but you still have to spend money on batteries for the receiver and transmitter still which isn't much. Tho all you need to fill and go for the most part, which is nice and convienient.

Like I stated earlier you will spend less in the beginning but as you fill and refill, how many gallons have you bought total or how many more gallons will you have to buy as you play with your nitro more and more? I bet you will end up spending more than $500 as time goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I really like nitro and I like electric so I try to see the pros and cons of each, not just all towards one.

If you really like the sound of a nitro, nothing beats a RC Turbine Helicopter!! Sound of the turbine spinning.. Oohhh!!
a heli would be awesome! your right though i was disapointed when i found that ya had to charge batts for nitro too, although not nearly enough it is still too much, of coarse when you go camping you can get everything to run on AA's except your glow plug charger but an extra charged cell should be able to make up for that.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:16 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Hey bro the T-Maxx is not that loud. It's actually has a very mild tone to it. It's not very crisp sounding so you don't get that sharp two stroke sound. It's actually one of the quieter ones that i've heard.

Never driven an E-maxx so i can't comment on the power.
Old 07-29-2003, 10:33 PM
TwIsTeDReMaInS1

Nice rides check my E-Maxx an Hpi Nitro Rs4 out on my site.....

http://www.cardomain.com/id/twisted_remains2

Peace
Old 07-29-2003, 11:50 PM
Chase023

Very Nice E-Maxx!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:19 AM
fuzzylogic

What sort of run time will you get from 3300mah battery packs?

Do matched battery pack make a big difference?

How long does it take to charge the batteries with a fast charger?
Old 07-30-2003, 04:38 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by Chase023
If you spent $500 on spare packs, damn you should have like over 10-12 good quality batteries which could last you YEARS. If you have them all charged I guess you could run continuous without charging any for about 120-200mins.
in my king blackfoot I use parralell 2400's and 2 sets of 2 1500's and let one cool, run one and charge the last set all at the same time, and i can run all day with out more than occasional stops to let things cool and check for loose screws, play with camber settings and things like that. it cost about 100$ total for all those batteries. im thinking of getting a few more 3300 packs, i only have 1 now in my touring car. anyone tried a 5 cell 3300 pack for a reciever battery yet?
Old 07-30-2003, 05:35 AM
Chase023

From 3300s you can probably expect anywhere from 8-15+mins.

Matched packs can make a big difference. It can give you better run times and better performance. I won't go into detail but they are better and worth it in my OPinion.

All batteries should be prepped charged before they are charged fast. What I mean is new batteries should be charged for C/10 (capacity divided by 10) for the first 3 charges then you can fast charge them. This will help reach full capacity when you do c/10 for the first 3 charges for a new battery.

Fast charging, you can charge them at different rates depending on Ni-Cad or NiMH. It is recommended that if you use Ni-Cads to fast charge you should do it at 2 times the capacity and for NiMH 1 times the capacity. Which relates to about 30min to an hour.

Well you can charge them at higher rates like 3-4 times their capacity but that is a bit fast, and its at your discretion which is about 15-20 mins. With a good charger and good batteries they can last you years.

Isphius, Does your blackfoot run longer running two packs parallel than just one pack of the same capacity? I haven't tried but wanted to know. Of course I know it helps to have similar packs when you do run them parallel. On average how long does your parallel packs last you vs a single pack?

I have seen people use Sub-C batteries for the receiver but I think that is a bit too much weight and too big for a receiver battery. I have made my own 6v receiver battery with 2000mah AA NiMH. If you don't care about weight or size might as well use D batteries with 8000mah capacity!! hehe!