Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Stupid Savage...

Old 07-30-2003, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Savage...

I am really beginning to hate this truck. I have had it for about 3 months, and i have only been able to put about a gallon through it. It gives me nothing but trouble. I have had 3 cars now, and none have been anything like this.

I used to think it looked cool, but now i hate the design. Takes forever to repair some things. I have probably driven for 10 minutes in the last month. Broken pull starts (3!), a fuel tank, stripped spur gears, brakes...etc. I bought a new spur gear yesterday, came home, and stripped it again in less than 5 minutes!

And the engine never seems to run right, even after i take it to the pros at my hobby shop. It runs great there, but at home its crap! I have never had this much trouble with any of my other engines! (its an 8 port, by the way). 1/8 .21 must not be my thing. Maybe ill sell this piece of shi* and buy a nice ST.
anyone want a savage?
Old 07-30-2003, 12:16 AM
fourwheeler

Default Stupid Savage...

How are you stripping the spur gears? I haven't had any trouble out of mine since I quit getting on the throttle while it was still in the air. Also, the pull start can be fixed with some thin wire to take place of the rope and that will end that problem as well. I hope you don't give up on it as my 2 savages are the most fun I have had in a while. Good Luck!!!
Old 07-30-2003, 12:57 AM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Default Stick to ST's.....

ONE) SPUR GEAR STRIPPING, probably due to the fact that your clearance isn't right between the spur gear and clutch bell gear.

TWO) PullStarts on the hyper 8 port are notorious for breaking, do like 4wheeler said and replace the rope with a steel wire. I used the Great planes push pull wire from the planes section of the hobby shop.

THREE) HOW much you letting it go for? Sounds like you've abused the crap out of it so I'll shoot you 250 as my offer.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:25 AM
Justintoxicated

Default Stupid Savage...

how about $180?
Old 07-30-2003, 01:34 AM
packerfan3001
My Feedback: (1)

Default Stupid Savage...

lol i think he'd take 250 over 180 lol

my offer-123.91$ shipped lol
Old 07-30-2003, 01:47 AM

Default Stupid Savage...

haha no. Actually i havent abused this truck AT ALL. It still looks new.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:21 AM
cemeb4dk

Default Stupid Savage...

i agree you must not be lining up your clutch bell and spur gear properly. I am still running my stock spur and i have a .26 running thru it, and on the gear probably about 2 1/2 gallons. i found the trick is as you are mounting engine, before tightening roll the truck backwards and if it rolls smoothly you are aligned right. You may know this but thought i would share it anyways
Old 07-30-2003, 02:33 AM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Default Stupid Savage...

Oh yeah and these so called "pro's", I'm sure it's not the same at your LHS but at all four of the ones here in omaha half the time they don't know what I'm talking about when i ask them a simple question about my trucks. You should probably get someone who runs there savage alot and knows how to properly make the adjustments on it.

ROFLMAO "-$123.91"
For those who don't know

ROLLING
ON
FLOOR
LAUGHING
MY
A##
OFF
Old 07-30-2003, 02:36 AM
Savage_Dias

Default Stupid Savage...

Take 250 while you can! I doubt you'll hear any better. Sounds to me like you just got a bum savage. I love mine even though it's all kinds of tore up right now. I'm breaking it down to clean & inspect everything before a race this weekend.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:44 AM

Default Stupid Savage...

Originally posted by cemeb4dk
i agree you must not be lining up your clutch bell and spur gear properly.
Youd think that, but it isnt. It is perfectly set up. It spins very smoothly when i push the car forward. I was just idling the car to finish off the tank. I wasnt even giving it gas. All the sudden i look down and there were teeth missing.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:47 AM
Avalanche

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid Savage...

The Hyper 8 port is notorious for bing finicky and being a pull start eater. It sounds like most of your problems are due to a poor installation or alignment of the engine. If you strip a spur gear in 5 minutes, you installed or aligned it improperly. As far as repairing the truck, anything can be taken off in under 5 minutes, how much easier do you need? If you are getting that frustrated with it, its probably a good idea to start over with something else.

Ive had my Savage for a year now and put 2 hard gallons through a Force 25 and the only things I've broken are 2 dogbones and center shaft. They are almost bullet proof compared to other trucks out there.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:53 AM
cemeb4dk

Default Stupid Savage...

and i said when you roll it backwards not forwards maybe a typo on your part not sure just making sure you understand... I have to agree also with LHS so called pro's, If i can't fix it myself i'll talk to some of my friends that have a truck and we will figure it out.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:59 AM
tjmaxx

Default Stupid Savage...

I will give you $200 for it since I dont like buying used stuff.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:28 AM

Default Stupid Savage...

nah. And Cemb it does roll backwards easily. It was aligned properly.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:44 AM
Alteramod

Default Stupid Savage...

Could a little stone went up in there? Also, If you buy a hpi pull start it should come with instructions on how to fix one. Well I think it does anyways. Shows you how to fix a broken spring and if the cord breaks then just put in that wire stuff as said above. And yes there has to something very wrong to strip a spur gear in 5 minutes. Look at it and find the problem........
Old 07-30-2003, 12:43 PM
*Crash*Johnson*
My Feedback: (7)

Default Stupid Savage...

Maybe the motor mount bolts are a bit loose and the engine is moving ever so slightly.

And I offer $75. :P
Old 07-30-2003, 04:29 PM
Legendary

Default My vote is for what Crash said!

I had the same thing happen to me with one of my Maxx's and at first I thought it was sand getting in there but, I replaced it with a steel spur and then noticed it was not spinning freely after a short run! It was the mount screws! 2 had come loose and when under power it would move!

Oh, and my bid is $19.95
Old 07-30-2003, 05:05 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

Default Stupid Savage...

I only have three bolts on my motor mount and I never have to adjust it. Only three because the fourth was stripped when I was cheating with an allen bit on my drill.

I also agree that it could be moving a little. As a matter of fact the Clerk behind the counter told me to check mine after every couple of runs to make sure the clearance is right. BTW just because it moves freely doesn't mean that the clearance is right. It will move freely if the gap is a little too large as well. You would be more prone to strip the spur if the clearance was too wide.