Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

central differential lock or not?

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

central differential lock or not?

Old 10-22-2010, 03:02 PM
dirtdemon6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default central differential lock or not?

I just got a Cen Genesis 7.7. I noticed that it comes with a central differntial lock. I will be putting this in as soon as I get the chance.

However, I was wondering if there was any advantage to having a central differential. I couldn't think of any. By my logic it just makes the wheels with less traction spin more. The fact that Cen included a central differential makes me wonder why?

(BTW I am not referring to the diffential between the right and left tires, but a central one that allows the front and rear wheels to spin at different speeds)
Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 AM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: central differential lock or not?

Having a center diff makes it handle better for racing, and keep it from doing wheelies. If all you do is bash, I would suggest locking it.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:51 PM
dirtdemon6

Wheelies can be prevented by not gunning the throttle to hard off the line.  The center diff makes the tires with the least traction burn out.

Have since installed center lock.  The CEN manual states the lock will increase transmission wear.  So the diff only exists to reduce tranny wear?  

Guess using a center lock could be a personal preference, though I see no advantages.  Center lock gets more power to the ground.  

Will have to drive it more with the lock to really confirm my preference, though have noticed that I can now pull wheelies...and I like that)
Old 10-29-2010, 03:29 PM
wolfie1

i have a gst as well and have never fitted the diff lock, does it really make a huge difference to the running?
Old 10-30-2010, 04:49 AM
sparky 25

Makes a big difference in how the truck runs,

wheelies are easily pulled and the truck just seemed more fun to run with the center diff locked,

the accelleration will be alot quicker and without ballooning the front tires every time you hit the throttle,

you should give it a go, if you dont like how it runs you can always remove it.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:41 AM
wolfie1

thanks well i reckon i will then [8D]