Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Tips on a tmaxx

Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 AM
minimadster
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on a tmaxx

Hey guys, i'm looking at purchasing a tmaxx, i have few questions, how long is the run time, and under mild driving how often does it break?, any other need to know tips would be appreciated
Old 10-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Tips on a tmaxx

Run time is as much fuel as you bring.
Estimating breaking parts is impossible.  Some folks will say its durable, some will say the exact opposite....better off finding out for yourself.
Read lots of info on tuning and break in.  Tuning nitro engines makes up 95% of issues you will encounter.  Educate yourself so you know the signs and how to troubleshoot.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:01 PM
minimadster

what i meant buy run time, is how long can it run on one tank of gas
Old 10-26-2010, 06:58 PM
steed2-inactive

i would say between 8-15 min pending your throttle finger. I have to agree with the guy above...best finding out for yourself. one thing i will say though...if you are bashing the truck and you are going the traxxas route...a revo is way tougher than a tmaxx. some guys will tell you the tmaxx is the basher and the revo is the racer....truth is the tmaxx is a basher and the revo is a racer and a better basher(much tougher) than the tmaxx. Myself , when i started in this hobby i was on my way to the hobby store to pick up a brand new tmaxx.....which ended up selling before i got there,,,,long story short the guys at the hobby store talked me into the savage and i have never looked back, and i must say after running with some t maxx's ,,,am i glad i didnt get one....here we are 3 years later and i do now have a tmaxx. but its usually just for playin in the backyard. the savvy's are my #1- just my opinion....its easy to get sucked into traxxas's advertising. but they do make great vehicles, I think if they redid the tmaxx with a chassis that was stamped to form over the top of the bulkhead(as to evenly distribute impact into the chassis) installed a bigblock....like could you imagine a trx 4.6....those things would fly off the shelf ...hell id be the first one in line,,,,wow i am jabbering on...lol anyways ...to sum it up ...tmaxx =great truck, nice complete package, awesome instructions, weak engine(no low end) bad chassis design(watch as the truck snaps in two pieces), revo= amazing handling, nice complete package, awesome intructions, weak engine, tough as nails...savage= handles like s@#t, lame radio (poor quality), awesome engine (f 4.6 not the k5.9), ok instructions, doesnt come with as much extras as traxxas, but what an awesome monster truck, handles like one and tough as nails...also get that f4.6 on a good tune and whatch it hunt down the 3.3 trx's-but this is just my 2 cents-scott.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 AM
minimadster

thanks for your opinions, i have been looking at the revos, and i'll take the savages into consideration
Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 AM
Shenanigans

Dont try to compare the savage to a TMaxx either...theyre in 2 different leagues...1/8th durability and big block vs 1/10th TMaxx small block isnt fair to the Maxx.  The Revo makes up for being 1/10th with its design so its better suited to match up to a Savage in overall quality.

I have a TMaxx as well...and its a fairly decked out TMaxx, but next to the Savage with similar hop-ups it looks, sounds, and feels like a toy.  Doesnt make it "unfun", but if I want to impress an interested 3rd party....I bring the savage over the Maxx everytime.  Revo is a different animal though....traxxas did a great job on the Revo, which explains its higher price tag.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 AM
steed2-inactive

the newest tmaxx is longer, and taller than a savage x 4.6 ....but with a smaller engine. it may be classed as 1/10 but its the same size as a savage, dont kid yourself.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Shenanigans

Im aware of the size similarities, but the guts of the TMaxx are still very much 1/10th.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:33 AM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

Im aware of the size similarities, but the guts of the TMaxx are still very much 1/10th.

yea definately-small spur gear, plastic driveline, small engine...very 1/10 throughout...i see what u mean.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:45 PM
mufflerbearing

I bought a newer tmaxx 2.5 used off the traxxas fourms for $130 and I love it. Been beating the heck out of it and it just comes back for more. Cracked 1 front $5 skid from impacting a big rock after hitting a 5 foot high jump. That's about it.

Runtime is about 15 minutes.

I have a revo as well but I think I am going to sell it and keep the maxx. The revo really doesn't suit me. Not saying that's it's bad I just don't care for the design.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:11 PM
del1969

It is like this dude, traxxas is a great company, and makes good products, but if you want a monster truck that can take a beating the savage, is the only option.
If you want a maxx, thats cool, they have great performance, and alot of options, but if you like to bash hard the savage is it.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 PM
moe7404

my idea is. the truck you pick should be based mostly on the hobbie shop you find. ask what brand they have the most of. ask if they have good mechanics. and how fast ordered parts come in. ask what brand they recommend..