Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Savage SS - For Newbies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 05:43 AM
mvsopen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage SS - For Newbies?

After spending the past year or so learning as much as I could about R/C, nitro, etc. the new "Savage SS" looks to be a perfect fit for me. The challenge of building a kit seems worthwhile, especially since you get the chance to study/adjust and/or modify everything as you go.

Thus I decided to create this new forum, specifically for those (like me!) who know they will buy the SS, but aren't all that sure about the aftermarket hop-ups, etc.

Personally, I intend to take my time building the kit. I'd rather spend 6 months, casually working on the truck, than perform yet another "all nighter" and be too tired the next day to appreciate it. (And when you're tired, you make errors...)

So please, you veterans out there? If you have the time and the means to build the truck in stages, should you really stop and take advantage of some of the hop-ups? I mean, sure, anodized roll bars are nice, but are they worth the money, initially?

Also, the ads say any T-Maxx body fits. Thus, logicially, any of the Proline bodies would also fit, correct? From what I've seen, I prefer these, they just seem better constructed.

What about the roto-start and the reverse? Useful and worth installing from the start, or is this a "wait and add them after the break-in period" type of item?

Also, one last question: I'm a licensed amateur radio operator. Does anyone know if r/c trucks are like planes, and thus use a slightly higher powered radio, on a less crowded frequency?

Thanks for any comments!

Rich
Old 08-02-2003, 06:17 AM
Rex2342

6 months to build the truck??LOL When I got my Rs4 3 SS I couldn't wait to build it and get ti running.It was my first R/C car and i'm glad it was a kit.Kit's defiantly give you a better idea of how it all works and what it all does.I spent a total of 14 hours straight building my SS and adjusting the suspension and stuff.I couldn't wait to see this thing scream.I wish they would have had the Savage SS when I bought my Savage21.I've torn this thing apart so many times it might as well of been a kit.

I added the reverse to mine as soon as it was available and I use it alot.The only downside is the added weight to an already heavy truck but ti's worth the added weight for the convenience of not having to chase the truck when it's stuck on a something.

As far as Hop Ups are concerned...well I think it's always better the fix it now then later.My Savage21 was nice stock but alot better after I fixed some little things.Again if it would have been a kit I could have fixed these little annoyances right off the bat instead of having to figure them out later on.The lack of radio gear in the Savage SS is nice because you can get the right servo's right away and not have to worry about them anymore.It's my opinion that you should save the alloy parts for a shelf queen and keep the CHEAP plastic for bashing and racing.The only alloy stuff I added to my Savage21 is the steering assembly and the shock bodies and I bought clamp on wheel hex's.Everything else is still the origanal plastic parts.I'm thinking about getting some alloy shock towers but that will be it for alloy on my truck.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:54 AM
14leo

a couple of days ago i had your same problem i was eighther going to get a savage , savage ss, or the T. I ended up getting the T it already had reverse. I was going to get 40 + mph and well that's what the savage ss is going to be. That was just my hoice. I havent even opened my T-maxx but wow the box looks so nice. I put a blanket over it and it's pillow u know so it won't be cold LOL i don't jump much so i didn't need a awesome suspension. I hope i love it . that's just what i think. reverse ez atart was with it that's pretty awesome. I SPENT 465.00 on it. everything new . I BOUGHT IT AT HOBBYPEOPLE> IT ALSO HAS A WEBSITE HOBBYPEOPL.net
Old 08-02-2003, 11:35 AM
Mr. Ali

congrats on ur new RC man!!!

hey, im in the same position u guys are in, i just learned about this hobby last week and i want in!!! so i was like, ok everyone says the T-Maxx is great(thats what u get for reading the traxxas forums, what do u expect, lol). i know its a good truck, but I REALLY REALLY want to build my own RC car, just thinking about it sounds like sooooo much fun(cus i build my own comps, and i guess this might give me the same thrill). i would get a savage 21 right now, but i really really want a kit

also, 6 months? i hope thats a typo, because i would really want to take mine out and drive at least a week after i get it, im sure u would too when u get it
Old 08-03-2003, 10:45 AM
robin640

I too have decide to wait until the new Savage SS kit

becomes available. Although, not sure what is needed to

complete the kit to get rolling. My plan would be to get

reverse and electric start installed.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:04 PM
GALAXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

uh oh......I think I might have to get one too
Old 08-04-2003, 02:25 AM
POJack

Get the Kit...You will definately have knowlege on how to fix stuff when it breaks. When I bought my first kit, it took me about 4 days to put it together working on it for about 3-4 hours a day. Also, you'll find it quite addictive once you start on it. For me at least, I could have gone all the way through without stopping if it weren't for real life commitments.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:48 AM
14leo

yeah that's cool ohpe you guys get yours soon. Sense this was is my first nitro rc i can learn how to maintain it and keep it running . then when i get the actual experience maybe I'll move up to the Savage ss. or make th T better in hop ups. I totally respect everyones decision hope you guys have fun when u get the savage ss.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 PM
mike_evader2

I dont believe that you can get any surface radios for the 50mhz band. It seems that yo can only get 27 and 75 for surface use.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:47 PM
mvsopen

Default Savage SS - Delay in Shipping!!!

I just visited the HPI website, and it has been recently updated. It now says "Shipping at the end of August"! RATS!!!!!!!!

Obviously, there must be some type of startup production delay. Let's all hope it is resolved soon.

Meanwhile, I think I'll start painting a body, just to have one ready if/when the kits finally arrive.

-Rich
Old 08-05-2003, 08:42 AM
it_thing_stuff

yeah, i think that i'll get that new savage ss, i already have a touring car and a TXT-1 and thats when the monster bug bit me. im not sure whether to get a mad force or a savage ss though.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:58 AM
theneck

Default savage ss for me, i cant wait.

tomorrow is my birthday, and i cant wait for the ss. hopefully it comes out before the labor day weekend. i was looking at getting the mad force also it_thing_stuff but its to much for me.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:45 AM
injectedsmile16

i like to wheelie a lot and my friends savage rtr with the stock engine wont wheelie...with the new engine in the ss do you think it will wheelie more?
Old 08-21-2003, 12:32 PM
theneck

Default savage ss wheelies

inject watch this new video of the ss, pretty much all the time it does a wheelie

Right click on this link, and save to your desktop
Savage SS video with tons of wheelies
Old 08-21-2003, 02:52 PM
jrkessler

That is a great video. I only hope when Im done building mine it works that good!
Old 08-21-2003, 04:32 PM
ShOzz

yeah i am so anxious to finsih up my ofna ld3 sell it and get the savage SS. i am more of an off road kind of person.

most my local hobby shops have not even heard of it yet. 2 weeks ago when i lived in california everyone was waiting on it now i seem to be the only one who has even heard it was coming out.

oh well.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:57 PM
tjmaxx

Get a Fail Safe.