jwan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default savage 21 break in

I've just finished breaking in the savage following the manual's instructions of one tank off the ground, two tanks at bursts of no more than 50% throttle, except in figure 8's instead of circles (I read it was better to do this for the diffs...) in any case, should I contine to follow this break in procedure or is what I have done. according to the manual sufficient. I drove it around on pavement, careful not to push the throttle hard is that ok? should I just drive it easily for a few more tanks? when can I really push it and see what it can do?

also, everytime I try to start it, I always seem to have to flood the thing at least 3 times before it will start. I just follow the manual, prime it until fuel hits the carb then 4 more pumps before attaching the ignitor and pulling the starer. I'm either not doing this right or something, with all the flooding that's happening. is it easier to start if I open the throttle slightly before pulling? sometimes u can hear it starting, but not quite getting there.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:54 PM
8000ft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have found that the 4 extra pumps isn't the best way to start it. i pump it till the fuel reaches the carb, then i attach the igniter and pull a few times then pump it twice, pull a few more times pump it once, continue to pull, and so on.... it usually will fire on or about the fourth pump but this way you're not stuffing all the fuel in at once thus causing it to flood. also i have my throttle trim on the radio(rx) adjusted so that it is open about 1\3
CAUTION!!!!! WHEN DOING THIS HAVE YOUR TRUCK PARKED FACING SOME THING IMMOVABLE LIKE YOUR CAR TIRE, SIDE OF A BUILDING, OR SOME THING CLOSE. THIS IS TO AVOID A RUNAWAY IF YOU CAN'T GET TO YOUR RADIO QUICKLY TO CONTROL THE TRUCK. hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:25 PM
jwan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

8000ft, how did u break in ur engine? I'm new to nitro.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:53 PM
Mossdog

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 21BB will run a little rough (boggy) for around 8 to 10 tanks. Once you hit that point it should start to run better and the truck will start shifting into second. Once its shifting you can start to lean it out a little bit at a time, 1 hour on the clock.

Be patient and have fun! The Savage is a great truck....

check my webpage for lots of Savage and NMT pics!

www.mossdog.freeservers.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	98454_27582.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	56180  
Old 08-02-2003, 02:25 PM
8000ft

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i followed the book for the most part. my variations were that:
once i got it running i had to lean it out imediatly(less o2 at 8000ft)
the first tank i did have to blip the throttle a few times to keep it running because it was trying to "load up".
tank two same thing.
be sure that when you shut it down between tanks to cool that the piston is at BDC.
third and fourth tanks i did drive it around and started to lean out the HSN , getting on and off the throttle with short blipps to clean out the carb.
fifth tank and beyond continued to adjust the HSN with longer periods of full throttle.
from then on GO FOR IT , continue to adjust the HSN only untill it runs nice and strong and clean sounding at top end.
also by now it should be shifting into 2nd gear, if it isn't turn the adjustment screw in the tranny so that it will, you can always reset it later to shift earler or later.
once you get the HSN set then you can start to lean out the LSN for a nice crisp take off.
CAUTION!!!! WHEN ADJUSTING THE LSN YOU MUST
REPEAT
YOU MUST NOT LET THE MSN SCREW MOVE!!!
the MSN is very touchy. when i adjust the LSN i put a screw driver in the MSN while i adjust the LSN just to make sure it doesn't move, believe me i learned this one the hard way.
good luck and happy (sometimes frusterating) bashing.
Ted.