Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

MGT 4.6 used good price or not

Old 12-12-2010, 04:05 PM
davestercrombie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MGT 4.6 used good price or not

Guys I need some help. I'm new to this nitro world and christmas is appraching fast. Iwas wondering is 180 is a good price for a MGT4.6 nitro truck that is about 2 years old. I have been told the thing is in great shape only maybe used 20 times or so,

Let me know what you guys think. Also If you know a better deal for a beginner please let me know. Iam looking at this for my 13 year old son.

Thanks

Old 12-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Mclovin350z

Default RE: MGT 4.6 used good price or not

Whenever you look at a used nitro truck you MUST assume the engine is junk. The only exceptions are if looking / watching it runin person or if the listing says brand new never ran engine. With that being said I would consider the condition of the entire truck minus engine and pay what you think it's worthWITHOUT an engine. You didn't specify if it was something you can examine in person or not, so if it's on ebay or craigslist etc please consider my advice. There are too many people trying to rip you off on ebay / craigslist etc. They all say stuff like "getting out of the hobby" or "only ran half a gallon" etc. It's almost always a load of crap. If you buy a used nitro anything be prepared to buy an engine. You must also consider what mechanical skills the previous owner had or didn't have. You may end up with a nice truck that is poorly built / rebuilt and has many stripped out threads. You may want to research on associated's website and determine exactly what truck you are looking at and look into a new in box one. Sometimes you can stumble on older model stuff that's unopened for a greatprice. Hope this helps, I'd hate to see your kid end up with a junker.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:20 PM
davestercrombie

Well I found the thing online. I'm going to check it out Monday. Is there anything specific I should look for?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Mclovin350z

Don't know much about the monster gt, except that it is a good truck.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 AM
maddmatt02

not sure how much you have to spend, and how much you care about things being new. I personally am the type of person that on certain things dont mind spending a decent amount extra to get new.

if you get to see it in person than it might be a good buy.

only things I can think of is to check to see if the a arm mounts are bent, and also look at the drive cups on the tranny. the holes in the outer cup for the pin get enlarged and then just get worse and worse, and puts alot of slop in the drivetrain. you can put boots on them that help stop/slow down the problem by keeping dirt out if it isnt already bad.

thats the only stuff I remember.

if it looks like it needs a little work, and possibly an engine, a new one is 349 now.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:57 PM
davestercrombie

Thx I ended up buying a new 3.0 over at tower. In the end I figured that I just find a good used one. I met a few different folks but the trucks just looked abused past the point that made me feel like it was a good deal.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:00 PM
davestercrombie

Yea thats what I saw online. Good advice. I talked to a bunch of folks on craigslist and the good deals made me really suspect why the heck would someone get rid of a good RC that is 12 months old or they were banged up all to hell and really not worth it.

If I knew the person before hand it would be one thing but just like you said. You just can't trust the ads on craigslist for this stuff.