Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

Long time t maxx owner looking for new truck

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

Long time t maxx owner looking for new truck

Old 01-28-2011, 08:21 PM
gdipilato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long time t maxx owner looking for new truck

I have had a tmaxx since they first came out with the 2.5 motor so i dont know how long that is but its a long long time and i love my tmaxx but i tell ya ive went through 3 motors and i swear ive broken that thing so many times its ridicoulous. ive broken the bulkheads probably 5 times bent the chassis 3 times bent 2 shocks, 2 servos went out. the list goes on and on. now my differential is blown out and all my servos are just tired and to be honest im just sick and tired of fixing it. i know that some of the newer trucks are alot better built than a tmaxx. I know have a full time job and would really like to after a long awful day at work come home and run a truck that will be fairly reliable, easy to tune, and wont cost a fortune to keep going. thats the thing i hated about my tmaxx, that dam thing was always a pain to tune, always needed somthing, and i almost got more of a headache than had fun at times. i dont really know alot about newer traxxas trucks but my freind has a revo and i guess its alright but idk i guess i just want somthing more, maybe bigger. what ive really been looking at is the savage xl and the mgt 8.0. i havent really done alot of research but they are right up my alley. most of my driving is through rocky hilly teriain and dont really get up to speed all that opften. dont get me wrong i love to go fast across my big yard but really im usually climbing hills out in my woods and going off a cople small jumps i built. i do have a couople of sand pits but most of it will be feilds, dirt paths and woods. also i was really hoping to get somthing with waterproof electronics, that would be awsome. i also dont know about electric. i kinda think electric is neat but i just love the sound of the nitro motors
Old 01-29-2011, 06:02 AM
Mclovin350z

Default RE: Long time t maxx owner looking for new truck

The xl and 8.0 are both good choices, but the 8.0 is extra thirsty. You could also look into the losi xxl.
A big block engine is more forgiving than the traxxas 3.3, so I would either get one of those^^^ or just buy a revo and change to a better engine. A new 3.3 can fetch upwards of $130 on ebay.
Might as well forget about waterproof electronics, you'll cause yourself alot of headaches taking them for granted.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 AM
SLAYERDUDE

As always... Savage XL FTW!

Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 AM
gdipilato

Thanks for the replies. Ive kinda lost interest in the 8.0 because ive read it is very bad on fuel. Im now between the xl and just the regular x 4.6. the only thing for me is that the x is 380 and the xl is 560. i dont know if the xl is worth 180 more dollars. i also read the xl has engine problems like with the o rings leaking. i think the regualr x 4.6 might be good for me. everyone seems to love it.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:41 AM
SMOKEFAN

I have an MGT and Love it. You will not be disapointed inb that purchase at all. The 4.60se is also great for the money and can be had for 349.00. Next I would choose the Savage X 4.6 and then the LST 2. You cant go wrong with any of these trucks. IMO the best bang for the buck is MGT 4.60se

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USkvVgJ1cQw

This is a 4.6 with a Buku pipe. it's beatup but man it's awesome
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPic...eature=related
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86132.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	1555121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27058.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1555122  
Old 01-29-2011, 04:50 PM
jackripped

For what you describe re-consider an electric polymer set up, way faster than nitro in every area, and they utterly pwn the nitro ones for maintanence and cost of maintanence.
Just a thought.

After work, plug batteries in and drive......

After work get nitro one started, if it starts or needs some tune/glowplug or maintanence to start, tune while you run depending on weather, stay away from water, where as the electric ones some of which are waterproof.

Anyway have a think about it all.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:54 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: SLAYERDUDE

As always... Savage XL FTW!

thats that BMX park off of frontage road right? ive been curious to go there and bash a bit.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:40 PM
SMOKEFAN

I guess I dont understand why people seem to think it's such a chore to tune an engine. I cant remember the last time I touched mine. Atleast a month ago at the races. I run weekly and seem to never have the issue that would make Nitro a chore like people make it out to be.

Charge RX pack and igniter, Fill fuel bottle play for 2 hours straight. No Lipos to charge or blowup, no 60.00 packs, and 100.00 chargers and no crazy time between runs and lastly realistic. If your into r/c you should enjoy nitro. Maybe it's my years with nitro but for me it very easy and I rarely tune an engine.

Reality is I can be out playing in 3 minutes from now, thats truck running and warmed up
Old 01-29-2011, 06:26 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would choose the 8.0 on the basis that Associated overbuilt that thing. The Savage is a good truck, no doubt, but the MGT 8.0 is just better. Bigger engine, better built IMO, legendarily durable, and there's some small touches that let you know AE's design department was on the ball that day.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:28 PM
steed2-inactive

ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN

I guess I dont understand why people seem to think it's such a chore to tune an engine. I cant remember the last time I touched mine. Atleast a month ago at the races. I run weekly and seem to never have the issue that would make Nitro a chore like people make it out to be.

Charge RX pack and igniter, Fill fuel bottle play for 2 hours straight. No Lipos to charge or blowup, no 60.00 packs, and 100.00 chargers and no crazy time between runs and lastly realistic. If your into r/c you should enjoy nitro. Maybe it's my years with nitro but for me it very easy and I rarely tune an engine.

Reality is I can be out playing in 3 minutes from now, thats truck running and warmed up
^^ agreed, also keep in mind electric needs just as much maintenance as nitro. well pretty damn close,
Old 01-29-2011, 06:34 PM

My OS engine is similarly reliable. It's a fire-and-go deal, and I only adjust it twice per year. Once in the spring, once in the fall. 1/4 turn on the HSN, 1/8 on the idle, and it's good to go.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:11 PM
SMOKEFAN

Well said fellas. legendary durability, design, and the 4.6 and 8.0 are serious powerhouses. AE-Thundertiger did very well with the MGT. IMO both designs are older and everyone else has spent years trying to equal the MGT. HPI and Losi both have done very well and have really nice trucks aswell.

In recent years Thunder Tiger has made a huge name in the aircraft and heli engine dept. Most pilots will go as far to say TT has passed O/S especially since lead designers from O/S went to TT. I think AE and Thundertiger have both benefited from this. AE and Thunder Tiger have always had a close relationship
Old 01-29-2011, 07:19 PM
The_Shark

here is the thing with Traxxas.

Servos=suck
engines=suck
EZ start=suck
overall design= great, im very pleased at how the T-Maxx is put togather, it needs stronger bulkheads and RPM arms to be strong enough to handle real abuse but off the bat its pretty strong.

the thing i like about the traxxas is, if i break a part its almost always under $4 they have a hundred on hand and it takes 5minuts to fix.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:07 PM
SMOKEFAN

Dont forget plastic transmission gears to......FAIL
Old 01-30-2011, 05:33 PM
rc awesome

Holy crap thats a big jump!
Old 01-30-2011, 07:25 PM
The_Shark

Dont forget plastic transmission gears to......FAIL
there is a reason why a slipper clutch is built in, ding-dong. it takes ALOT to bust them especially with some slip built in, from the previous owner of my T-maxx he broke a trans gear once trying to crawl out of a tire with a locked spur, its a 12year old truck with tons of abuse, and that was the only instance of broken drive-line.

plastic can take alot more abuse than most people give it credit for.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:42 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Honestly, the savage X and monster GT 4.6 would be what i were looking at if i were buying new.

The monster GT is about the best all around truck there is IMO. Good parts support, top notch company, strong driveline, good handling, and the truck is durable and extremely easy to work on. It has one of the best .28 engines you can get as well IMO.

The Savage is also a great truck. Probably the strongest suspension out of any of them, and the truck will just take a beating. They dont handle as good, but mine doesent bother me any, and they have a good driveline, just not as strong as the MGT or Losi trucks. When you put the bulletproof gears in the savage, then the driveline is extremely strong. The X has a pretty strong engine that will go a long time if you take care of it.

Basically, if you are looking for a good all around truck, the MGT is gonna be hard to beat. If you are wanting something that can take an extreme beating, the savage takes the cake IMO.

As for the T-Maxx. They are better than they used to be, but that bulkhead design, and the weak suspension arms as well as the weak mounts from the chassis to bulkhead just really leave a lot of room for improvement. You can fix these things, but it really shouldnt be necessary. The 2 trucks above will do anything a t-maxx can do, except better IMO and last longer doing it. I like the t-maxx, they are fun to drive, they just dont hold up that well without a few upgrades though.

Thats my opinion anyways, and I have owned all 3.

Eric
Old 02-01-2011, 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

As for the T-Maxx. They are better than they used to be, but that bulkhead design, and the weak suspension arms as well as the weak mounts from the chassis to bulkhead just really leave a lot of room for improvement. You can fix these things, but it really shouldnt be necessary. The 2 trucks above will do anything a t-maxx can do, except better IMO and last longer doing it. I like the t-maxx, they are fun to drive, they just dont hold up that well without a few upgrades though.

Part of the Tmaxx gearbox hate might be the reverse. My friend just recently bought a second-hand Maxx that was well cared for, but reverse was causing all sorts of hell. It wouldn't wheelie, the gearbox slipped, it got stuck in forward or reverse, getting it to shift was a pain in the rear, and it ate idler gears like crazy. He put an FOC in it and the gearbox is good as new now.

'Course as soon as he got that fixed the 2.5 in it started acting up and now it's constantly flaming out when you jump to WOT. Go figure.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:53 PM
del1969

Try the new tmaxx 3.3, I had one and it was a good truck. You can find traxxas parts anywhere.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 PM
The_Shark

..... As for the T-Maxx. They are better than they used to be, but that bulkhead design, and the weak suspension arms as well as the weak mounts from the chassis to bulkhead just really leave a lot of room for improvement. You can fix these things, but it really shouldnt be necessary. The 2 trucks above will do anything a t-maxx can do, except better IMO and last longer doing it. I like the t-maxx, they are fun to drive, they just dont hold up that well without a few upgrades though.

Thats my opinion anyways, and I have owned all 3. ....

Eric
this is why you buy used by someone who knows which part of the car goes on the ground, then you use the money saved beefing up the weak spots.

im going to be using gray bulkheads all around, plastic bulhead reinforcers, and i now have RPM arms (much nicer than stock)

oh, i have one gray bulkhead on my truck (1.5) and im just wondering if a whole set is compatible with my truck, i know that the arms fit with less slack in the gray ones. and i havent removed the bulks yet.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
cummins driver

You can upgrade the t-maxx to be pretty tough. Its just that by the time you get that done, you could have bought something strong to start out with. I had a .15 t-maxx i didnt have much in. It had a good running 2.5 and a FOC tranny. However, it needed a few things and I was going to have at least another $100 into it by the time i did that. It also broke driveshafts almost every run since the 2.5 was too strong for the .15 shafts. Like I said, you can upgrade them, but to me, if you are buying something new, there are far better options.

Eric
Old 02-01-2011, 07:41 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: jackripped

For what you describe re-consider an electric polymer set up, way faster than nitro in every area, and they utterly pwn the nitro ones for maintanence and cost of maintanence.
Just a thought.

After work, plug batteries in and drive......

After work get nitro one started, if it starts or needs some tune/glowplug or maintanence to start, tune while you run depending on weather, stay away from water, where as the electric ones some of which are waterproof.

Anyway have a think about it all.
Dont get too carried away on your brushless high there. I have a brushless, another electric and 3 nitro's. Maintenance isnt a lot different. My engines almost always run great, and I have had headaches with my electrics at times too. Neither is really better than the other, only different. Brushless is normally more powerful, but sometimes a nitro is faster just because its more driveable.

Eric
Old 02-02-2011, 03:08 PM
The_Shark

You can upgrade the t-maxx to be pretty tough. Its just that by the time you get that done, you could have bought something strong to start out with. I had a .15 t-maxx i didnt have much in. It had a good running 2.5 and a FOC tranny. However, it needed a few things and I was going to have at least another $100 into it by the time i did that. It also broke driveshafts almost every run since the 2.5 was too strong for the .15 shafts. Like I said, you can upgrade them, but to me, if you are buying something new, there are far better options.

Eric
this is why they put a slipper in locked transfer trannys are very hard on everything, you must put some slip in so stuff doesnt break.

i dont know, i have yet to really beat up my truck, but so far so good. i have a picco .15 in there now rated at 1.4HP
Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

this is why they put a slipper in locked transfer trannys are very hard on everything, you must put some slip in so stuff doesnt break.

i dont know, i have yet to really beat up my truck, but so far so good. i have a picco .15 in there now rated at 1.4HP
The slipper on my brushless Monster GT, and my Savage both are locked and I have yet to have any real driveline issues from them. My real truck doesent have a "slipper clutch" to survive. It just has steel and aluminum driveline parts, just like an MGT, LST, or Savage. You can defend the T-Maxx all you want, but the pro .15 driveshafts are just really weak. The new 3.3 shafts are pretty tough. Its fine if you have a love affair with the t-maxx trucks, but they just arent nearly as strong as the other trucks and you will spend a lot of $$ getting it there. Thats why i didnt buy an e-maxx to make brushless. Didnt want the headache of all the driveline issues they have with big power, as well as the relatively weak bumpers/arms/bulks.

Eric
Old 02-02-2011, 05:11 PM
steed2-inactive

eric is right, at least as far as the savage line of trucks go, i have my savage x, xl and especially the flux slippers all locked down. the slipper design on the savage is a poor design and tends to either instantly burn itself up, (once it starts to slip) or you lock it down, which is fine as the driveline on a savage is quite beefy and takes alot of abuse. (mind you, you dont land from jumps with the throttle pinned). i only run my flux on 6s and the slipper is locked down as hard as i could get it. there is no way in hell it would have lasted one run the way hpi says to set it up in the manual, but being a long time savage fanboy i locked 'er down before the first run. people come on the savage forum all the time asking about why their truck wont move.....very common.-scott

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.