Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

fuel and glow plug question-revo and savage

Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

fuel and glow plug question-revo and savage

Old 03-10-2011, 05:20 PM
pauly187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel and glow plug question-revo and savage

so as of right now im running Traxxas 3232X Super Duty Long Glow Plug
which are medium plugs on both my savage ss k4.6 and revo 3.3
im using torco 20% fuel which is awesome have no issues and temps are down ive noticed
my question is im thinking of buying both 30% and 20% and mixing them to get a 25% mix
do you think i would be getting better resualts with this or should i stick to whats working for me?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:50 PM
jackripped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: fuel and glow plug question-revo and savage

l find 25% to run awesome, and cooler.Im in australia though, where its very humid and hot.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:07 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Default RE: fuel and glow plug question-revo and savage

I've ran 25% for the last year and havent had any problems running it (even with hot plugs). I quit using traxxas plugs though - I found McCoy's to last longer and are cheaper for me. I dont know how much fuel costs in your area, but 30% fuel is about $38 a gallon and 20% being $31 a gallon around here. Sometimes my LHS has 25% fuel and that ran me about $35 a gallon. Personally I'd run the 20% fuel on a hot glow plug and be happy with it.

I have all of the chemicals to make my own fuel and I'm going to switch back to running 20% nitro in my car engines. I can mix a gallon of 20% nitro/12% castor oil for about $18 a gallon. A gallon of 0% nitro fuel would cost me about $10 but I dont know if I can get the compression high enough to get the same performance from it vs. the 20% nitro.

The more nitromethane in the fuel, the hotter combustion will be and thus more heat in the engine. If I were to run 25% again, I'd up the oil content to about 14% vs. the 12% I normally run just because of the extra heat. Methanol does an awesome job of cooling the engine - the reason why a rich fuel mixture will run so much cooler than a lean mixture. More nitro means less methanol which means more heat at optimum fuel mixture. If your engine runs cooler on higher nitro, its probably just a bit rich of peak mixture.